FastPass+ FAQ — SERVICE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesaboy2

Reading Is Fundamental.
Disney has suspended FP+ until further notice.

The information in this thread is based on FP+ operation before the COVID-19 pandemic and is likely subject to change once it returns.

Last Updated: February 2020

Introduction

If you have a question about how FastPass+ works at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, the answer is probably already here on this very first page. If not, dialogue on your particular question is welcome. There are many knowledgeable posters willing to assist.

If the information on this page conflicts with that of a cast member, the cast member is most likely incorrect. Much of the information on this page is based on hundreds if not thousands of user experiences over several years’ time.

The first 12 posts are organized to help readers find answers to FAQs as quickly and as easily as possible. They are updated regularly and reflect current FastPass+ policy, attraction selections, and suggested priorities. It is not necessary to read the entire thread for it to be useful for most readers.

This thread is not the place for judgment, debate, or argument on the merits of the FastPass+ system.

Click on the topic below to access the post that pertains to that aspect of FastPass+. The following posts are not organized in a Q&A format, but the answers to these FAQs (and similar ones) are contained within them.

Requirements and Basics
  • How does FastPass+ work?
  • Do I need tickets or a room reservation to book FastPass+?
  • Can I use FastPass+ if I bought tickets from a third party?
  • Do I need MagicBands to use FastPass+?
  • Can I use someone else's FastPasses?
  • How long does it take to go through the FastPass+ line?
  • Why do I need FastPass+ for shows?
  • What if an attraction closes during my FastPass window?
Booking Windows
  • How many days in advance of my trip can I book FastPasses?
  • What time of day can I start booking FastPasses?
  • How many days can I book FastPasses for?
  • Can I book FastPasses for my entire trip?
  • Why can't I see more than 30 days ahead when I have an onsite reservation?
  • Why doesn’t my entire party show up in my My Disney Experience account?
  • How does FastPass+ work with Annual Passes?
Split Stays
  • How does FastPass+ work with split stays?
Availability
  • What attractions will be available when my window opens?
  • I can't buy tickets until I get there. What attractions can I get?
  • Where can I find out what attractions are still available for my days?
  • What attractions can I expect to get after I have used my first 3?
Using MDX To Schedule FastPasses
  • How do I use My Disney Experience to schedule FastPasses?
  • Should I use the app or the website?
Additional / Day-Of FastPasses / Kiosk Locations
  • How do I book additional FastPasses?
  • Do I need to use FastPass+ kiosks to book or change them?
  • Where are the FastPass+ kiosks located?
Suggested Priorities
  • What attractions are good to use FastPass+ on?
  • What are tiers and how do they work?
  • Which parks have tiers?
Strategies
  • Do I need FastPass+ if I am going at a slow time?
  • What park should I book FastPasses in if I am park-hopping?
  • What time of day should I book FastPasses for?
  • How can I schedule FastPasses together for a large group?
Special Events / Refurbishments / New Attractions
  • How does FastPass+ work with the Halloween and Christmas parties?
  • Can I use FastPass+ during Extra Magic Hours?
  • Can I select FastPasses for an attraction that is scheduled for refurbishment?
  • When will FastPasses appear for a new attraction?
Addendum
  • Where else can I look for answers to my FastPass+ questions?

Last edited:
Requirements and Basics

For simplicity, most of the remaining references to FastPass+ are as FastPass or FP. Keep in mind that FastPass+ only exists at WDW and is inherently different from the FastPass systems in place at all other Disney resorts (Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, etc.). The information in this thread applies only to FP+ at WDW.

Requirements

Before FPs can be scheduled, the following two requirements must be met--there are no exceptions. Note that an onsite room reservation at a Disney-owned hotel is not required, but does determine how far in advance FPs can be scheduled (see here in Booking Windows).
  • A guest must have or be listed on an account created in My Disney Experience (abbreviated MDX) using a valid email address, and
  • A guest must have valid ticket media linked to their name on this account. In most situations, ticket vouchers (including those for Annual Passes) can be linked as well as tickets from third-party resellers such as Undercover Tourist.
Once the MDX account is created, anyone named on the account with tickets attached to them can have scheduled FPs.

Basics

FastPass is Disney's ride-reservation system that allows guests to bypass an attraction's normal “standby” queue with the intent of waiting less time in line. There are currently 65 permanent FastPass attractions at Walt Disney World and include rides, shows, and character Meet-and-Greets (M&Gs). For rides and character M&Gs, this access is provided via special FP queues separate from the standby queue and given priority over the standby queue.

FPs for some shows allow entry to a reserved viewing area and usually in a preferred location. FPs for other shows offer access to the same seating areas as standby guests via a FP queue that may or may not be allowed access before the standby queue. There is a wide range of opinion on the relative worth of show FPs and there is no right answer.

- FP is included free with admission.

- FPs can be booked for as many days as there are valid tickets for. APs are generally limited to 7 days of FPs at any one time (for exceptions, see here in Booking Windows).

- If using tickets that limit guests to certain times of day (such as Mid-Day Magic tickets that allow entry only after 12:00p), MDX still allows guests to book FPs for any time of day. It is incumbant on the guest to ensure they can be in the park during the booking windows they choose.

- It is rare for any FP wait at any normally-operating attraction to exceed 15-20 minutes. This includes the most popular or lowest capacity attractions such as Avatar Flight of Passage or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. However, be aware that some attraction preshows (FOP, notably) can take 5 minutes or more, and for purposes of this thread FP wait is not figured into total attraction time (to include pre-show, boarding, and attraction time).

- MagicBands are not required to use FP, any current ticket media will work. MagicBands are automatically issued to onsite resort guests and AP holders. All other guests can purchase MagicBands if desired at numerous in-park locations or various websites. A guest with multiple MagicBands connected to their MDX profile can use any of them interchangeably for most purposes, including FP. For purposes of FP, the main advantage of MagicBands is convenience.

- All guests entering an attraction's FP queue must have a valid FP for that attraction, including all character M&Gs. The only exceptions to this are small children under 3yo, who do not need FPs.

- While technically nontransferable, in practice MagicBands (or tickets) can be swapped with others in your party to use their FPs (assuming everyone is together inside the park). Castmembers (CMs) do not care if 47yo Mike enters a FP queue with 15yo Sue's MagicBand.

- All guests may preschedule up to 3 FPs per day, for as many days as they have tickets for. All 3 must be in the same park but for different attractions. For certain guests participating in the FP+ Pilot Program (additional fee and room requirements apply), an additional 3 FPs can be scheduled per day. These additional 3 FPs can be prescheduled in multiple parks if those guests have the park-hopper option. These additional FPs can only be scheduled by calling Disney, not by using MDX.

- For Magic Kingdom only, any 3 attractions are selectable for FP.

- Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom use a tiering system and there are restrictions regarding which attraction combinations can be scheduled. Tiering is explained here in Suggested Priorities By Park. For certain guests participating in the FP+ Pilot Program (additional fee and room requirements apply), an additional 3 FPs can be scheduled per day. These additional 3 FPs are not subject to tiering limitations. These additional FPs can only be scheduled by calling Disney, not by using MDX.

- FPs are not available at Typhoon Lagoon nor at Blizzard Beach.

- FP return windows for most rides and character M&Gs are 60 minutes long. The FP system normally allows a grace period of 5 minutes before and 15 minutes after the return window, but guests are advised against relying on the grace period. CMs have the ability to override the system and deny entry during the grace period depending on the situation.

- FP return windows for some rides and character M&Gs can be less than 60 minutes long, but only in the last hour that FPs are offered (the last hour of park operation not including EMH or hard-ticket events).

- FP return windows for all shows vary between 15-25 minutes long and are scheduled within the last 30 minutes before the show begins. There is no defined grace period for these attractions.

- Some FP queues have two automated “Mickey Head” scan points that can read either MagicBands or tickets: one at the entrance to the queue and another further in where the FP queue merges with the standby queue (the “merge point”). Only the first scan point matters with regard to the return window. Returning within the window with a valid FP will result in a green light, otherwise the MDX system will reject it with a blue light. CMs are nearby all scan points to monitor and assist as needed.

- FP return windows cannot overlap.

- FPs can be scheduled only during regular park hours, including the first and last hours of operation. All FP attractions can be scheduled for any part of the regular day.

- FPs can be used in conjunction with child swap (available on all attractions with minimum height requirements and groups with guests who do not meet them).

- Children under 3yo cannot get and do not need FPs (since they don't have tickets) and can accompany an adult with FP. If named on an onsite reservation, children will receive a complimentary MagicBand but it is not needed nor can it be used for FP.

- All guests may use FP kiosks located in each park. The kiosks can be used to schedule FPs only for attractions in that park and on that day. If FPs are desired for other parks, the MDX app or website can be used.

- FPs can be scheduled for different attractions, different times, and even different parks for individual members of any group.

- All FPs are subject to availability.

- If an attraction is closed temporarily due to weather or technical issues during a guest’s scheduled FP window, the FP can be used for that same attraction at any time for the remainder of the day (assuming it reopens). In addition, the FP can be used for specific other attractions (located in the same park) for the remainder of the day. CMs at the affected attraction can provide a list and MDX may send an email to the MDX account holder to alert them of their options.

Last edited:
Booking Windows

- The booking window opens at 7:00a Eastern Time each day.

- Attempting to book FPs before your window opens will often result in a message indicating tickets are not yet linked. This message can be ignored, and should go away when the window opens.

- For onsite guests calculating their 60-day point, it is based on resort check-in date only. Date-based tickets have no bearing on this.

- For purposes of booking FPs, tickets bought as part of a Disney room/ticket package behave differently than tickets bought separately. This distinction has major implications for booking FPs in some situations. Put simply, package tickets are not valid for any dates prior to the room check-in date. It is never advantageous to have package tickets if a guest will be at Disney before their package starts. Additionally, package tickets complicate FP booking scenarios where two linked groups arrive on separate dates.

- FPs can be booked in advance, with different booking windows opening for the following 4 general categories of guests:
  • Guests participating in the FP+ Pilot Program - 90 Days Before Checkout Date (additional fee applies):
    • Club Level guests at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and Yacht Club. Guests staying in bungalows at Polynesian, cabins at Wilderness Lodge Copper Creek, or Governor Suites, Parlor Suites, Presidential Suites, or Premium Alcove rooms at Swan and Dolphin.
    • This 90-day window applies only to the 3 additional FPs offered with this program, and not to the already-included 3 FPs at 60 days with any onsite stay.
    • These additional FPs can only be scheduled by calling Disney, not by using MDX.
    • The fee for this additional benefit is $50 per person per day, plus tax with a 3-day minimum.
  • Onsite Guests - 60 Days Before Check-in Date:
    • Guests staying at WDW owned and operated resorts (including DVC) with a room/ticket package.
    • Guests staying at WDW owned and operated resorts (including DVC) with a room-only reservation and valid tickets booked separately and linked to an MDX account.
    • Guests staying at the Four Seasons Resort Orlando, Swan, Dolphin, or Shades Of Green resorts and valid tickets linked to an MDX account.
    • Guests staying at any of the following Disney Springs-area hotels and valid tickets linked to an MDX account: B Resort & Spa, Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort, DoubleTree Guest Suites by Hilton Orlando, Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Palace, Hilton Orlando Resort Lake Buena Vista, Holiday Inn Orlando, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista, and Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista.
    • Guests linked to or listed on an onsite guest's MDX account (controlled by the onsite guest) and valid tickets linked.
  • Offsite Guests - 30 Days Before Park Day:
    • Guests not staying at any of the resorts listed above, but with tickets linked to an MDX account. Note: If offsite guests are linked to or listed on accounts of onsite guests above, they share the onsite guests' booking window of 60 days.
  • Castmembers - 7 Days Before Park Day:
    • CMs not staying at any of the resorts listed above, but with CM tickets linked to an MDX account. CM tickets include Maingates, Guest Passes, and comps. Note: If CMs are linked to or listed on accounts of either category above, they share that category's booking window (60 days onsite, 30 days offsite).
- Onsite guests can book FPs for their entire stay including arrival day and departure day, for as many days as they have tickets for. The maximum number of days is at least 14—reliable data beyond this number is unclear. Practically speaking, this means FPs can be booked for more than 70 days away.
  • For onsite guests with a room/ticket package, the 60-day prebooking window will not appear until the 60-day mark. Before this point, it is normal for various members and/or their tickets to not appear on the MDX account. The entire traveling party and their tickets will appear at the 60-day mark in almost all cases.
  • For onsite guests with a room-only reservation, the 60-day prebooking window will not appear until the 60-day mark, assuming valid tickets are attached to the account. Before this point and only for guests with APs or older tickets that are not date-based, a 30-day window (from the current day) will be active. It is possible for these guests to practice booking FPs using this 30-day window.
- Offsite guests can book no more than 30 days in advance. This means FPs must be scheduled day-by-day for each day of the stay, assuming the guest wants the widest possible choice of FPs available for each day of their stay.

