Fate of the Moderate Resorts?

Wow, YoHo back where you started! :)

I was recently pondering the price changes over the years for these resorts. It seems almost as if middle income people were pushed from the deluxes to the moderates as prices escalated. Now it almost seems like the middle income folks are being pushed even further into the budget category. I for one refuse to go there. :D

It will be interesting to see what happens to the resorts as the economy improves. Will the moderates come back up to full force or will that Pop thing be the next big thing?

I will gaaruntee you that as the Economy improves, the Moderates will see a resurgence. I think that despite the fact that your average visitor may not have a landbaron like understanding of the show, they know that its better then not having the show. You will see the moderates regain their numbers.

So, short term, I see the mods getting hit hard, long term, they come back. consiquently, I suspect that long term the Values will see the most dramatic loss of guests. People who moved from All-stars to the off property hotels and have rediscovered what they can offer may not come back. Disney could be forced into providing EE just to get their Value resorts filled. whereas the Mods and the Deluxes offer other reasons to stay.

YoHo, for what it's worth, I don't know that the All Stars have lost too many guests to off-site alternatives lately. On our most recent trip (despite the parks being empty) the All Stars were filled pretty tightly. On two seperate nights, at the MK bus station ONLY the All Stars had ANY guests in the queues at some moments. And it was not for lack of All Star busses, they were rolling in one after another. The parking lots at the All Stars were jammed. On the contrary, when we had dinner at the Beach Club & AKL the parking lots were ghostly vacant (especially AKL).

So, whatever recovery strategy WDW implements, it most likely won't need to worry about filling the All Stars.

I agree, the moderates will all be open once again. Let's hope it's not to far from now.

Well, gcurling, I suspect you know what I'm going to say, but I'll say it anyway.

Or, perhaps a graph. note that this is just a theory.
this theory is what is happening to hotel occupancy in the face of the economy.

[Deluxe Resorts]
loose a proportionally few number of guests. many of these guests aren't affected at all by the economy. Of the guests they do loose, some tricle down to the Moderates and some are probably simply not going at all having spent themselves into the poorhouse. (not just on Disney)
|
|
[Moderate Resorts]
Many of the typical guests here have been hit the worst by the economy. Still they value the Disney resort expireance. probably 90% of those still going on a vacation are going to the Value resorts. Since Disney can't keep these open, the backlash is also going elsewhere.
|
|
|
[Value Resorts]
Values are seeing an influx from the resorts above them. along with deep discounting, they can maintain their occupancies.
|
|
|
[offsite] those who valued onsite only for EE and E-nights combined with those who see $25 nights as a much better value.

So my theory says that Values will maintain relativly normal occupancies simply because of influx from the Moderate level. Offsite is doing okay, and will likely maintain much of its new people after the recession.
Deluxe while seeing a dropoff becomes insulated due to the insulated nature of those that can afford it.

Moderates get the shaft, there is minimal influx from above and tons of people moving to the Values.

Hey, your theory fits us to a tee! We stayed at the Allstars this past year instead of at the moderates like we usually do. I finally agreed to try the Allstars because the economy had knocked us for a loop. If I weren't so devoted to Disney, I doubt that we would have gone at all or we would have at the very least stayed offsite like we did the year before.

I like your theory, it makes perfect sense. Now let's see if the Allstars really do experience a drop off.

But YoHo, when reality doesn't play to the the theory....

Maybe it was just perception, but we parked at the Contemp, Poly, AKL, BC & GF during our last stay. A couple of breakfasts, a couple of dinners and one "unauthorized" easy-get to the MK.

Now, I've parked & dined at all of these places many times before so I have some perspective. They were empty, and I mean how. I was so astonished at the sight I saw at AKL that upon arrival I pulled out the cell and called Peter Pirate. He wouldn't have believed the sight.

Boma was so empty, as was Cape May & 1900 park fare & Ohana. I made the leap of logic and assumed that those resorts were pretty bare as well.

But, at the other end of the caste system, the All Stars were jam-packed our entire trip.

It seems to me that the deluxes are suffering more, in general.

I don't really visit this board much , but this topic sort of bit me . Some of you are SNOBS and RUDE. What about people who could not afford to go to WDW without the AllStars? They are not roach motels you know. I have stayed at ASMu and ASMo and had a great time at both, I plan to try POR next . Some of us are not used to having our bums kissed and bags carried and for the price of that treatment , we don't feel as though we are missing much . Some of you need to step out of your WDW vacation=wealthy families box.

As for AllStars not being much of a value - the small motels in my town charge $125 a night, and I am talking Holiday Inn, so for us , AllStars and Moderates area great value. AllStars are also themed with children and forever young adults in mind. My kids will be disappointed when we stay elsewhere- they think its a kids resort, just for them.

I am glad Disney is thinking of middle class families (I wish they would think about them when they set ticket prices) If you don't like AllStars - don't stay there , same with the moderates. We really don't like the sissy whiner types anyway.

Well gcurling, I suppose its possible that the Deluxe are being hit hard. Obviously however they haven't been hit hard enough to cause closer.

As to snobbery, Where's landbaron when you need him?

We really don't like the sissy whiner types anyway.<------wow that was awesome jenfur right on girl

Well, I can't afford to stay in the deluxes without a great deal but I still don't care for the Allstars. I personally didn't enjoy them and surprisingly neither did my son. I do like the moderates however and I feel that they do offer a good Disney experience.

I believe that what makes a Disney trip special for someone is really subjective. Some people who aren't rich seem to save and scrimp because their idea of a full Disney experience seems to require staying in a deluxe. Others feel pixilated when they stay in a moderate while still others (including some who are well off) seem to feel this magic when they stay at the Allstars. I don't believe that any of these preferences are wrong nor do these choices make anyone a snob or whatever. I just believe that we all have different ideas of what constitutes magic and I support everyone's right to enjoy it however they wish.

I also support everyone's right to discuss it. Differing viewpoints have made this board the entertaining place it is and I sincerely hope that it remains so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter