Experienced Disney Family looking For Help With 1st Cruise....

Jad102

Earning My Ears
So my family consists of 4: Myself, DW, DS9, and DD5. We've been to Disney about 8 times in the last 5 years and we absolutely love it. This year we went to DL instead of WDW as we are anxiously awaiting Toy Story Land opening in 2018.

Since it will likely be another 14 months before we get to go to WDW, we have decided (I think) to step into a Disney Cruise this winter. We feel very comfortable in WDW and I always have every day thoroughly planned well before we leave; however, the thought of doing a Disney Cruise scares me because I have no clue what I am doing.

We're looking at going in November on the Dream leaving Port Canaveral and doing a 3 night Cruise to the Bahamas. We think we want a room with a verandah and we may get adjoining rooms with my FiL & MiL, if they decide to go too.

What do I need to know?
Is there a thread somewhere that walks you through the process of boarding and what you need to do/bring?
We just ordered passports this week and were told we'd get them in 6 weeks, do I need to have the passport before I book?
Who's the best to book through?
What do I need to know for the kids activities beforehand?
Will we be disappointed since we're so use to the Park atmosphere?

Any info would be appreciated.

What do I need to know?
Is there a thread somewhere that walks you through the process of boarding and what you need to do/bring?
We just ordered passports this week and were told we'd get them in 6 weeks, do I need to have the passport before I book?
Will we be disappointed since we're so use to the Park atmosphere?

Any info would be appreciated.

First, this forum has lots of trip reports that talk about people's trips. However the main DCL forum is much more active and you can get lots more information there.

As far as boarding, DCL will give you a port arrival time and the a boarding group number once you arrive. You'll find that many people try to get on board as early as possible so they maximize their time especially on short cruises. Once on board, you can get lunch from the buffet, poolside restaurants, or a sit down restaurant.

Many people bring their swimsuits in their carry on bags so they can enjoy the pools right away. Rooms are ready around 1:30 but bags will arrive throughout the afternoon perhaps as late as dinner time.

Passports can be added later.

I choose to use a travel agent who offers on board credit. We use Small World Vacations, others use Costco, and this board is sponsored by Dreams Unlimited.

Kids activities are largely open to all. The exception is that there are some meet and greets that can be booked online before you board.

I haven't done the parks as an adult, but I love how relaxing the cruises are and that everyone, adult and child alike, can find fun things to do.

Just to give you an idea from us (I do have a trip report somewhere in there with pics and everything if interested), we are a big WDW family (as in our 4 year old has been like 6 times). We booked a 4 night cruise because it was cheaper than a 4 night WDW vacation, and went in knowing nothing. So, having done this just a few months ago (and going again soon), I'll take a stab at some of this to help you.

What do I need to know?
A few things that helped us.
  • This is like what I always think Disney used to be. Service is the best. You get free soda, free food (you can up-pay if you want to go really fancy), and the kids club is free. There are tons of activities each day, and we legit had trouble getting our child to leave the kids club. Kids club is also available on Castaway Cay when you go there if you want to go to the adult only area at any time (and I would DEFINITELY do that).
  • Verandah room size includes the verandah, so keep in mind the actual size of the living space in the room can be a bit smaller. Also, Deluxe Ocean view gives you a HUGE port window (one you can sit in). We had the port window last time and loved it, but went verandah this time.
  • The Disney Cruise App is KEY for your phone. So if you sign up once you get on, you get some free data, but even after your data is gone, the app still works. And the app tells you what is going on, and allows you to "Text" each other through the app (including other rooms). It was a great day to tell my father that we were off to eat lunch for example when he was having a drink somewhere while we were at the pool.
  • People will decorate their doors (doors are metal, so magnets work). Helps the kids some in finding the room and kind of fun.
  • I wouldn't worry as much about adjoining rooms. We liked being a few rooms down from each other when we went. You can get on the same deck, and close by, and that way whoever you go with can pick the type of room they prefer (some people love the inside rooms for example just for the animated port hole, others want the ocean view for the more livable space).
  • Splurge on your food. People order multiple entrees/desserts ALL THE TIME. Don't worry about it. If the steak and the fish look good, get both and just eat parts of both.
  • If you are beer drinkers, there is a mug club deal where you get 22 ounces for the price of 16. Works out to you needing to drink around 7 drinks on your trip, but you can keep the mug, and it is a nice glass mug (nothing like what you get in Epcot)

I'm sure there is, but if you use a travel agent, they can help you with all of that as well. Basically bring with you anything you think you may need for the first few hours on the ship (your bags won't arrive until that night), so that would include sunscreen, bathing suits, phones, medicine.