- Annual Pass (AP) holders have similar benefits as onsite guests when staying at an onsite resort. The primary difference is that AP holders can book up to 7 days of FPs at all times, and more if the length of the onsite stay is greater. Multiple trips within a short period can confuse MDX and result in unpredictable FP booking behavior.

- AP holders have similar benefits as offsite guests otherwise, except that they cannot have more than 7 days of FPs booked at any one time.

Last edited:
Split Stays

For purposes of this thread, a “split stay” is defined as two (or more) stays scheduled back-to-back where the checkout date of one stay is the same as the check-in date of the next stay.

Despite some changes to MDX in early 2019 regarding split stays, the system has settled into a new “normal”:
  • As before, for multiple back-to-back onsite stays at Disney-owned resorts (or any resorts that qualify for the 60-day advance window) the booking window will open 60 days before the check-in date of the first stay and extend until the checkout date of the last stay.
  • If offsite stays are combined with onsite stays, no benefits of the onsite stay will apply to the offsite stay. This is a change from prior behavior, especially when an offsite stay follows an onsite stay. In this case, the 60-day “rolling window” no longer occurs, and FPs for the offsite stay will not open until 30 days before each day in the offsite stay.

Last edited:

Availability

The vast majority of the 65 FP attractions at WDW have FPs available as late as day-of.

Guests participating in the FP+ Pilot Program, who have access to FPs at 90 days in advance, can assume wide availability for all attractions.

- Attractions listed here are the most difficult to get. Onsite guests can expect limited availability even at 60 days in advance, while offsite guests are unlikely to get much availability (if at all) at 30 days. Acquiring these attractions less than 7 days in advance may require frequent monitoring of FP availability via the MDX app or website. Same-day FPs are most unlikely, but possible with constant monitoring via MDX.
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (Magic Kingdom)
  • Frozen Ever After (Epcot)
  • Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (Hollywood Studios)
  • Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run (Hollywood Studios)
  • Slinky Dog Dash (Hollywood Studios)
  • Avatar Flight Of Passage (Animal Kingdom)
- Attractions listed here can be difficult to get. Onsite guests can expect good availability at 60 days in advance, while offsite guests can expect limited availability at 30 days. Acquiring these attractions less than 7 days in advance will likely require regular monitoring of FP availability via the MDX app or website. Same-day FPs are possible with constant monitoring via MDX.
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Magic Kingdom)
  • Peter Pan's Flight (Magic Kingdom)
  • Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom)
  • Splash Mountain (Magic Kingdom)
  • IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth (Epcot)
  • Soarin' (Epcot)
  • Test Track (Epcot)
  • Toy Story Mania (Hollywood Studios)
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (Hollywood Studios)
  • Navi River Journey (Animal Kingdom)
  • Rivers of Light (Animal Kingdom)
- All other attractions are relatively easy to get. Onsite guests can expect wide availability at 60 days in advance, while offsite guests can expect good availability at 30 days. Acquiring these attractions less than 7 days is likely, but availability may be limited. Same-day FPs are likely, but may require frequent monitoring via MDX.

- Success at getting FPs depends primarily on two factors: the size of the group and how often one is willing to “refresh” the available FP list for that attraction. Constant refreshing, patience, and persistence can result in getting even the most difficult FPs as late as day-of.

- The MDX system can be used to check availability at any park, even if FPs are selected for a different park that day. However, guests are advised to be careful not to confirm any selections offered, or existing FPs will be affected. See the FP FAQ Addendum for more information.

- In general, day-of FP availability for most headliners--particularly outside of Magic Kingdom—is typically low and approaches nonexistent as choices for 4th FPs since several hours must pass until guests are eligible for 4th FPs.

- There is little evidence that different “pools” of FPs are maintained for different booking windows. In other words, the full slate of FPs available for any particular attraction is released at one time, some 70+ days in advance, and none are saved for offsite guests or those who wait until they arrive in the park.

- If maximum choice and times of FPs is desired, then reserving them at the earliest opportunity is highly recommended.

Last edited:
Using MDX To Schedule FastPasses

Rather than attempt to write something here myself, I will refer to Kenny the Pirate's excellent walkthrough here: Changes Made To FastPass Booking System At Walt Disney World. It includes a breakdown of the new process both via the MDX website and the mobile app. Thank you KtP!

The MDX website and mobile app have similar capabilities, but differ in subtle ways. If one is not working for what you want to do, try using the other. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Additional / Day-Of FastPasses / Kiosk Locations

- One additional FP can be selected per guest, subject to availability, using the MDX app or website or at any in-park kiosk once all prebooked FPs are used or expire. When that FP is used or expires, another FP can be scheduled and used (and so on). Guests can use the MDX website or app to schedule FPs in any park for that same day. In-park kiosks can also be used to schedule FPs, but only for attractions in that same park.

- MagicBands or tickets can be used at FP kiosks.

- Only one person in a party is necessary at the kiosk to schedule additional FPs.

- Only 4th FPs (and beyond) are not subject to tiering limitations. Scheduling less than 3 FPs for a day is not a shortcut to getting additional Group 1 FPs in the same park faster.

- Only 4th FPs (and beyond) can be chosen to repeat FP attractions. Scheduling less than 3 FPs for a day is not a shortcut to repeating an attraction with FP faster.

- If a FP return window has passed without being used, that FP can be rescheduled to later in the day (subject to availability).

- All scheduled FPs can be modified on either the MDX system or at a kiosk.

- Success at getting additional FPs depends primarily on two factors: the size of the group and how often one is willing to “refresh” the available FP list for an attraction. Constant refreshing, patience, and persistence can result in getting even the most difficult FPs as late as day-of.

Kiosk Locations

FP kiosks are located at a handful of locations in each park, and are generally open during normal park hours only. Depending on demand, not all of them may be open at all times and additional ones may be available. These locations have historically been very fluid. Guests are encouraged to verify these locations on park maps on the days of their visit:

MAGIC KINGDOM
  • Mickey's PhilharMagic
  • The Diamond Horseshoe
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Stitch's Great Escape!
  • City Hall / Guest Relations (not listed on park maps, not staffed)
EPCOT
  • Innoventions West Breezeway
  • Innoventions East Breezeway
  • Innoventions Plaza Tip Board (between SpaceShip Earth and Future World fountain)
  • International Gateway (between UK and France in World Showcase)
HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
  • Corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard
  • Sunset Boulevard (between Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster)
  • Toy Story Midway Mania
  • Muppet*Vision 3D
ANIMAL KINGDOM
  • Disney Outfitters
  • Island Mercantile
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Tusker House Restaurant
  • Guest Relations (not listed on park maps, not staffed)

Last edited:

Suggested Priorities By Park

These rankings are meant to be an objective list of which FP selections have the potential to save the most guests the most time under most conditions. These recommendations are the same at any time of year and in all crowd conditions. They do not account for any guest’s personal preferences.

Ranking System

A - Using FP here will usually save the most time as compared to the attraction's average standby wait.
B - Using FP here will usually save some time as compared to the attraction's average standby wait.
C - Using FP here will usually save little time as compared to the attraction's average standby wait.

Attractions listed within the same priority class are in alphabetical order and do not indicate priority within the class.

Tiering and show FP types are explained below the list.

FastPass+ Attraction List With Suggested Priorities

MAGIC KINGDOM (25 Attractions)

A - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
A - Peter Pan's Flight
A - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
A - Space Mountain
A - Splash Mountain
B - Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
B - Enchanted Tales With Belle
B - Haunted Mansion
B - Jungle Cruise
B - Meet Ariel at her Grotto
B - Meet Cinderella and a Guest at Princess Fairytale Hall
B - Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater
B - Meet Rapunzel and a Guest at Princess Fairytale Hall
B - Pirates of the Caribbean
B - The Barnstormer
B - The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
B - Tomorrowland Speedway
B - Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid
C - Dumbo the Flying Elephant
C - it's a small world
C - Mad Tea Party
C - Meet Tinker Bell at Town Square Theater
C - Mickey's PhilharMagic
C - Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
C - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin

EPCOT (11 Attractions) Tiering

Tier 1/Group 1 (select no more than one)

A - Frozen Ever After
A - Soarin' Around the World
A - Test Track (Single Rider also available)
C - Epcot Forever (Reserved Area @ World Showcase Plaza)

Tier 2/Group 2 (select up to three)
B - Mission: Space (applies to either Orange or Green)
B - Spaceship Earth
B - Turtle Talk With Crush
C - Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival
C - Journey Into Imagination With Figment
C - Living with the Land
C - The Seas with Nemo & Friends

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS (15 Attractions) Tiering

A - Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway (available March 4)
A - Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (Single Rider also available)
A
- Slinky Dog Dash

A - Toy Story Midway Mania
A - Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (Single Rider also available)
A - Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
B - Alien Swirling Saucers
B - For the First Time in Forever: A "Frozen" Sing-Along Celebration (Separate Access)
B - Star Tours
C - Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage (Reserved Area)
C - Disney Junior Dance Party! (Reserved Area @ center-front section, but poor viewing)
C - Fantasmic! (Reserved Area @ left-front section)
C - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular (Separate Access)
C - Muppet*Vision 3D
C - Voyage of the Little Mermaid (Separate Access)

Note: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance does not currently offer FP+. It is safe to assume this attraction will be Priority A when it eventually does. This list will be updated as soon as more information is known.

ANIMAL KINGDOM (14 Attractions) Tiering

A - Avatar Flight of Passage
B - Na'vi River Journey

A - Expedition Everest (Single Rider also available)
A
- Kali River Rapids
A - Kilimanjaro Safaris
A - Rivers Of Light (Reserved Area)
B - DINOSAUR
B - Festival of the Lion King (Separate Access)
B - Finding Nemo (Separate Access)
B - Primeval Whirl
C - It's Tough to be a Bug
C - Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost
C - The Animation Experience at Conservation Station
C - UP! A Great Bird Adventure

Parks With FP Tiering

In Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom, FP attractions are divided into two groups, also known as tiers. Guests are able to make up to one selection from Group 1, and up to two selections from Group 2. Alternatively, guests can also make all three selections from Group 2 if desired.

A second Group 1 attraction in the same park can be scheduled only as a 4th FP or beyond. In other words, scheduling less than 3 FPs for a day in a tiered park is not a shortcut to getting a second Group 1 FP in the same park faster.

Guests participating in the FP+ Pilot Program (additional fee and room requirements apply) are not subject to these tiering limitations for their 3 additional FPs only. Note that these additional FPs can only be scheduled by calling Disney, not by using MDX. Tiering rules still apply to the already-included 3 FPs for any WDW guest.

Attractions With Scheduled Times (Shows)

Reserved Area - Indicates an exclusive section for use by guests with FP. This type of FP has moderate value in terms of saving time but does secure preferred viewing.
The “worth” of this type of FP is highly subjective.

Separate Access - Indicates guests with FP are allowed into the general show area shortly before or at the same time (via a separate queue) as standby guests. This type of access has little value in terms of saving time or securing preferred viewing.

Last edited:
Strategies

- Scheduling FP attractions is never required but always advised, at any time of year and in all crowd conditions.

- The sooner FPs are scheduled, the wider the range of options (preferred attractions and at preferred times) that will be available.

- If staying in a single park for most of the day and arriving at park open, the best time of day to schedule FPs is often late morning to mid-afternoon. This approach balances the competing desires to have useful FPs (when lines are longest) with the ability to get additional FPs (when they may still be available).

- If a guest is interested in getting as many FPs as possible, then they should be scheduled as early in the day as possible. Wait times are usually shorter in the first 2 hours after park open however, making these early FPs not as beneficial as they would be later in the morning or afternoon. The advantage to this approach is that more FPs for headliners may be available after these early FPs are used.

- When park-hopping, the best strategy is often to make FP selections in the second park each day. However, there is no right answer and it is up to each individual to determine which approach fits their touring style best.

- One recommended booking strategy is to schedule the hardest-to-get FPs on each day (Avatar Flight Of Passage, Frozen Ever After, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, etc.) before anything else. For example, schedule only FOP on Day 7, only FEA on Day 6, then return to those days later to fill in your schedule with the easier-to-get FPs.

- Scheduling FPs for a nighttime show such as Epcot Forever or Fantasmic! severely impacts the ability to choose additional FPs afterwards. These attractions are often better choices for guests who prefer to arrive late in the day to a park, have multiple days scheduled at the same park, or perceive the usual viewing areas as too crowded. In general they do not save much time and there are many good viewing locations, but they may or may not provide a less-crowded viewing experience. There is consistently a wide range of opinions on their worth and there is no right answer.

- Consider using Single Rider for the three WDW attractions that offer it. A guest must be at least 7yo to use Single Rider.

- A common Epcot question is which attraction to use FP on if interested in riding Frozen Ever After, Soarin', and Test Track on the same day. Usually FEA is the best answer (as it generally sees the longest waits), while using Single Rider for TT and rope drop for Soarin' will help reduce wait times at those attractions. Average standby wait times for Soarin' have lessened somewhat since the addition of a third theater in 2016.

- If attempting to book FPs for a large group without success, consider breaking up into smaller groups and trying to overlap FP return windows. While not ideal, this strategy may allow everyone to still arrive at the same time with a valid FP, just not for an entire 60-minute return window. For instance, a large family with 8 members may have success dividing into 3 smaller groups; with Group A having a 1:00p-2:00p return window, Group B a 1:20p-2:20p return window, and Group C a 1:40p-2:40p return window. In this case, everyone could arrive at the attraction between 1:40p and 2:00p with valid FPs and still ride together.

- Once an FP has been redeemed by tapping a MagicBand or ticket to the first "Mickey head" scan point at the FP queue entrance, the next FP can be immediately moved up using MDX to get through required FPs as quickly as possible. This can be useful when attempting to schedule a second Tier 1 attraction as soon as possible in the same day.

Last edited:
Special Events / Refurbishments / New Attractions

- FPs cannot be scheduled during Extra Magic Hours.

- FPs cannot be scheduled during hard-ticket special access hours such as those provided by Disney Early Morning Magic Hours or Disney After Hours.

- FPs cannot be scheduled during hard-ticket events such as Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, Early Morning Magic, or Disney After Hours. In the past, MNSSHP or MVMCP tickets could be used for scheduling FPs during the party’s 3-hour grace period from 4:00p to 7:00p. Currently this is still generally true (albeit only from 4:00p to 6:00p) but only for some guests in certain ticket situations. If a guest is attending during the day and a party on the same night, the maximum of 3 prescheduled FPs per guest still applies.

- Additional FP attractions are offered for some seasonal shows. In the tiered parks (Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom), these FPs are integrated into the existing tiering system and can appear as Group 1 or Group 2 attractions.

- The MDX system will not allow a guest to schedule FP for an attraction scheduled for refurbishment on that day. Changes to attraction refurbishment schedules are often unpredictable and can occur on short notice, even after a guest has scheduled FP for that attraction. In this case, MDX may send an email to the account holder to alert them of their options.

- If an attraction undergoes a long refurbishment, FPs will often be available to schedule once Disney announces the attraction’s reopening date. Disney’s refurbishment schedule and official announcements are often unpredictable however, so unfortunately there is no concrete answer to when FPs will open in these cases.

- Similarly, FPs for any new attraction may or may not be available to schedule once Disney announces the attraction’s opening date. FPs may not be released for a new attraction until just days before or even after the attraction is open. Guests wishing to schedule FPs for new attractions will need to remain vigilant once their booking windows open, and can assume that these attractions will be very popular FP choices.

Last edited:
For additional information on FastPass+ and park hopping, checking availability, stays longer than 14 days, and obtaining multiple Tier 1 attractions please see this thread by poster @Cluelyss: FP FAQ Addendum

Last edited:
I know this is complete speculation at this point, but in your (anyone's) opinion, do you think that the nighttime safari at AK will be considered the same attraction as the daytime safari, and therefore both not book able as advanced FP?

I know this is complete speculation at this point, but in your (anyone's) opinion, do you think that the nighttime safari at AK will be considered the same attraction as the daytime safari, and therefore both not book able as advanced FP?

I assume they will be treated as the same attraction.

Great thread - very informative.

My question is regarding (surprise, surprise) a split stay and my booking window:

We will be at GF from 5/10-5/14, then offsite from 5/15-5/17. My 60 day window came and went last Thursday (10 pm MST) and I was able to book FPs for my onsite days no problem. After reading the above (and multiple other posts), I was under the impression that after my 60+ window, my offsite days would open up one at a time. However, I'm still not able to book anything for 5/15-5/17. Is this because my 60 day mark for the offsite stay hasn't hit yet, meaning I'll be able to book 5/15 on 3/15, 5/16 on 3/16, etc? Am I understanding this correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!