Fast pass Needed for Rider Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
We just went to get rider swap passes at Seven Dwarfs Mine train. My husband was taking the two older kids with FP+ while I had a Winnie the Pooh Fastpass with the younger kids. The cast member at SDMT told me I had to scan my band and if I didn't have a FP, he wouldn't give us rider switch. I told him we have been going for years and never needed it and that the website doesn't specify that it is needed. He was insistent that everyone in the party needs a FP for rider swap unless you go in the standby lane. I didn't have any issues with Test Track or Mission Space yesterday. Is this new? When did Disney change the policy?

We just went to get rider swap passes at Seven Dwarfs Mine train. My husband was taking the two older kids with FP+ while I had a Winnie the Pooh Fastpass with the younger kids. The cast member at SDMT told me I had to scan my band and if I didn't have a FP, he wouldn't give us rider switch. I told him we have been going for years and never needed it and that the website doesn't specify that it is needed. He was insistent that everyone in the party needs a FP for rider swap unless you go in the standby lane. I didn't have any issues with Test Track or Mission Space yesterday. Is this new? When did Disney change the policy?
The only ride where this scenario has been reported (only 1 time) is 7DMT. It was resolved and a Rider Swap Pass was given to the family.

It’s either a specific CM or the Attraction Leader of 7D who is stating this bad information. It’s probably only that CM because you’re only the 2nd DISer to report this. Sorry it happened to you.

The only ride where this scenario has been reported (only 1 time) is 7DMT. It was resolved and a Rider Swap Pass was given to the family.

It’s either a specific CM or the Attraction Leader of 7D who is stating this bad information. It’s probably only that CM because you’re only the 2nd DISer to report this. Sorry it happened to you.

The cast member who said this was a male, but I didn't catch his name. He did end up giving us a swap "just this one time" after I really pushed the issue and said the website didn't state that policy and we had been doing it for years. I guess the question is if this is an issue with one cast member or attraction leader being wrong or if this is actually Disney's policy for SDMT.

I’m not sure. It could be because the Leader has misinterpreted the Swap info.

The Rider Swap Pass is a FP good for three people and there’s no mention that it replaces a regular FP. I believe Rider Swap families should keep a screenshot of Disney’s Rider Swap Page and show it when there are any questions. Guests shouldn’t have to argue for a Pass when Disney hasn’t amended any written rules for 7D.

I’m glad you received a RS Pass! :)

I just called to get a clarification of their rider swap fast pass policy- ive been told they are supposed to sscan both riders for fast passes if fast passes are to be used- i guess to many people were playing the system....wish they would follow the rule across the board though if this is what they are supposed to do

So no one has heard of this happening for Flight of Passage? I'd be worried about that since it's now the longest line in the parks. Has anyone got a rider swap for it using fastpass in the standard fashion?

So no one has heard of this happening for Flight of Passage? I'd be worried about that since it's now the longest line in the parks. Has anyone got a rider swap for it using fastpass in the standard fashion?

When we went in August, we were able to get rider swap for FOP a couple of times when part of the party had fastpasses (and rode then) and those staying behind with the toddler and who later used the rider swap did not have fastpass. We were never questioned there or anywhere else (SDMT, BTM, Splash, Space, EE, TOT, Soarin, TT, etc). In fact, we never even had to bring the toddler and those staying with him up to get the rider swap, we just pointed at them waiting in the distance. After the first time taking my toddler in to get the Soarin rider swap, we were told we would not have to show him there to get the pass since the building is not stroller friendly, although I have heard of others who had to show their child in there so YMMV on that one.

When we went in August, we were able to get rider swap for FOP a couple of times when part of the party had fastpasses (and rode then) and those staying behind with the toddler and who later used the rider swap did not have fastpass. We were never questioned there or anywhere else (SDMT, BTM, Splash, Space, EE, TOT, Soarin, TT, etc). In fact, we never even had to bring the toddler and those staying with him up to get the rider swap, we just pointed at them waiting in the distance. After the first time taking my toddler in to get the Soarin rider swap, we were told we would not have to show him there to get the pass since the building is not stroller friendly, although I have heard of others who had to show their child in there so YMMV on that one.
It's great to hear that! Thanks for letting me know!

We used rider switch on FoP today, they did not check if the non riding adult had a fastpass. However unlike other rides, the ticket is only valid on the same day, not until the end of the month

When we made our FP selections our TA advised me that she had heard some talk of certain CMs on FOP and SDMT specifically requiring everyone in the party have FPs in order to use RS with FP. She said if we all really wanted to ride FOP we should all have a FP to be safe. We have 2 adults a tall enough child and a baby. Got 3 FP for FOP when I really wanted to take the baby on Na’vi while I waited for dad n kiddo to go 1st on FOP.
We split up our FP the rest of our trip, making FP on height restricted rides when we’ll use RS only for the two 1st riders and on something else for the other adult and baby. But didn’t take the chance on FOP.
I’m second guessing though...

I had an issue getting a rider swap at BTMRR a couple of years ago, I think some CMs just go rogue on their own sometimes and make up their own policies. I did get it in the end (my son was in a stroller and definitely did not meet the height requirements) but it was totally bizarre for him to be difficult about it.

Ok, I've never used Rider Switch before, and am hoping to in April. So let me see if I get this. If I have a FP for 7DMT and tell them I want to do a rider switch with my husband, he himself doesn't need a FP? In the past, we didn't do rider switch, I got us both a FP for the same time and we just switched off riding while the other stayed with our daughter. So have I been wasting FP?

Ok, I've never used Rider Switch before, and am hoping to in April. So let me see if I get this. If I have a FP for 7DMT and tell them I want to do a rider switch with my husband, he himself doesn't need a FP? In the past, we didn't do rider switch, I got us both a FP for the same time and we just switched off riding while the other stayed with our daughter. So have I been wasting FP?

Only one of you needs a fastpass. When you (with fastpass) go to ride, tell them you need a rider swap. Then later your husband (no fastpass) can go into the fastpass line and ride using the rider swap. The rider swap is valid for up to 3 people, so if you had others with you, your husband could take 2 other people. In this scenario, only one of you would use a fastpass and you would each ride once. Then your husband could save his fastpass for another ride, either to go with your kid on, or something like Space or BTM or Splash and then you could get a rider swap there as well so you could ride too.

You could also get fastpasses for both of you. When each of you uses your fastpass at different times, ask for a rider swap both times. Then you can each ride again using a rider swap. In this scenario, each of you could ride twice.

I'm personally not chancing it on FOP and 7DMT - we will all have FPs for those as I have heard a couple of stories of issues. We'll be modifying to follow that strategy for other rides though.

I had this happen at the same ride. Additionally they wouldn’t let my son (2yo) in with my husband so we could conduct the “switch” after I rode. Isn’t that the point? They said he didn’t meet height requirement (of course he didn’t, we had no plans of him riding, but he couldn’t wait outside while we swapped?). Is this an error? We’ve never wanted to ride something enough to bother with rider switch so this is our only experience trying it in all our trips but it was totally frustrating.

I had this happen at the same ride. Additionally they wouldn’t let my son (2yo) in with my husband so we could conduct the “switch” after I rode. Isn’t that the point? They said he didn’t meet height requirement (of course he didn’t, we had no plans of him riding, but he couldn’t wait outside while we swapped?). Is this an error? We’ve never wanted to ride something enough to bother with rider switch so this is our only experience trying it in all our trips but it was totally frustrating.
The Rider Switch lanyard is given to the Rider at the FP touchpoint and Rider#2 waits outside the ride with the child. Rider#2 can take the child to a ride while waiting. Then, Rider#1 exits the ride with the Rider Swap Pass that is a FP for up to 3 total riders. The Swap Pass can be used later that day or before it expires in a few days.

I'm personally not chancing it on FOP and 7DMT - we will all have FPs for those as I have heard a couple of stories of issues. We'll be modifying to follow that strategy for other rides though.
We’re going about it exactly the same way however I’m really starting to think that it is highly unlikely we need to be so cautious. I feel bad for my little girl having to wait for my husband and I to switch off on FOP with her big sister when we could probably safely take her on N’avi while we wait and still be able to use RS for FOP. I’m not positive though so here we are

We’re going about it exactly the same way however I’m really starting to think that it is highly unlikely we need to be so cautious. I feel bad for my little girl having to wait for my husband and I to switch off on FOP with her big sister when we could probably safely take her on N’avi while we wait and still be able to use RS for FOP. I’m not positive though so here we are
If the Navi ride line isn't terribly long (maybe first thing in am?) then one could do standby line and get RS for the other parent maybe? or if one of you is lucky enough to get an extra FP for NRJ later then do the rider swap?

We were able to use RS with no issues back during peak Thanksgiving week (I think it was that Monday or Tuesday before Thanksgiving). It seems that CM at 7DMT is a very rare case.

Ialways book FP for all of us even when we plan to do rider switch. Sometimes they make the non-rider scan and sometimes not. I dont remember which rides though. I always just expected that we were all supposed to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!