Experience with medicine for motion sickness

Rhianna.07

DIS Family Page
Hi all! My mother gets motion sickness on simulators and rollercoasters - especially things that spin! I'm trying to get her to venture out more so she can enjoy more of what Disney has to offer (including RoTR which I think she would get motion sickness from). Has anyone had a good experience using a motion sickness medicine like dramamine or another that is good for people who have moderate to severe motion sickness? Thank you!

I get bad motion sickness and have vertigo. The thing that has worked best for me is the Transderm-Scop patch. I use it when cruising and found that it really helps at amusement parks to keep the motion sickness at bay. The downside is that it can make you really sleepy when you first put it on and leave you with dry mouth. However, it is better than getting sick! I hope that you are able to find something to help your mother enjoy her trip!

Every single motion sickness drug works on the same basic pharmacology.

its depresses the central nervous system to lessen the “moving” sensation. This means it makes tou sleepy so you do not notice it as much.

There are only 3 medications that are sold US for this. 2 are over the counter , 1 is RX.

You will see some advertised as “Less Drowsy” that does not mean NO drowsy.....it means slightly less than worse.

The disadvatage to the patch is its a 3 day therapy and if you have issues with it you cannot just take it off and put it back on.

You should not drink operate a car or anything like that with any of them.

They will all dehydrate you and can constipate you, or make you more sensitive to heat. So lots of water if you take them.

I’m a pharmacist with terrible motion sickness. Like the above poster mentioned, Transdermal-Scop (scopolamine) is the most effective motion sickness medication we have on the market in the US when put to clinical studies. It is prescription only. It is important that she applies the patch behind her ear at least 4 hours before riding any rides. It can be left on for 72 hours. Some people can not tolerate the patch due to drowsiness, dry mouth, and blurry vision. Other over the counter remedies are dimenhydrinate (brand name: Dramamine) or Meclizine (Bonine or Dramamine N). It is important to check the ingredient label for the active medication which is dimenhydrinate or meclizine). Brand names change. Dimenhydrinate and meclizine both can cause drowsiness, dry mouth, and blurry vision. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can also be used. These should be taken at least an hour before riding any rides. There are many people who find their own remedies such as ginger, sucking on apples and lemons, wrist bands, and counter maneuvers like sitting in the front of a roaster. In clinical studies, these remedies do not stand up very well, but may work for some people. It is also very possible that no medication works to combat her motion sickness, even Transderm Scop. The remedies we have today are not effective for all motion sickness sufferers. I find my vacation much more enjoyable if I avoid the rides that make me sick. Space Mountain once made me lose 24 hours of our trip!

I suffer from motion sickness and have had good luck with Bonine. I get the 24 hour one and take it before I go to bed. I've found that helps with the drowsy issue. With it I've been able to do most of the rides that gave me motion sickness, although the tea cups are still a firm "no" for me.

When we went to Universal, I took 24hr Bonine. Took it the night before. It helped a little bit, but the simulators make me so sick no amount of medicine can combat it. At Disney, I usually don't take anything since the only thing that makes me a little queasy is FOP and anything that really spins fast (tea cups). I avoid the tea cups, but that's about it.

Hi all! My mother gets motion sickness on simulators and rollercoasters - especially things that spin! I'm trying to get her to venture out more so she can enjoy more of what Disney has to offer (including RoTR which I think she would get motion sickness from). Has anyone had a good experience using a motion sickness medicine like dramamine or another that is good for people who have moderate to severe motion sickness? Thank you!
not to be a downer but my motion sickness which comes from inner ear problems and is not helped by any of the meds. and yes it is severe

I've been using the patch. It helps but some of the simulation rides are still doozies for me.

I'm another in the Bonine camp. Although I take one in the morning of a park day and I'm usually good all day. Sometimes in the evening I will start to feel it again, but I just take another as needed. But I am lucky in that the drowsiness does not impact me at all - it might not for you either.
Is there a way you can try the different options at a local park in advance of your Disney trip to see which might work best for you?
Good luck!

I am a Transderm Scop user. It is NOT covered by my insurance, so you might want to check that.

I get motion sickness easily, especially on simulators and spinning rides (Star Tours, teacups). I'm ok on coasters, except for the spiral part on space.
I can't take things like dramamine or anything else that says "may" cause drowsiness. I get so sleepy, it's not worth it for me. I have take Dramine Naturals, which is ginger, and that does help a little. It's cheaper to buy a big bottle of ginger root capsules at walmart for $4. That's what I do now. Also, if I do get motion sickness after a ride, drinking Coke (or pepsi) helps too.
I've noticed that if we do Star Tours after a meal, my motion sickness is worse. Not sure if that's just coincidence or not, but I try to plan Star Tours before we eat now.

Can someone explain without spoilers what about RotR causes motion sickness? Are there screens or spinning or something? I actually know very little about the ride because I want to be surprised, but I would like to be prepared for how sick it could make me feel. TIA!

I have pretty bad motion sickness and occasionally battle vertigo. I cannot use the scop patches because they effect my vision too much. I have had good success with meclizine (brand name Bonine). It is once every 24 hours, which makes it much easier to manage. I take one the night before I plan to ride and one every night of the trip before bed. I don't have drowsiness issues that way and do fine on rides. Before I started using it for the parks anything with a simulator made me miserable.

I take less drowsy Dramamine. They have chewable tablets which I take 20 ish minutes before I go on any ride I know bothers me. (One per day works) It doesn’t make me drowsy at all, and I don’t notice any side effects.

Less drowsy Dramamine is the only thing that works for me. It's not available here in Canada so it's one of our top delivery items when we arrive! Gravol makes me too drowsy.

Can someone explain without spoilers what about RotR causes motion sickness? Are there screens or spinning or something? I actually know very little about the ride because I want to be surprised, but I would like to be prepared for how sick it could make me feel. TIA!
I get motion sickness and won't go on simulator rides, but I can handle RotR just fine. There is one short section of simulator that is at the end of the ride and lasts about 30 seconds. I just close my eyes for that section of the ride and I am fine.

Just for reference, so people know what drug they are taking currently in 2020.

Meclizine= (Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Dramamine N, Antivert)

Dimenhydrinate= (Dramamine regular Chewables and original, Gravol products)

Ginger= (Dramamine Non Drowsy, Bonine Non Drowsy, Dramamine N) Yes, there are 2 different Dramamine Ns.

Diphenhydramine= (Benadryl)

Scopolamine (TransDerm Scop *** Prescription only***)

Always check the ingredients for the active drug (Meclizine, diphenhydramine, etc), and remember brand names are always changing. The brand names are for marketing purposes.

Last edited:
I've used everything over the years and nothing takes it away 100%, but my go-to is Bonine or Less Drowsy Dramamine. Both are Meclizine I believe. It helps and I don't have any issues with drowsiness. But that said there are still some rides that are too much for me. Spinning is out completely. And it didn't help a lot on RnRC last year. Simulators are awful for me, but I can tolerate some of them when taking meclizine.

Last edited:
The patch works like a dream for me. I am very prone to motion sickness but with the patch I can go below decks on a boat and also spend a day doing thrill rides with zero nausea. Only side effect is a slightly dry mouth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter