expiration date extended for current ticket holders

Bought 5 day tickets from UT just hours before they stopped. Linked for a Dec 12 start date, and no extension showing yet. We are definitely going in May 2021 instead now. Hope the extension shows up, as we based our travel change decision off the language that all date specific tickets bought before 6/6/20 would automatically be extended.

Mine now say Sept 2021. What happens though, if you don't use them by then, can you use them as credit towards new tickets?

Mine now say Sept 2021. What happens though, if you don't use them by then, can you use them as credit towards new tickets?
Yes...Disney has recently stated that the value of expired tickets can be used toward the cost of new tickets (or AP).

Anyone have flex date tickets extended? My kids‘ show expiring January 2021.
Have your tickets been updated? I have a flexible ticket that is still showing use by 01/14/2021, as well. And I can't seem to find anything about the current policy for flexible tickets.

Have your tickets been updated? I have a flexible ticket that is still showing use by 01/14/2021, as well. And I can't seem to find anything about the current policy for flexible tickets.
WDW hasn't stated anything about the Flexible tickets, only "date-specific" tickets were mentioned as being extended into 2021. Depending when purchased, I believe some Flexible tickets are already good through 12/31/2021. It may be something they need to handle on a case-by-case basis.

WDW hasn't stated anything about the Flexible tickets, only "date-specific" tickets were mentioned as being extended into 2021. Depending when purchased, I believe some Flexible tickets are already good through 12/31/2021. It may be something they need to handle on a case-by-case basis.
That's the issue, yes: there doesn't appear to be a policy for flexible tickets. I don't understand why those who bought cheaper date-specific tickets essentially get a free upgrade to a flexible ticket and an extension, but those who paid more for flexible tickets don't even get an extension. For the record: I understand why they're making the dated tickets flexible and I have no issue with that, but not why the flex tickets seem to be getting punished now.

That's the issue, yes: there doesn't appear to be a policy for flexible tickets. I don't understand why those who bought cheaper date-specific tickets essentially get a free upgrade to a flexible ticket and an extension, but those who paid more for flexible tickets don't even get an extension. For the record: I understand why they're making the dated tickets flexible and I have no issue with that, but not why the flex tickets seem to be getting punished now.
As I said, it may be handled on a case-by-case basis because some of the Flexible tickets are already good through 2021. They can't do an automatic "change all Flex tickets to 9/26/2021" which I suspect is how the extension coding was done for regular date-specific tickets.

As I said, it may be handled on a case-by-case basis because some of the Flexible tickets are already good through 2021. They can't do an automatic "change all Flex tickets to 9/26/2021" which I suspect is how the extension coding was done for regular date-specific tickets.
I appreciate your input, but in that case shouldn't the policy reflect that? If they couldn't code "change all tickets expiring before 9/26/2021 (or 1/15/2021, even) to 9/26/2021" they could've at least added something to the policy to let us know who to contact to get it done. We're just in the dark now, as we have no way of knowing if our ticket will be extended, or if it slipped through the cracks.

Probably because at this point, trying to get the parks and resorts re-opened this summer, there is plenty of time for things to change before your ticket's current expiration date in December. They'll get to it. It's not an urgent issue for them right now and they aren't going to put out a phone number saying "call" because they aren't handling any ticket issues right now.

I realize it's a nagging question for you and you'd like answers. I think we just need to be patient and wait for those answers to come through.

My ticket looks like this in MDE (desktop, not the app). I’m assuming that it is good for admission on any 8 days between the start date and the last day it is valid. IOW, I could use 4 days during my trip in October and then use the other 4 any time before 09/27/2021.

Probably because at this point, trying to get the parks and resorts re-opened this summer, there is plenty of time for things to change before your ticket's current expiration date in December. They'll get to it. It's not an urgent issue for them right now and they aren't going to put out a phone number saying "call" because they aren't handling any ticket issues right now.

I realize it's a nagging question for you and you'd like answers. I think we just need to be patient and wait for those answers to come through.
Honestly, changing a 12/31/20 expiration date is no less urgent than extending the 12/15/20 date to 09/26/21. An extra 16 days of validity doesn't do us any good. With the park reservation system supposedly going up soon it's important to know what our options are.

Honestly, changing a 12/31/20 expiration date is no less urgent than extending the 12/15/20 date to 09/26/21
I suspect they did a blanket change to all date-specific tickets -- and some were "current" as in expiring now or even last week. So those needed to be dealt with sooner than tickets like Flex, of which only some expire in 2020 while others expire 2021 and isn't as simple a coding change.

Do you have a trip this summer? I expect only those with vacations this summer will be booking park reservations immediately, while those with plans in the fall and later may not see it open for a bit. I highly doubt they will have 2021 park reservations open anytime soon. They are literally taking this with baby steps - it's painfully slow to watch and wait.

No, they haven’t. Although there was a blog post from Kenny the Pirate that mentioned some guests’ flex tickets had been updated with new expiration date. Sorry, not sure I can post a link.

We are starting to feel skittish about taking our August trip due to increased percentage of cases in FL so I would need to be reassured of an extension before 6/30 (our DVC deadline). We cannot re-book before summer 2021. I will call eventually but I keep hoping news will bubble through. If I am forced to call, I will post whether I have any success.

My ticket looks like this in MDE (desktop, not the app). I’m assuming that it is good for admission on any 8 days between the start date and the last day it is valid. IOW, I could use 4 days during my trip in October and then use the other 4 any time before 09/27/2021.
View attachment 501492
I asked this exact question in the main Tickets thread, but Robo and someone else whom I can't recall just now stated that the usual expiration window would still apply once the ticket was used to enter a park. However, I sent an email to WDW itself and the help person confirmed what you said, that the days can be used in any manner you like through the updated expiration date.

So now, I anticipate one of two things will happen if I try to use two days out of my 6-day PH in August:
(1) The usual 9-day expiration clock will start running and my entire ticket will disappear on the 10th day.
(2) The four unused days will remain valid and I can show up in summer 2021 and use them.

Based on the way MDE words it, as well as what the WDW help person said, it seems like (2) must be correct. But two ticket maestros here did not agree. I plan to stop by the Disney Springs Ticket Center on arrival day and see what their story is.

I suspect they did a blanket change to all date-specific tickets -- and some were "current" as in expiring now or even last week. So those needed to be dealt with sooner than tickets like Flex, of which only some expire in 2020 while others expire 2021 and isn't as simple a coding change.

Do you have a trip this summer? I expect only those with vacations this summer will be booking park reservations immediately, while those with plans in the fall and later may not see it open for a bit. I highly doubt they will have 2021 park reservations open anytime soon. They are literally taking this with baby steps - it's painfully slow to watch and wait.
From what I've read those expiring now or next week had already been extended to December 15, 2020, though. So by definition there wouldn't have been any urgent "current" tickets left when they did the extension to 2021, as they all already had an expiration date in December.

No, they haven’t. Although there was a blog post from Kenny the Pirate that mentioned some guests’ flex tickets had been updated with new expiration date. Sorry, not sure I can post a link.

We are starting to feel skittish about taking our August trip due to increased percentage of cases in FL so I would need to be reassured of an extension before 6/30 (our DVC deadline). We cannot re-book before summer 2021. I will call eventually but I keep hoping news will bubble through. If I am forced to call, I will post whether I have any success.
I just called the "existing tickets" number, and quite frankly, the answer does not make any sense. They are insisting that flexible date tickets set to expire 1/14/2021 do not deserve an extension because they were purchased in 2019, and are therefore not affected by the park closures. But people who bought a dated ticket in 2019 for 2020 do qualify, because they are affected by the closures. My ticket was purchased in December 2019 for use in 2020 but they insist I'm not affected. It's ridiculous.

Thanks for mentioning the KtP post, I found it. However, if the ticket in the screenshot was purchased in 2020 then the expiration date always would've been 1/14/2022. So the screenshot doesn't really prove anything without knowing the date of purchase.

So for those of you who see extended expiration dates, were the tickets bought as part of a package booked thru Disney? Mine were part of our now cancelled free dining reservation. Got $330 off the reservation but still not seeing any change in the end date of the tickets.

I bought our tickets directly through Disney....we are staying off property (we have a condo)....and our tix have been updated to expire on 09/26/21. We are currently scheduled for Halloween Week.

I just called the "existing tickets" number, and quite frankly, the answer does not make any sense. They are insisting that flexible date tickets set to expire 1/14/2021 do not deserve an extension because they were purchased in 2019, and are therefore not affected by the park closures. But people who bought a dated ticket in 2019 for 2020 do qualify, because they are affected by the closures. My ticket was purchased in December 2019 for use in 2020 but they insist I'm not affected. It's ridiculous.

Thanks for mentioning the KtP post, I found it. However, if the ticket in the screenshot was purchased in 2020 then the expiration date always would've been 1/14/2022. So the screenshot doesn't really prove anything without knowing the date of purchase.

Well, that is a bummer. Thanks for sharing the information. Every day I want to go on this trip a little bit less, but we have so much nonrefundable money sunk into it at this point.

(Anyone reading this, please don’t counter with the “tickets never lose their value” bull. If you can only exchange tickets in person, surely you will lose advantage of making park reservations in advance just like FPs. I am not flying my family 2600 miles to be unable to access a park.)

I bought our tickets directly through Disney....we are staying off property (we have a condo)....and our tix have been updated to expire on 09/26/21. We are currently scheduled for Halloween Week.
Were the tickets scheduled for Halloween week when you bought them, or were they initially dated some time during the closure?

Well, that is a bummer. Thanks for sharing the information. Every day I want to go on this trip a little bit less, but we have so much nonrefundable money sunk into it at this point.

(Anyone reading this, please don’t counter with the “tickets never lose their value” bull. If you can only exchange tickets in person, surely you will lose advantage of making park reservations in advance just like FPs. I am not flying my family 2600 miles to be unable to access a park.)
Funnily enough, that is the exact bull they gave me on the phone. "You have to wait until ticket sales for 2021 open up again, and then apply the value of this ticket to a new one." But, of course, no one knows when that is. They did say I could do it on the phone, but I've never done it so I don't know for sure. I remember reading a post by someone who had a lot of trouble getting them to apply the value to a new ticket some time last year. They wrote that the CM treated them like it was not policy to do that, and that they should be very grateful that they were making an exception.

Btw, on the app the ticket page has text saying that the first use of the ticket should be on or before December 31, 2021. This is printed below the reassign ticket button. But the ticket itself says "valid through 01/14/2021". When I brought that up they told me they couldn't see it on their system. To say that I'm annoyed that a $170/day ticket is not getting an extension when all the cheaper ones are would be an understatement.

Were the tickets scheduled for Halloween week when you bought them, or were they initially dated some time during the closure?

The tickets were originally for Easter Week, then on May 1st, I moved the dates to Halloween Week....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter