Fantasmic On The Go - Hungry Bear

Fantasy Girl

Earning My Ears
My family and I will be in the parks this Thursday through Sunday. We had no plans to watch Fantasmic until today when DH expressed interest in watching with Reserved Seating. We've watched Fantasmic and WOC many times before with the Dessert Package and loved it. Now that I'm looking for reservations our only option is the On The Go package at the Hungry Bear.

Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences about the Hungry Bear/Fantasmic experience?

Thanks!

My 10yo son and I ended up deciding to do this last minute a couple of weeks ago, and we really liked it!

Because it was day of, the only available reservation was 5:15, so we grabbed that. We got there about 5:20 - and then came the only downer part of the evening, it was about 15 minutes before we could actually order our food. There were only three parties ahead of us, but it seemed like they were pretty confused about the process, and there was only one person to check in those of us who were there for the F! dinner. We finally got up front and got our order placed, though - I ordered the riblets, and my son ordered the BBQ chicken. He was not thrilled about the kale salad and grain medley sides, but I told him to just give them a chance. (My understanding is that you can substitute from the regular menu, but I wanted to get some real food into him!) We waited another five minutes or so for our food to be ready, then pretty easily found a table overlooking the water (it was about 5:45 by this time). I thought my food was great. 10yo, true to his word, wasn't loving his sides, but he said his chicken was delicious - and we both really liked the Blue Sky soda - nice to get a break from ubiquitous coke products!

After that, he convinced me to use an anytime FP we'd gotten earlier in the day to ride Splash (against my better judgment, as the sun was going down! - the things we do for our kids!), then we went and changed our t-shirts and put on sweatshirts (because... Splash), and then headed over to Pooh Corner for dessert to snack on while we waited for the show to begin. Got back to Harbour Galley around 7:45, and managed to find the Hungry Bear line. Though we had trouble hearing what the CMs were shouting to everyone gathered, folks all passed along the information so we could all get into the right areas for our respective reservations. They brought the Blue Bayou folks in to their seating area first, then came back for us. We ended up being seated right up against the railing - one of the last groups to get that spot, they started the second row just 2-3 families after us. My back had been acting up, so I was a little worried about sitting on the ground from then until F! ended at 9:30, but it quickly became clear that there was no problem with standing up, stretching against the railing, etc., before the show started. After a bit, my son and I each took bathroom breaks, with the other person holding the seats (no one around seemed to mind), then we Facetimed with my husband (who had stayed home with our little one who got sick last minute! :( ) as it got dark. At about 9:02, there was an announcement that due to unforeseen circumstances, the show would be delayed - I think we all got a little worried that delayed might mean canceled - but then it did start just a bit after 9:05.

Regarding Fantasmic! itself - my son, despite being only 10, can be a little cynical - but just a few minutes in, he exclaimed, "If anyone is in Disneyland right now and NOT watching this, they're crazy!!!" (I resisted the urge to point out that we were able to watch it the way we were only due to his mother's awesome planning....) When the show ended, he said he was really tired and didn't want to stay for the fireworks. I had heard that it might be a real challenge to swim upstream at this point, but we managed to make our way out of the viewing area and through New Orleans Square without too much effort. We actually enjoyed looking at the Mickey's Mix Magic projections as we worked our way towards the monorail, but both agreed that we wouldn't have had the energy to stay and watch the whole show.

Wow, I got chatty there - all in all, I guess that's my way of saying I'd recommend Fantasmic!, and the Hungry Bear meal option in particular! Have fun!!!

We have done the Hungry Bear package I think six or seven times? It's my preferred way to see the show. PP gave a good review of the experience!

We ended up being seated right up against the railing - one of the last groups to get that spot, they started the second row just 2-3 families after us.
I'm curious about this... as I mentioned, we've done this at least half a dozen times, but not yet in 2019. When we've done it, there's never been any kind of "row by row" set up - they just let you into the section and you grab the spot you want. I know a lot of people that prefer to be farther back right along the Blue Bayou tape line (towards center stage), so that spot often gets filled in before the railing spot on the outside... have they changed the procedure so you no longer choose where you sit in the viewing area?

Thanks, because I had been wanting to know what people thought. Did you think it was worth the cost compared to the regular fastpass section? We would have 4 Disney adults so trying to stomach the $120 it would cost. My family will probably order off the regular menu.

Thanks, because I had been wanting to know what people thought. Did you think it was worth the cost compared to the regular fastpass section? We would have 4 Disney adults so trying to stomach the $120 it would cost. My family will probably order off the regular menu.
If you're going to the first show and don't want to invest like 90 minutes into getting your spot, then I think it's the way to go. I prefer sitting on the ground to standing in a sardine-like mass of humanity. (Note that some FP people usually do get seated on the ground, but those are the ones who started stalking the line-up like 90 minutes before showtime... if you don't mind doing that, then you can take your chances that way.) Also, even if you are getting food off of the regular menu, there IS food included in that $120 cost, so whatever you would have spent on that meal is kind of a deduction from that...

The second show is less popular and therefore easier to watch (I've grabbed a standby spot a handful of times - always just for 1-2 people, but still, couldn't do that for show #1). I've actually only done FP for that one once and never a dining package, so I'm not as certain of the value then.

We did this once and I thought it was definitely worth it. Fighting for a spot and having to stand for long periods of time is just not something I enjoy at all. My only regret is that some of my kids didn't actually eat much of their food from the regular menu, so I wish I would have ordered more of the specialty menu items so we could try them all. As for cost: I figure that half of the cost is the food that we would have bought anyway, and the other half is paying for a reserved spot. I'm probably just rationalizing the cost, but it doesn't seem so bad to me that way.

We really liked it. We liked the food- we got the earliest pickup time, showed up 15 minutes early, and were first in line. We got to the seating queue after they’d already let people in, but we still got to sit next to the railing, though far over to the left. It wasn’t very full, even though it was Memorial Day weekend. We ended up moving back about ten feet so as not to have the rail in the middle of our view. It was a great view! I recommend bringing a sweatshirt or something to fold up and sit on.

My family and I will be in the parks this Thursday through Sunday. We had no plans to watch Fantasmic until today when DH expressed interest in watching with Reserved Seating. We've watched Fantasmic and WOC many times before with the Dessert Package and loved it. Now that I'm looking for reservations our only option is the On The Go package at the Hungry Bear.

Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences about the Hungry Bear/Fantasmic experience?

Thanks!
Just to be clear, this is not at all like the old F! Dessert package. There are no "seats". Just the ground. Which IMO is better than standing. But it is not for everyone.

:wizard:

We've seen F! with and without the dining packages -- hands down, we prefer the dining package sections. The free FP sections can be fine for the second show, but it's too much of a gamble and too much waiting without knowing if we'll have good viewing. With the dining package FPs, at least we know we'll have good viewing with minimal waiting. We've taken guests numerous times -- no one has ever complained about the dining package viewing, even friends who were cynical about watching F! in the first place!

Thanks so much for the awesome info! I appreciate the clarification about not having actual seats. I'm guessing that kids still get a decent view even if they're sitting on the ground?

Thanks so much for the awesome info! I appreciate the clarification about not having actual seats. I'm guessing that kids still get a decent view even if they're sitting on the ground?
Yes. For the really small ones, they can stand. Otherwise, all views are good. The ground slopes there down to the ROA, by design, so people can see the show. Although you may have to maneuver kids a little to see around adults sitting right in front of them. I have always found there is plenty of space for this.

:wizard:

We have done the Hungry Bear package I think six or seven times? It's my preferred way to see the show. PP gave a good review of the experience!

I'm curious about this... as I mentioned, we've done this at least half a dozen times, but not yet in 2019. When we've done it, there's never been any kind of "row by row" set up - they just let you into the section and you grab the spot you want. I know a lot of people that prefer to be farther back right along the Blue Bayou tape line (towards center stage), so that spot often gets filled in before the railing spot on the outside... have they changed the procedure so you no longer choose where you sit in the viewing area?

They definitely directed us to a specific place to sit; not sure what would have happened if we'd said we'd rather sit further back - I'm guessing it wouldn't have been a problem though, as those of us who were there for the 8:00 entry only filled, I'd estimate 2/3 of the space, so there probably was an opportunity to mill around and choose a different spot as others trickled in between then and 8:15/8:30.

Can you save spots for the rest of your party with a blanket/towel? I was thinking of arriving around 8:00 and claiming a spot in our reserved section and the sending my husband (and possibly kids with him) out to grab snacks to eat while we wait. I guess as a followup question: Can you come and go in the section, or do you need to stay put once you get there?

Can you save spots for the rest of your party with a blanket/towel? I was thinking of arriving around 8:00 and claiming a spot in our reserved section and the sending my husband (and possibly kids with him) out to grab snacks to eat while we wait. I guess as a followup question: Can you come and go in the section, or do you need to stay put once you get there?
You can come and go, definitely define your space with a blanket.

At least one adult should stay with your space/blanket at all times, though. Don't just put down a blanket and leave. The area can get very crowded for the first show, to the point that CMs ask everyone in the area to move forward to make room for late arrivals. So if you leave a blanket unattended, it may not be where you left it when you return.

At least one adult should stay with your space/blanket at all times, though. Don't just put down a blanket and leave. The area can get very crowded for the first show, to the point that CMs ask everyone in the area to move forward to make room for late arrivals. So if you leave a blanket unattended, it may not be where you left it when you return.
Thanks. We will be sure to have an adult with the blanket at all times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter