Experiences with masks in heat

mala55

Mouseketeer
We have plans to go to Universal Orlando in late September for my daughter’s 13th bday. I’m not a sure we will keep our plans, but will be very disappointed if we end up cancelling. We will continue to monitor the number of cases in Florida and across the country, but my biggest concern is wearing a mask all day and in the heat. Can anyone that has been recently, share your experience?

After a few hours you forget it’s there. Universal has many indoor rides/queues and we found it very doable and less crowded than average for this time of year! Obviously base your decision on comfort, but we went a few weeks back (from out of state) and had a fantastic time!

Haven't been to the parks themselves but kind of feel the same way when wearing it around outside here for work and stuff. After awhile you forget about it. Plus can get in air conditioning a lot and if need a break they have the rest areas in the park.

I live here. Heat indexes have been over 100 recently. Late September shouldn't be as hot as it is right now. My best advice is to make sure the mask isn't too tight around the mouth. I had been fine wearing a pleated mask, but I found that the clamshell type are more comfortable now that it's so hot here. You need a good fit around the jawline, but I think the space around your lips helps.

I got a sweat wicking gaiter/neck buff for our trip in August. They are typically used by fishermen and cyclists so they are designed for the heat. Breathable, sweat wicking, plus the one I got is rated UV50 so will keep my neck from getting sunburn. Since you wear them around your neck, you just pull it up over your mouth/nose when needed, then down when you don't need it. No ear straps or anything else tugging on you.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read on another Disney site that neck gaitors are not allowed at WDW. Don't know about Universal though. Not sure, been wrong before, but you might check with Universal before your trips. These neck gaitors sound great, IMO.

I just got back. I’m a big baby when it comes to masks and it took a bit to find one that I didn’t feel I was suffocating in, which ended up being a dual layered cotton design with a hepa filter that didn’t touch my mouth or under my nose.
Anyway, I was able to wear the mask all day without a problem. The worst part was that I could feel the sweaty cotton under my chin (so, really not that big of a deal). Breathing was fine. None of the kids had problems either.

We did it a couple of weeks ago and did already. Sure, it gets a bit aggravating at times, but for the most part we really didn't notice it until the end of the day. We also have a 5-year old who had no problems keeping it on and never complained about it.

We have plans to go to Universal Orlando in late September for my daughter’s 13th bday. I’m not a sure we will keep our plans, but will be very disappointed if we end up cancelling. We will continue to monitor the number of cases in Florida and across the country, but my biggest concern is wearing a mask all day and in the heat. Can anyone that has been recently, share your experience?

FL Panhandle here. I’ve done all day zoo and shopping trips with no issues with my asthma. It’s a matter of getting used to them and not going into the day resenting the requirement to wear one.

it also helps that I used to live in Japan , where wearing masks is a normal cultural thing. I understand the reason why asymptomatic people need to be wearing them.

Here now we spent from July 1st until today in and out of Universals 3 parks and Disney Springs. In Universal saw many people with the neck gaitor masks. I mind the masks and I sweat a lot to begin with, but did try several including from Kohls, Disney, and Vera Bradley. The easiest for me in the heat were the plain blue disposable ones. I kept several dry clean masks in my bag each day.

Thank you! Your experiences make me hopeful and make it sound bearable. I think I’ll experiment with various masks types. I think my husband will like the gaitors best and I like the idea of the plain blue disposables. I’ll bring a bunch of different kinds.
Stay healthy!!!

FL Panhandle here. I’ve done all day zoo and shopping trips with no issues with my asthma. It’s a matter of getting used to them and not going into the day resenting the requirement to wear one.

it also helps that I used to live in Japan , where wearing masks is a normal cultural thing. I understand the reason why asymptomatic people need to be wearing them.
Thank you! Your experiences make me hopeful and make it sound bearable. I think I’ll experiment with various masks types. I think my husband will like the gaitors best and I like the idea of the plain blue disposables. I’ll bring a bunch of different kinds.
Stay healthy!!!

I'm glad I came across this thread, we have a trip in the fall that we've been considering canceling because we didn't think it would be to fun to walk around Universal w/ a mask. I've been using those blue disposable masks and my husbands been using a gator here at home....I just bought a few different masks to try and see if we like better.

We’re here now. Both hubby and I wore the disposable blue masks today and they were pretty great. Hubs also had a mission gaitor and he preferred the disposable one for the parks. He sweats a lot and the mask held up fine.

Stay healthy!!!

If you know someone who sews, maybe they can help out by making some for you. There are dozens of patterns available, and making a reusable mask costs maybe a dollar and you can get the fit you need. I've been making them for family and friends and once you find the fit that is most comfortable, you can get a bunch made.

We just got back on Friday. I was prepared with various types of masks--disposable, neck gaiters, and homemade ones. We ended up preferring the ones that Universal sells for $6, or 3 for $15. They are really comfortable and can be thrown in the washer and dryer. The inside is made of a t-shirt type of fabric, and the outside is a polyester. As we were leaving, they had just put out new ones that were Despicable Me and Harry Potter themes.

We just got back on Friday. I was prepared with various types of masks--disposable, neck gaiters, and homemade ones. We ended up preferring the ones that Universal sells for $6, or 3 for $15. They are really comfortable and can be thrown in the washer and dryer. The inside is made of a t-shirt type of fabric, and the outside is a polyester. As we were leaving, they had just put out new ones that were Despicable Me and Harry Potter themes.
Yeah - Everyone has been very happy with these from what I have seen - and the price is reasonable.

I did see one vlogger talking about his Disney mask and the ear strap snapped - not sure what the story was but be aware. The Disney masks are interesting but may not be as well made as the universal ones.

Our family is also here now. I would say that breathing has not been an issue at all with any masks we’ve tried. We haven’t felt like passing out. The main issue has been sweating in the humidity.

I haven’t tried the disposable masks but will try them to see if they are more comfy. We have poly masks & they get soaked with sweat. We just bought the park brand masks & I’m hoping they will be more comfy.

We just returned from 4 days at Universal and it was a lot more manageable then I expected. The heat didn't bother much. The biggest problem I had was glasses fogging up, which was simply intensified from the outside heat/indoor air conditioning combination.

I used a disposable mask and the rest of the family used reusable cloth masks. No issues with sweat. It became a normal thing after awhile. The biggest problem are family all had was bad breath. lol! After a meal heavy with garlic, is was.... um.... interesting!

We just returned from 4 days at Universal and it was a lot more manageable then I expected. The heat didn't bother much. The biggest problem I had was glasses fogging up, which was simply intensified from the outside heat/indoor air conditioning combination.

I used a disposable mask and the rest of the family used reusable cloth masks. No issues with sweat. It became a normal thing after awhile. The biggest problem are family all had was bad breath. lol! After a meal heavy with garlic, is was.... um.... interesting!

Yes! The mask issue no ones been talking about. 😂

Our family is also here now. I would say that breathing has not been an issue at all with any masks we’ve tried. We haven’t felt like passing out. The main issue has been sweating in the humidity.

I haven’t tried the disposable masks but will try them to see if they are more comfy. We have poly masks & they get soaked with sweat. We just bought the park brand masks & I’m hoping they will be more comfy.

Have you tried the park masks yet? Are they comfortable? We'll be down there soon and I'm gathering all our masks so we have a variety but I'm sure the kids will want UO specific ones, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter