Family reunions on a DCL cruise - whos' done it? Suggestions?

BeanoC

I almost don't feel the way I do.
This weekend, the idea of a family reunion was being discussed amongst 20 or so of my family members. I suggested we all go on the Magic for a week, or at least a 4 day Wonder cruise. Somewhat to my surprise, the suggestion was well received! So I want to know who out there has done this, and get any and all feedback you can share.

The alternative is the 'ol family picnic and BBQ, which is fine, but it seems to me that a Disney cruise with 30 or 40 family members aboard would be an unforgettable experience.

What cha think??

'Beano' :cool:

We went on the 7-day Western this June - 15 of us (family) plus some friends (19 total). We didn't have anything organzied together, except for dinners (at the same table) and certain excursions we booked together.

This allowed for us to be together - and also be apart (some would resort to violence if we had to spend the whole week together :p).

I wish you and yours the best!

We have 14 (just added one more this morning) going in September. My sister & myself worked together checking on rates for different cagegories and let everyone know the prices. We all decided to book with Dreams Unlimited. Everyone booked their own rooms and we had all reservations linked to mine & DH's. We also opted to do dinners together. Everything else, everyone is on their own to do their own thing. We'll meet up here and there and do some things together. We are going to WDW for 3 days after the cruise - again we will meet for dinner and maybe later in the evening to hang out at DTD/Pleasure Island.

We also set up a Yahoo Groups account, so that when we send out an e-mail, no one gets left out.

Gail

Unforgettable Experience? That all depends if you like half of your 30- 40 family members. Tossing family members overboard could be quite unforgettable.

Sorry, Beano, I know you were wondering if I would be available to come on this family reunion cruise with you, but I won't be able to attend. I am saving my money for a corvette for this guy who might be having a mid-life crisis. I think you might even know him. Matchbox corvette cars cost a lot more then I was hoping to spend.

Spell check alert. I believe then should be than. Where is spell check when I need it!!!!

Rose, I shoulda known you'd pipe in!

You know, some of those family members might read this thread, so I wish you hadn't clued them in on my plan to jettison them. Fortunately for me, most of them are too stupid to know what 'jettison' means. (They think it's a cartoon about life in the future).

And um, Matchbox doesn't make little Corvettes. Hot Wheels does. TRY to get it right? ;)

I am not, however, suffering from a midlife crisis. At least my 22 year old girlfriend and my shrink say I'm not.

(Hope my wife thought that last part was funny...)

'Beano':cool:

As you can see in my signature, we are doing this next summer--my parents, me, DH and 3 kids, and sister, BIL and their two girls. We have agreed that we will eat dinner together and one evening hopefully go to Palo, but can already tell that sister and I like different excursion ideas, so we agree that going our own way isn't a problem.
I just saw an obituary in today's paper of a man who took his wife, 11 children and spouses, and 31 grandchildren on a Disney cruise! I hope for his sake they paid their own way!
Robin M.

I say go for it!!
A cruise makes a wonderful family reunion. There is something for everyone no matter the age. You can be as active or relax as much as you want. We had our cabins and dining linked. Family excursions on St M and St T arranged beforehand. Sure proved to be a very memorable experience. :)

Originally posted by Rock'n Robin
I just saw an obituary in today's paper of a man who took his wife, 11 children and spouses, and 31 grandchildren on a Disney cruise!

I am scheduled to go on a 7 day in November with my wife, seven kids and spouses, and 6 grandkids. After reading this, I think I will reconsider!

I have to say that when 18 of us family members took a 7-day cruise in January of 2002, it was the best vacation I had ever taken. We split up during the day and did our own thing and then came together in the evening for dinner and after-dinner activities. Some of us went on excursions together, some other family members did their own excursion or stayed on the ship.

I'm in the process of trying to get everyone together again for a Western cruise, but with kids getting older (high school, college), it gets more difficult.

Great idea! I concur with MnParrothead--that's exactly how our "family reunion" (actually two extended families of 13 people each, in 8 cabins) cruise went last July. We could all see as much (or as little) as we wanted to of each other... and there were plenty of opportunities to just relax together. All in all, I think a cruise is the IDEAL venue for a family reunion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter