Experts say face masks can help slow COVID-19, despite previous claims

That's for the N95 masks. Not the cloth ones that people are making. I don't think there is a test for how effective they are as they really don't filter much. They are just to catch the droplets coming out of one's mouth.
There's a way to add a disposable filter into the homemade masks. If you need a pattern I can track it down for you as I've read so many stories about people DIYing masks but haven't bookmarked any yet.

No it's not. It is based on what I have been told by both the federal and state CDC.

It is based on my mother's oncologist telling us years ago to get a box of surgical masks for her home so visitors could wear them and not pass germs on to her.

It is based on my doctor's office that has always required people who are coughing to wear a surgical mask.

It is based off of a current discussion with 3 of my aunts who are retired nurses and who all agreed that it makes sense for people who are infected to wear a mask to prevent spreading of the virus.

It is based on common sense. Would you rather touch the hand of a guy who just sneezed into a cloth or the guy who just sneezed into his bare hands?
We are actually talking about two diametrically opposed situations. You are talking about infected people, or people contacting someone with a weakened immune system.

I am talking about the general public in a pandemic.

Yes, of course infected people should wear masks to keep from spreading whatever they have. That has been common practice in Asia for decades, but unfortunately is not usually practiced in the US. But is it a great idea in THIS situation -- absolutely.

Yes, of course everybody should wear a mask in the presence of an immunocompromised person such as a cancer patient. If a person has a cold and displays symptoms later, it may be "Oh well" for them, but it could be a big problem for someone whose immune system can't fight off a cold.

But just because sick people should wear masks in certain situations doe NOT mean that is the only reason for wearing masks. Neither does it mean it is the primary reason for wearing masks.

The primary reason for people wearing masks while performing medical services OR the general public in a pandemic situation is to protect the wearer of the mask.

To suggest anything different is spreading misinformation (albeit well-meaning) and is unhelpful to people reading those incorrect statements.

We are actually talking about two diametrically opposed situations. You are talking about infected people, or people contacting someone with a weakened immune system.

I am talking about the general public in a pandemic.

Yes, of course infected people should wear masks to keep from spreading whatever they have. That has been common practice in Asia for decades, but unfortunately is not usually practiced in the US. But is it a great idea in THIS situation -- absolutely.

Yes, of course everybody should wear a mask in the presence of an immunocompromised person such as a cancer patient. If a person has a cold and displays symptoms later, it may be "Oh well" for them, but it could be a big problem for someone whose immune system can't fight off a cold.

But just because sick people should wear masks in certain situations doe NOT mean that is the only reason for wearing masks. Neither does it mean it is the primary reason for wearing masks.

The primary reason for people wearing masks while performing medical services OR the general public in a pandemic situation is to protect the wearer of the mask.

To suggest anything different is spreading misinformation (albeit well-meaning) and is unhelpful to people reading those incorrect statements.
I never said preventing other people from getting sick is the only reason to wear a mask.

Right now, in a sense, we are all immunocompromised because this is a novel virus that we don't have natural immunity to.

Since symptomatic, presymptomatic, and asymptomatic coronovirus carriers are contagious, we need to act like everyone has it.

Schrodinger's virus...we all both have the virus(need to protect others) and don't have the virus(need to protect ourselves).

N95 would be the ideal for everyone to wear, if worn properly, because it works both to prevent one from getting infected and also infecting others. Problem is
1. there aren't enough for everyone to wear and priority needs to be given medical professionals
2. They could give people a false sense of security
3. The average lay person is highly likely to wear the mask incorrectly.

If someone came by to visit my mother and said they wouldn't wear a mask to prevent transmission because "It is a chance I'm willing to take." I would have told them "It's not your chance to take."

There's a way to add a disposable filter into the homemade masks. If you need a pattern I can track it down for you as I've read so many stories about people DIYing masks but haven't bookmarked any yet.

Thanks. :thumbsup2 But, I'm good.

I think the key to medical personnel is that they're coming in direct contact with people who are known to be (or at least likely to be) infected and there's really no substitution for up-close contact with patients. At least in a non-hospital environment people can generally try to practice separation.

It's been kind of tough though since a lot of workers at "essential businesses" still come in close contact. At one market I saw a sign saying that customers could ask employee who were stocking to move to enforce distancing. It can be kind of difficult though in narrow aisles and around corners. And at a local Target they haven't removed the temporary shelves in the middle of aisles. A few stores I've been to have added plastic shields at checkout. However, many still have employees stationed at doors, so it may be difficult to enforce separation for everyone.

I never said preventing other people from getting sick is the only reason to wear a mask.

Right now, in a sense, we are all immunocompromised because this is a novel virus that we don't have natural immunity to.

Since symptomatic, presymptomatic, and asymptomatic coronovirus carriers are contagious, we need to act like everyone has it.

Yes, on GMA the other morning, they talked about viral load/viral dose, saying how even younger people are and have been dying from Coronavirus, possibly depending the the viral dose their body gets. If it's greater than their body's ability to fight it off, then they will die from it.

Here is the clip. I wish they had included the segment before, where they talked about younger people dying from it. This part is mostly focused on why the healthcare workers are likely coming down with it and having stronger symptoms. The more we all wear masks, the more we can contain it getting beyond our ourselves and dosing others or the environment. Or being dosed by others.

If someone came by to visit my mother and said they wouldn't wear a mask to prevent transmission because "It is a chance I'm willing to take." I would have told them "It's not your chance to take."
OH YEAH...absolutely NOT their decision!

I don't have much of a stash, but in the past few weeks my parents have dropped off care packages on our porch. Not sure why other than they feel like it. However, we got a bag with a set of assorted hospital masks. I think these are the kinds usually handed out at hospitals for visitors of immunocompromised patients. It's less than a dozen, but they include some of these:

32856_child_s_face_mask_disney_r_ages_4_12.jpg

image_8237.jpg

I wasn't sure where they were from. I thought maybe they might have picked them up in Asia on vacation (where wearing face masks has been common for years) but the Disney kids ones say HALYARD (the former Kimberly-Clark Healthcare) on them.

I'm not going to feel bad about using them. They actually fit pretty well and I don't believe what we got was meant for medical personnel.

Well, other people have to touch surfaces that you just coughed/sneezed/talked near. Of course people should continue all the other precautions. Wearing a mask just happens to be a precaution that benefits others more that one's self.
I learned as a child not to cough or sneeze without covering my mouth with my arm and how to wash my hands. Apparently, not everyone was taught the same. If you want to wear a mask and you somehow think it will protect you or others, knock yourself out.

I learned as a child not to cough or sneeze without covering my mouth with my arm and how to wash my hands. Apparently, not everyone was taught the same. If you want to wear a mask and you somehow think it will protect you or others, knock yourself out.
So you also talk into your arm???

I don't have much of a stash, but in the past few weeks my parents have dropped off care packages on our porch. Not sure why other than they feel like it. However, we got a bag with a set of assorted hospital masks. I think these are the kinds usually handed out at hospitals for visitors of immunocompromised patients. It's less than a dozen, but they include some of these:

image_8237.jpg

I wasn't sure where they were from. I thought maybe they might have picked them up in Asia on vacation (where wearing face masks has been common for years) but the Disney kids ones say HALYARD (the former Kimberly-Clark Healthcare) on them.

I'm not going to feel bad about using them. They actually fit pretty well and I don't believe what we got was meant for medical personnel.
I've actually seen docs and nurses wearing those in pedi ER's.

image_8237.jpg

Those are so cute!

I've actually seen docs and nurses wearing those in pedi ER's.

I looked them up on the manufacturer's website, and the only Disney ones I see are in the kiddie size.

Still not sure what the difference is between surgical masks (and levels) or procedure masks. This one seems to be marketed simply as a "child mask".

Those are so cute!

I need to ask my parents where they got them. As far as I can tell almost none of the usual sources has them. Every medical supply website is showing them out of stock. The only place I can find any price is here, and they're out of stock:

https://www.4mdmedical.com/procedure-mask-child-face-mask-disney-ages-4-12.html
The price doesn't seem too bad at about $22 for a box of 75. But at this point I'd expect that any source that has them might be price gouging. There's one source on eBay which is selling a box for $100.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter