• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite DVC Pool for Teenagers

Hibernians

Donald Duck Changed My Life
So here we go, planning our summer 2014 WDW trip; we have stayed at SSR and BCV and our kids love SAB; but we want to try a new DVC resort. We spied BWV many a time but the pool left us uninspired.

Our kids love the expanse and variety of SAB; I'm trying to gather some input from my fellow DVCers- what's the best, most vibrant pool at a DVC resort (besides SAB) ? BTW, our kids will be ages 15,15,13 and 12 next summer.

Mind, this is not the only factor in deciding which resort but its gotta figure at least 33% of our decision. We would factor the other 67% on resort theme/amenities/restaurants and location/distance to parks by bus/boat/foot.

Thanks
Joe

Nothing comes close. Boardwalk's slide and pool is really the best of the rest.

We are staying there for the 1st time in Dec, but I have heard that AKV has a fantastic pool (not sure if it's the Kadani pool or the Jambo house pool...or both). My inaws have stayed there with their teens a few times and they LOVE it. I am looking forward to our upcoming stay and we even added on points there even though we hadn't stayed there yet. BCV, as you know, is an awesome location with a great pool. SSR, OKW, BWV wasn't anything spectacular, pool-wise. I think VWL was pretty decent...DS-16 says it's his fave resort. We haven't done BLT yet (DH and I are about to try it next month...sans kids) but from what I've seen and read, that pool isn't anything spectacular either.

might go with BLT you can walk to the MK.

the pool is cute - the big problem the water is not very deep - it's like 3'.

the pool at CR is much deeper - and it just seems more adult. you can also visit - WL (by boat), Polyn's and GF's (by monorail) if you want too.

thanks for your input - its sort of surprising that the pools are not all that spectacular; maybe Disney realizes that if they were all like SAB then the water parks would suffer.

We are tempted to do AKV but have spoken to friends who admit the bus ride wait and commute times to parks were a negative. We are leaning towards being near a park, so that eliminates OKW. I think it might come down to VWL or BLT.

thanks for your input - its sort of surprising that the pools are not all that spectacular; maybe Disney realizes that if they were all like SAB then the water parks would suffer.

We are tempted to do AKV but have spoken to friends who admit the bus ride wait and commute times to parks were a negative. We are leaning towards being near a park, so that eliminates OKW. I think it might come down to VWL or BLT.

Although we loved our stay at VWL, our boys felt the pool was lacking. They preferred the pool at AKV (we did a split stay). We've stayed there twice and have had no issue with the busses. They actually requested OKW for our trip this March. The pool is nice, but what they really enjoy there is that they can take a break from the pool and play basketball, tennis or ping pong as everything is right there.

Although we loved our stay at VWL, our boys felt the pool was lacking. They preferred the pool at AKV (we did a split stay). We've stayed there twice and have had no issue with the busses. They actually requested OKW for our trip this March. The pool is nice, but what they really enjoy there is that they can take a break from the pool and play basketball, tennis or ping pong as everything is right there.

good food for thought nolanboys; I never thought about hoops; that would be a big plus for my boys and AKV would get our vote based on the theme and restaurants; the only concern would be the buses and from reading these boards I have seen all sorts of experiences from pretty good to awful.

good food for thought nolanboys; I never thought about hoops; that would be a big plus for my boys and AKV would get our vote based on the theme and restaurants; the only concern would be the buses and from reading these boards I have seen all sorts of experiences from pretty good to awful.

The AKV bus trips can be a bit of a problem. It just seems to me that the time waiting if you just miss one is longer than some of the other resorts. I really wish you could just walk to the AK from the resort but that's not an option. It does not detract from the overall experience but it can be a bit of an inconvenience at times.

My teenagers like the main pool at the BW and the pool at BLT. The BW pool has a great slide and it kinda feels "in the action" since its close to the Boardwalk itself. They also love the slide at BLT and the setting on the lake.

Have a great trip!

We just did a split stay between AKL and BLT. And the BLT pool was a major let down. It's tiny compared to the one at Jambo house. The slide got a thumbs up though.

I would do BWV. The pool, entertainment, & dining on the BW is awesome! The community hall is great, too. Plus, close to Epcot & DHS.

One advantage to AKV is that you can you the pool at Jambo and Kidani. The Jambo pool is huge and the slide is decent. The evening movies are played at one end of the pool. The game room is right next to the pool area, as is the Mara QS. The Kidani pool is smaller, but the slide is great. We have always been happy with the bus service from AKV.

As others have mentioned, the BLT pool is quite small and shallow, but the slide is really nice. And, you can use the pool at CR.

For pools, my DS and his friends have liked SSR even better than BCV (altho they like being near Epcot better than being near Downtown Disney)...at SSR you have two themed pools w/slides and one that has both food/drink and a splash play area...and the Congress Park pool, while not themed and w/out food/drink, is particularly fun for them at night...

Judging solely on the pools, I'd rate the resorts as follows:

BCV, SSR, VWL, BLT, BWV, AKV, VGF, OKW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter