Experiences with masks in heat

I'm conflicted with this. We have a mid-October trip planned, and frankly by the time it gets here we are really going to need the break, so unless anything radically changes, I think we will go. With that being said, I've accepted that wearing masks is what is required for me to go, and I'm happy to comply. But I'm a heavy water drinker, a sipper, rather than a sit and drink it all down and go. It'll be weird to me not to be able to just take a drink of water, although no it's not a big deal to pull off and take a sip, it's just a odd behavior for ME to do with I'm a constant sipper.

I'm conflicted with this. We have a mid-October trip planned, and frankly by the time it gets here we are really going to need the break, so unless anything radically changes, I think we will go. With that being said, I've accepted that wearing masks is what is required for me to go, and I'm happy to comply. But I'm a heavy water drinker, a sipper, rather than a sit and drink it all down and go. It'll be weird to me not to be able to just take a drink of water, although no it's not a big deal to pull off and take a sip, it's just a odd behavior for ME to do with I'm a constant sipper.

I did see some people have the reusable straw type bottles that they slipped up under their masks for sips. I personally found it easier to just pull to the side, take a few sips, then move on, but this might be an option for people.

But I'm a heavy water drinker, a sipper, rather than a sit and drink it all down and go. It'll be weird to me not to be able to just take a drink of water, although no it's not a big deal to pull off and take a sip, it's just a odd behavior for ME to do with I'm a constant sipper.

I'm with you...I'm an avid runner, cyclist, hiker and drink water all day long. I have a very small, lightweight Mountain Hardware backpack I have been using in the parks for quite some time and in the summer months have used a small, insulated camelbak bladder. I fill it with ice in the morning, refill with water until lunch and then re-add ice and I'll just hit it as I walk (the same way I would when I hike). My wife and daughter on the other hand prefer to drink out of a bike bottle and will drink 1/2 bottle or so in a queue.

Is it a plan ender, no...not at all.

So far, you don’t have to be stationary to eat/drink at Uni. Just have to be 6+ feet away from people in every direction. Disney you have to be stationary. Sometimes walkways are so deserted there’s not another person for 20+ feet away- I don’t stop to drink if that’s the case.

Just wanted to mention that we were at Universal last week, and i was very worried about how my family would do with masks in the heat. Now we didnt spend a whole lot of time at the parks, we were mostly at the RPR pool, but we had no issues whatsoever. To be precise, Hagrid's was the only attraction we did with an outside queue, but we did Minions, walk to Gringotts then inside queue, then walk to Men In black inside queue, then walk to Transformers inside queue, etc, etc. The inside queues are all kept at a nice refreshingly cool temperature, so i really felt the mask in heat issue was not really an issue at all.

So, are gaiters currently ok or not?

what about face shields?

both stated permissible on most attractions last I checked

Just wanted to mention that we were at Universal last week, and i was very worried about how my family would do with masks in the heat. Now we didnt spend a whole lot of time at the parks, we were mostly at the RPR pool, but we had no issues whatsoever. To be precise, Hagrid's was the only attraction we did with an outside queue, but we did Minions, walk to Gringotts then inside queue, then walk to Men In black inside queue, then walk to Transformers inside queue, etc, etc. The inside queues are all kept at a nice refreshingly cool temperature, so i really felt the mask in heat issue was not really an issue at all.

Thanks for your take on the masks in the heat. I'm feeling that the tide has turned and we will most likely go ahead w/ our trip.

So, are gaiters currently ok or not?

what about face shields?

both stated permissible on most attractions last I checked

I believe at this time, gaiters are still allowed at Orlando. For a Face Shield to be acceptable (from UO website):

If you have a disability that prevents you from wearing a face covering, please contact Guest Services about our alternate accommodation, which is to wear a face shield during your visit. Face shields must cover your nose and mouth, wrap around the sides of your face, and extend to below your chin. Please note that face shields are not permitted on certain attractions, and guests will have to switch to a face covering for those experiences. Please refer to our Guide for Rider Safety and Accessibility for all ride requirements.

We went at the end of July for 5 days when the heat index was between 90-100 degrees. The only time I really noticed the mask was in IoA Hogwarts area, we just couldn't seem to find any shade, other than that it was hardly noticeable. I will say that we totally ditched all the masks we brought and bought the ones that universal was selling. They were comfortable and breathable and soaked up some of the sweat. We would wash them every night in the sink and they would be dry by morning. I am so glad that we kept our trip. Crowds were low and hand sanitizer was abundant.

I agree that Universal's masks are awesome and really comfy! I'm hoping to get DS another Ravenclaw one next month because his mask developed a hole in the washer after we got home.

I agree that Universal's masks are awesome and really comfy! I'm hoping to get DS another Ravenclaw one next month because his mask developed a hole in the washer after we got home.

Thanks for mentioning this - we generally use the disposable ones, I feel it's so hard (for me) to judge how a mask will feel & fit when shopping online, however I knew we needed some masks, so I ordered two of the Universal ones just now. Hopefully they fit well and work for us!

We were also down end of july/beg of august. My kids liked the Universal ones the best. My husband and I found them to be very comfortable, but a tad hot with the heat so we mostly wore the disposable masks during the day, but in the evenings and in areas that were more climate controlled we all found the Universal ones to be very comfortable.

The Universal masks are awesome and so comfortable. My son was complaining that the disposable ones hurt his ears so we tried the Universal ones. Liked them so much that we bought four more so we could switch them out. Plus I have to wear masks at work so I have a nice reminder :drinking:

I notice that online the Universal store has medium and large size masks. Is that like a child and adult size? Or are there different sizes at the parks?
They also only have a few designs online, and only the single masks. Are other designs and the 4 pack only sold onsite?
Thanks!

I notice that online the Universal store has medium and large size masks. Is that like a child and adult size? Or are there different sizes at the parks?
They also only have a few designs online, and only the single masks. Are other designs and the 4 pack only sold onsite?
Thanks!

They're adult sizes but from what I understand the size difference is in the length of the ear loops rather than the mask itself. I, my 13-year-old DD and 11-year-old son all wore medium masks (although we had to do a twist to the ear loops on one of his to get it to fit well). DH wears a large. There is no 4 pack of masks - you mix and match the designs and sizes and are given a discount at checkout.

They're adult sizes but from what I understand the size difference is in the length of the ear loops rather than the mask itself. I, my 13-year-old DD and 11-year-old son all wore medium masks (although we had to do a twist to the ear loops on one of his to get it to fit well). DH wears a large. There is no 4 pack of masks - you mix and match the designs and sizes and are given a discount at checkout.
Thank you very much. :)

For those who were in the parks recently, did you notice young toddlers struggling with masks and how workers responded? We have a new 2yo who lasts maybe 5 - 10 minutes tops in a mask. I think we will have to hold off on a last minute trip unless I can get him to wear it a little longer. The last time I tried this weekend, he ripped it off after 2 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter