"Extra items" Not covered in your DDP

surgefest

DIS Veteran
This is probably just a basic question. But lets say you have the dining plan for 2008 and you are at a table service restaurant and you want to order an appitizer. And then your meal and dessert and drink are all included in your ddp. What would happen. would we just get a bill for the apitizer?? Or anything for that instance. Anything we order thats not covered would we get a bill for just that and we can pay for that with cash?? Is it confusing to do that?? Thanks for your reviews!

It isn't confusing at all. You'll get one bill for your meals, which will be paid for with your meal plan credits, and another bill for any add ons, which you can pay with cash, credit, or your KTTW card.

Just keep in mind when paying the "add-on" tab that an 18% gratuity on the OOP items is automatically added to that bill - it took us a few meals to realize that, so for our first couple dinners, our waiters made about a 40% tip on the beer/wine we ordered. LOL

40% tip!!!??

they must have been doing the mother of all happy dances!!! :banana:

LOL! It wasn't on the whole tab, just on the $10 or $20 we spent on drinks, so it wasn't all that much in actual dollar figures. They got their 18% on the dining plan part of the meal, and then 18% automatic plus 15-20% OOP on the add-ons.

But if the tip is automatic, why would the automatically add it to additional items in 2008?

I don't know if they'll do it the same way for 2008, but something I read here led me to believe they will.

I understand why they've done it up to this point, because with the tip included on the dining plan, I'll bet a lot of people wouldn't have thought to tip on additional items that the plan didn't cover. In 2008, when the plan doesn't include the tip? I'm hoping they don't do the automatic tip on add-ons, because it'll make things that much more complicated to calculate.

Just keep in mind when paying the "add-on" tab that an 18% gratuity on the OOP items is automatically added to that bill

How come? That makes no sense to me. Am I missing something? And will that be different for the 2008 plan, since gratuities will no longer be included on the plan? I understand adding on a flat gratuity for a large party (6 or more, say), but not for a couple. This might put the kibosh on us ordering any type of add ons, based on sheer principle.

I don't see how they could automatically add a tip to say the bill for an appetizer, when there is no tip on the rest of the bill itself, [dining plan] and the tip is left to the descretion of the tipper, which is where it should be.
I would simply refuse to pay that bill as it was printed and would make them remove it removed from the bill if they did that. [I would then leave the tip based on the entire meal]

I would simply refuse to pay that bill as it was printed and would make them remove it removed from the bill if they did that. [I would then leave the tip based on the entire meal]

I hate to say it, but that's probably what we'd do. We're very generous tippers 99% of the time, but I don't like having tip amounts dictated to me, especially when I'll be on a dining plan that will have done away with the mandatory tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter