Experiences at Dog-Friendly Disney Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did you go? There was a training program there recently where service dogs in-training were invited to the parks. So, if you were there then, those dogs hadn’t “graduated” so they wouldn’t have appeared like service dogs b/c they technically weren’t, but they were legitimately in the parks.
We were at the Wilderness Lodge recently and we saw a group of service dogs in training, including a couple of Labrador puppies. I think this was either March 2nd or 3rd. Could this have been part of the group that you are referring to?

We were at Fort Wilderness for breakfast and took the boat to MK from there. There was a woman on the boat with her dog in an elaborate stroller, clearly a pet, but wearing a service dog collar. I have no doubt in my mind that she was passing the pet off as a service dog. The bag check people let her through bag check but I never saw if she made it all the way into the park.

We stayed at POR in December (had booked before dog policy came out) and I was pleasantly surprised with the experience. I called once I found out about the new policy to inform them I had allergies, and they assured us our room (Royal Room, ended up in Parterre first floor) would be deep cleaned before our arrival. It must have been (or else no dogs had stayed there) because I am quite sensitive and had no reaction. I saw several people walking dogs on leashes each day in the morning and evening, but all dogs seemed well behaved, and the paths were wide enough I could keep a good distance and avoid an allergic reaction from being accidentally greeted by a dog. No barking that I heard, but I am a deep sleeper. I did see some suspicious "service dogs" in the parks though--I wish people would be a little more rule-abiding and not buy those vests online. I imagine the experience of a crowded park could be stressful for an untrained dog, and it would be really tragic if a guest is attacked because a dog's owners put their pet in a situation that it was unprepared for.

We just returned from 6 nights at the Yacht Club, 4th floor water view by the wedding gazebo. We saw several dogs at the resort during our stay. The first afternoon at about 4:00 we were napping in our room and could hear a small dog barking for about 30 minutes. The next morning we saw a very well behaved yellow lab with his people on the back porch area. My husband saw a man walking a small dog on the lawn near the gazebo. Other than that we did not see any dogs at the resort. We did see quite a few dogs in the parks - most of them did look like true service animals, with the exception of one small dog who was being pushed in a small dog stroller. We saw a few at Disney Springs as well including a small dog in a Minnie dress and an Australian Sheppard puppy who looked very uncomfortable around all of the noise and people.

We were at Boatwrights for dinner back in February, I think the 16th. And someone had a golden retriever with them walking down into the restaurant and then we saw them take the dog into the bar area, it did not have a vest on to indicate a service animal. We then spent 6 days at Vero beach resort and saw two dogs there being walked by owners and neither had any indication of them being service animals. We were talking to a cast member about it and she said they cannot question if the animal is a service animal I find this hard to believe but I am not sure. Since Vero is not dog friendly I do not know why these dogs were there. I was on the elevator when the one dog and owner came in, but the owner did ask me if it was ok to bring the dog in or he would wait I told him it was fine. I am a cat person but I don't mind dogs.

We were at Yacht Club for five nights at the beginning of March. We saw three dogs. All were well behaved. Heard one dog faintly barking only once - just down from our room on our floor (ground floor), but it did not continue long.

Overall, I wasn’t impacted at all by their presence. And I have a feeling we were in the “dog section.”

Last edited:

We were at YC club level since Saturday. Have seen no dogs around the resort at all. Saw a service dog in training a couple of times in the last day or 2 in the park & at Disney Springs. I think it was the same dog & handler. And she is truly training the dog. I also saw one poor little dog in Epcot Tuesday. I felt bad for the poor little thing. He was a little dog who seemed a little pudgy, walking on a leash, on all that hot pavement & he seemed a little skittish with all the crowds around. And his owner walked right into Electric Umbrella with him. No service vest on.

We returned from our Easter trip. Thankfully only saw 2 dogs at Animal Kingdom and both were not service dogs. One was being carried and it had a vest; the other had no vest, was on a retractable leash that was wrapped around the owner's legs while both people were immersed in the cell phones so much that they did not even notice what the dog was doing. I called POFQ directly to request to be away from any dogs, so not problem at the resort. I also filled out the survey sent out my trip and stated very plainly my views on this policy with the hopes the cancel it.

On April 21 at Yacht Club I saw two bulldogs in the line to check in. This seems to be allowed by the policy. That same day, I also saw a small dog urinating in a grassy area behind the Yacht Club, that was not marked as a pet relief area, while the dog's owners (a couple) watched. I believe this is not allowed by the policy, but there was apparently no enforcement. Also made me wonder how much of the rest of the grass outside of the pet relief areas contains liquid and solid dog waste.

We just returned from YC, 4/8-4/15. The guests across the hall had a dog but I never heard or saw it. I saw one poor dog in the lobby that was very upset and afraid because of the fireworks and the many people in the lobby. He really just wanted to be somewhere else. I truly felt sorry for that dog. The only dogs I saw in the parks were true service dogs who were handling the crowds very well.

Just returned from a 6 night stay at POR building 24 with our 3lb Pomeranian. It was amazing! She was welcomed with lots of cool Disney logo things like a Pluto mat, bowls and bags for her stay. We stayed at AOA last Nov and we received a nice bag of goodies but now they have the Disney logo! So nice. Disney really made us and her feel welcome. I saw a few other fur babies while there and all were well behaved. I cant say enough good things about our trip.

Spent April 22-28 at the Yacht Club in a room overlooking the quiet pool. We spent every afternoon around the resort and I sat out in the balcony every evening. We did not see, hear or smell any dogs at the resort.

We saw two dogs in the Magic Kingdom and one on our airplane, but nothing at the Yacht Club. The new dog policy did not impact us at all.

I am seeing many different post on animals at resorts.
Is it true that it is just 4 resorts.........or is it every resort allows animals but mainly just first floor?
I have seen so many different answers even by WDW. TIA

I just stayed in a cabin at FW April 20 - 27 and we brought our two Boston Terriers with us. We did have a daily room check and after about the first day the staff knew about the times we'd be there. Our one pup is diabetic and has to be fed and given insulin injections on a pretty routine schedule so we were always around late afternoon. We never did set up housekeeping but once we did call for fresh towels and soap. We were given a "doggie" bag that's a cinch sack with plastic food and water bowls, a placemat, a dog tag, a special door tag stating that dogs are in the room and a roll of poop bags. FW has always been dog friendly so it's not really a surprise to see dogs out and about with their owners. My furbabies had a great time and enjoyed all the new smells and encounters with different critters than they get to see here in PA!

Just got back after 7 nights at Grand Floridian. This is not a "dog resort". However, we saw a medium-sized mixed breed dog, in a stroller with cover (not a service animal)...with it's owners...AS THEY BROUGHT THEIR DOG INTO THE CAFE ONE MORNING FOR BREAKFAST! Not ONE Cast Member said a word to this guest. I was completely stunned. I love dogs to death, but do not want to be eating or sleeping with them. It was ridiculous, and not fair to the other guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!