Nope, you are good, you can put that in later.

Any travel agent who offers you the onboard credit deal. We used Dreams Unlimited (who sponsor the boards and the Dis), but take your pick, there are multiple reputable agents. I never would have used one if not for the onboard credit, but that in itself is worth it.

It is amazing. They have all sorts of activities from science to cooking to video games. There are many different areas from a replica Millenium Falcon, to Andy's Room, to Pixie Hollow (let me state here we were on the Dream). They also have all the Disney Infinity stuff. If your child doesn't like sitting for dinner with you, they offer meals there as well. Also, as I mentioned before, it is also on Castaway Cay which is really cool.

One other amazing thing is it felt very secure. You can give rights to other rooms (for example, your MIL and FIL) to check the kids in and out. But, to get kids out, they have to scan your card, and your picture pops up on the screen, along with the picture of your child. They can then tell you which room your child is in through the band they have to wear. You then need to scan again on the way out, and you have to give the secret code you had set up in pre-booking. Really was a great system, with a LOT of cast members there taking care of everyone.

Will we be disappointed since we're so use to the Park atmosphere

So this is an interesting question. We honestly didn't at all. We are going again, and are adding just 2 days at WDW to get a chance to see Pandora. But our child likes the smaller rides, and she loves the characters. There are more characters on board then you will know what to do with, and the Aqua Duck was a favorite for a bit (bit) of a thrill. Also, you get Disney movies all over, and the attention to detail/service is a cut above what you see at WDW. Honestly, when we got off, our only regret was we wish we had a longer cruise.

Hi we are just away to embark on our 2nd cruise doing Barcelona to New York transatlantic this time our last one was 5 nights out of Barcelona. Both times we have booked direct with Disney as was cheaper than travelagents were from Scotland so even managed to get decent prices for flights. The mouse has tips on secret rooms on the ships. All kids stuff is free unless you want them to take part in royal tea parties/bibbity Bobity.
Tips
1) take what u need for checking in as you won't have luggage till later on in the day.
2)refillable mugs are great for taking back to your room.
3)if u have a verendah room take pegs with you for drying ur wet clothes.
4)pop up laundry baskets are great too for storing dirty clothes and for walking to laundry with. You can also purchase 3in 1 laundry sheets for taking with you great for doing washing.
5)kids clubs are amazing your kids won't want to come out (take character pajamas they usually do a pluto pajama party) if you do late dining they feed the kids first so they can be collected from Restaurant so you can enjoy the rest of your meal in peace.
6) I always pay my gratuitys before we sail then it's not coming off my holiday spends.
7) disney characters are on the go all the time but download ur disney navigation app great to keep an eye on times/events and for communication with other members on your cruise.
8)door magnets are great to decorate your door we never did it last time but I bought from eBay for this cruise.
9) have fun visit the ports and enjoy the amazing Disney experience.
10)they also have pin trading nights onboard and books within shops to trade with.

Enjoy can't wait till we go now at 55 days xx

My first piece of advice would be to do at least 4 days. Embarkation day and debarkation day are busy/ hectic...give yourself time to enjoy.
Second, I'd say pack half what you think you will need. A couple pair shorts, handful of Ts for daytime, slacks, skirt or easy dress for nights, swimsuit, workout gear if you are into that.
Third, assuming you plan to let your kids go to the kids clubs (you should), make sure they go the first night. It is sort of a get to know you.
Fourth, don't stress. You don't have to do everything that it is possible to do. It is easy to get sucked into that mentality, especially on this forum. You will get a newsletter each night with the next day's activities, circle what looks interesting.
Disney does a good job of letting you know what to do, just read what they send you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter