Eyeglasses in the parks

I can't wear contacts due to a dry eye condition so I have always worn glasses. No problems with 3D glasses, other than I'm sure I look ridiculous, but who's looking at me? :) I do wear Croakies on Rock n Roller Coaster. They might not even be necessary, but they make me feel better. I don't use Croakies on any other Disney ride.

Only one ride at Disney where i've nearly lost my (sun) glasses and it was my fault!
I have regular glasses and magnetic attaching sunglasses... I was on pirates and was holding the magnetic attachments when an 'air cannonball' happened to catch them and blew them straight out of my hand! Luckily my partner caught them, how she did I have no idea as it happened so fast!
Never had an issue on any other Disney ride though.

I always travel with a glasses strap so that I can slip it on in case I'm riding something where I'm concerned my glasses might come off. I also make sure that I pack a second pair of old glasses so that I have a backup pair, just in case. I would also add that if you don't always carry one, consider getting one of those tiny eyeglass kits. I did lose an eyeglass screw on a trip to Disneyland and having the kit on hand saved the day.

All of this.

This is a timely thread for me! I just ordered my first glasses. They should be here in a week and we leave for WDW in 24 days. It's great to know most rides are fine with glasses, and the 3D glasses aren't a problem, either. It's my distance vision that's bad, so I'm looking forward to being able to see the castle CLEARLY the first time I walk onto Main Street. Can't wait!!

I've never had any issue. The 3-D glasses fit varies somewhat. Toy story mania its an awkward fit.

However on FOP, the glasses are large and (At least for me) rest higher on the head than other rides, and therefore are perfect.

Many trips under my belt and never once have I thought to remove my glasses on any attraction including all of the coasters and 3D attractions.

They’re a part of my face, I’ve never even considered taking them off on any ride but the topic comes up on the boards enough that I think I’m in the minority on this.

Last edited:
I'm blind as a bat and NEVER had an issue with my glasses at WDW. I do, however, always travel with a spare pair just in case.

I usually wear contacts, but due to some eye irritation have been back to glasses a lot more recently. Wore glasses to the parks a couple of days of my last trip. No issues with them ever feeling like they would fall off. My BF always wears glasses, never takes them off for rides, and has never had an issue. 3D glasses fit fine over the prescription glasses. If you are that concerned about them falling off, I'd recommend some kind of strap/retainer to make you feel more secure, but it's not really necessary if your glasses fit properly. Also, if you are not accustomed to wearing contacts for many hours at a time, I would not recommend planning to wear contacts at Disney, unless you plan to give yourself time to work up the number of hours your eyes can tolerate the contacts.

I've never had an issue wearing the 3D glasses over my prescription glasses, and on most roller coasters, I just wear a glasses strap with no issues. I've worn the strap at Universal and King's Island, and even on the big roller coasters, I didn't have any problems.

But I never travel internationally or to theme parks without my previous pair of prescription glasses. I want to be sure I can see no matter what might happen to my glasses on a trip. And before our kids could drive, I was paranoid about losing my glasses on a coaster and not being able to get them home. They take up barely any room in my luggage, and they give me real peace of mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter