Face mask policy & children with autism

I'm trying hard to keep the thread open for discussion of options or suggestions of alternatives for those who are unable to wear masks. For any reason - autism, asthma, etc. Discussion around the validity of wearing masks is not allowed. If you have nothing to share that is helpful to others, please move along. (And for the record, folks have contacted WDW directly and received different responses.)
cant remember where it is on site but one moderator has posted what her CM daughter has been told about masks and disabled at training. maybe you or she could post that here. think it might be helpful

cant remember where it is on site but one moderator has posted what her CM daughter has been told about masks and disabled at training. maybe you or she could post that here. think it might be helpful
I think you are referring to a post on the TPAS forum yesterday, and I have posted that info, as did theluckyrabbit:
post #172
post #176

@Betty Rohrer no worries! At times it seems info is changing fast - too quickly to keep up some days (especially when trying to work/teach summer school/direct daycamp/keep up-to-date on DIS :scared:) That post is currently the most accurate info we have on the mask issue, and it appears WDW rules are in direct contrast to Universal's rules. At one point it was announced that the 3 parks (WDW, UO, SW) would have the same rules...

Ok this is going to look a little weird but bare with me....

I just got this in the mail from Etsy......

https://www.etsy.com/listing/802103111/mask-halo-adjustable-ear-saver-ear?ref=yr_purchases
This is so comfortable! No pressure on the ears, keeps a nice tension on the mask to keep it from sliding around without feeling like its gagging you. Not affiliated with them in anyway but just thought I would pass it on. It fits nicely under a hat / baseball cap and you can hardly feel it. Going to road test it at work!

Please put your clothes back on :rotfl2: :rotfl:

@Betty Rohrer no worries! At times it seems info is changing fast - too quickly to keep up some days (especially when trying to work/teach summer school/direct daycamp/keep up-to-date on DIS :scared:) That post is currently the most accurate info we have on the mask issue, and it appears WDW rules are in direct contrast to Universal's rules. At one point it was announced that the 3 parks (WDW, UO, SW) would have the same rules...
I have the other problem everything is cancelled and the small park I work at has not and has not given an opening date yet

If you’re having trouble getting your child to wear a mask it may be the discomfort from the ears.
Mask help ... I have been wearing a Cloth store bought mask without any problems. Last week I went to get my hair colored And wore a disposable mask. The disposable mask hurt the back of my ears. They are still sore a week later.
So I’m going to use a headband to attach the ear loops to. I used small safety pins to attach the mask to the headband.
I tried sewing buttons on the headband but couldn’t get the level correct
Hope this may help

If you’re having trouble getting your child to wear a mask it may be the discomfort from the ears.
Mask help ... I have been wearing a Cloth store bought mask without any problems. Last week I went to get my hair colored And wore a disposable mask. The disposable mask hurt the back of my ears. They are still sore a week later.
So I’m going to use a headband to attach the ear loops to. I used small safety pins to attach the mask to the headband.
I tried sewing buttons on the headband but couldn’t get the level correct
Hope this may help
my sister in law made head bands with the buttons for me and family, they are an ear saver. have had no ear pain at all from masks

Hi everyone. I appreciate each of you and thank you for your honest and mostly helpful responses. As I posted a couple of days ago, we decided to postpone our trip. The face mask issue was only a small part of our decision to postpone. There are many factors to consider, including having children with autism, an elderly grandfather with an health issues, not getting our money’s worth etc. We will see what early next year looks like, then decide if April 2021 will work for us. Hugs & prayers to each of you!

i haven't been called back yet but my small park is opening on the 18th with season passes ahead of that. looks like we will have most of same rules as Disney. waiting to hear from HR. our main season only goes to Labor Day with weekends for most of rest the year. do I sound excited

We are DVC members and have a trip booked for November. My 8 year old son has severe brain injury and Cerebral Palsy due to Shaking Baby Syndrome which happened when he was 3 months old while in the care of his birth family. I adopted him from foster care at age 2. He will not wear a mask! I have tried and tried but he just screams and has tantrums. I have tried to make it fun but that hasn’t worked. We found a sun hat with a face mask . It is called a kid’s Stevie ultra sun hat by coolibar.com. It is lightweight. My son will wear the hat and he is fully protected.

We are DVC members and have a trip booked for November. My 8 year old son has severe brain injury and Cerebral Palsy due to Shaking Baby Syndrome which happened when he was 3 months old while in the care of his birth family. I adopted him from foster care at age 2. He will not wear a mask! I have tried and tried but he just screams and has tantrums. I have tried to make it fun but that hasn’t worked. We found a sun hat with a face mask . It is called a kid’s Stevie ultra sun hat by coolibar.com. It is lightweight. My son will wear the hat and he is fully protected.

I'm not sure this will be allowed by Disney as an acceptable face mask while on property. The Disney guidlines state the mask must fit snuggly against the face and be secured with ties or earloops. I looked at a picture online and the covering over the face doesn't fit snug.

Also, this appears to have the perforations in the face covering, which would also be an issue.

I hope you can find something that both your son can tolerate and fits Disney's guidelines.

What a great hat, but it looks like there are holes in the face covering part that is attached and I think that would be an issue. I think you could alter it though and make it work by getting fabric that doesn't have holes and replacing it. I'm sure a sewist could help you accomplish that! I hope your family has a great trip!

I have a similar hat to that, but adult size. I taped over the split (in my face covering) on the inside with duct tape. My other suggestion would be to see or fabric-glue the front and back flaps together down their entire lengths, leaving an inch or inch and a half extra circumference, then tuck the ends into his shirt neckline.

Try with safety pins or small binder clips first, so you don't damage the hat in case this doesn't work. It might take some time to get him used to the tucked in fabric.

I have a similar hat to that, but adult size. I taped over the split (in my face covering) on the inside with duct tape. My other suggestion would be to see or fabric-glue the front and back flaps together down their entire lengths, leaving an inch or inch and a half extra circumference, then tuck the ends into his shirt neckline.

Try with safety pins or small binder clips first, so you don't damage the hat in case this doesn't work. It might take some time to get him used to the tucked in fabric.
Thank you ! I will try doing that.

What a great hat, but it looks like there are holes in the face covering part that is attached and I think that would be an issue. I think you could alter it though and make it work by getting fabric that doesn't have holes and replacing it. I'm sure a sewist could help you accomplish that! I hope your family has a great trip!
Thank you

Honestly, I wasn't as satisfied with my hat as I expected, BUT. The only adjustment I've made so far is the duct tape, and I don't have issues wearing a mask.

I did, though. I have trouble breathing in many masks. The disposable ones work best for me, plus (something else to consider but not force) I wear a personal fan around my neck, blowing up at my nose and mouth. Biggest risk is to me, not to others.

Again, this is something he might not tolerate but to be considered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter