Favorite Family Vacation?

Obviously Disney World, but probably our FAVORITE trip was last summer to San Francisco and Northern California. We spent two nights in SF, rented a car and drove north to Eureka, spent three nights there exploring the redwood trees and coast, then drove back to SF, returned the rental car, and spent three more nights.

We also enjoyed our trip to Disneyland, Southern CA beaches, and LA.

This is our exact plan for this summer, except 1 day instead of 3 on the back end in SF. Can't wait. Any insight/tips on the North Coast leg of the trip you can give? Thanks!

Back in 2015 we flew to Philly then made a loop to Baltimore, the Amish country in Pennsylvania, Gettysburg, Hershey, Valley Forge, and then all the Philly stuff-Liberty Bell, Indy Hall, etc. A lot of great elements in one trip-country/outdoor activities, history, theme parks, and city life. It was a great trip and exceeded our expectations!

This is our exact plan for this summer, except 1 day instead of 3 on the back end in SF. Can't wait. Any insight/tips on the North Coast leg of the trip you can give? Thanks!

I could honestly talk about it all day, LOL!!

We stayed in Eureka at the Bayshore Inn Best Western, which I don't necessarily recommend, but it's not awful, we just stayed in pretty fancy hotels in SF so it felt a little sketchy! It wasn't really that bad, and was decently located.

On our drive from SF northward, we took the Avenue of the Giants once we got to it, and also stopped at every tourist stop we found, lol!! We went to Richardson Grove State Park and talked to a park ranger at the visitor center who told us where we should stop for lunch (a pizza place in an itty bitty town called Miranda). We stopped at Confusion Hill and the Chandelier Drive Thru Tree. We stopped at a few groves of trees with good parking areas, Founders Grove was one in particular to see the Dyerswood Giant. It's all just beautiful. We also took some time to drive down by the river and check it out.

On the first full day up there, we just drove north and stopped at several groves and visitor centers in the Redwood National Park, including Thomas Kuchel Visitor Center, and looked at the beach there. We went to Lady Bird Johnson Grove and walked the path loop, stopped to look for elk (prairie creek visitor center, I think), went through the Klamath Tour Thru Tree ( i guess i just needed to drive through a bunch of trees :rotfl: ), and one of our favorite things was Trees of Mystery. You walk the path through some really amazing trees, and they also have a gondola that you ride up through the trees. On the way back toward Eureka that day, if we saw something that looked interesting, we just took the road. We ended up on a scenic route that took us to a high cliff area where you could see the ocean and got some amazing views.

We stopped at Clam Beach, and Trinidad Beach...The Lighthouse Grill in Trinidad was so good we ate there two days in a row.

We had an amazing breakfast one day at Gil's By the Bay in Eureka - not a fancy place, locals heavy clientele, kind of a greasy spoon-ish place but SO GOOD.

We took a day trip over to Willow Creek for the Big Foot Museum, and the drive is beautiful (hilly and curvy if you have any car sick people with you). We hit Arcata on the way back, and old town Eureka.

There is a lot of homelessness in Eureka and the coastal small towns. Humboldt County in general, really, lots of transient people who just live life on the road, but a lot of open drug use (saw more up north than in SF, not counting weed, which is pretty much just a given in CA and we don't even notice anymore unless the smell hits you in the face b/c a big group of (most likely tourists) is smoking in a huge clump on the sidewalk in SF), so prepare yourself if that makes you uncomfortable. We saw a homeless guy lighting his crack pipe on a bench in downtown Eureka, which will jar you from your vacation mode. We are very open with our kids about the hardships of life, but I know some people are more sheltering of their kids, so it's just something to be aware of.

On the way back to SF we took a detour over to Ferndale, which is a beautiful little Victorian village, and worth seeing if you are into that sort of thing. I am, so it was worth it to me to make us go over there!

I know I've rattled on forever, but my best advice is to just explore the area! We saw so much incredible scenery that we wouldn't have if we didn't take some side roads from time to time.

You WILL lose GPS and phone service on the Avenue of the Giants and through the trees!! Everything is well marked and you won't get lost, but just be aware of that as well.

Sorry for writing a novel, but it was truly one of our favorite experiences. I'm glad you asked b/c it made me look back through our pictures and made me smile!

I could honestly talk about it all day, LOL!!

We stayed in Eureka at the Bayshore Inn Best Western, which I don't necessarily recommend, but it's not awful, we just stayed in pretty fancy hotels in SF so it felt a little sketchy! It wasn't really that bad, and was decently located.

On our drive from SF northward, we took the Avenue of the Giants once we got to it, and also stopped at every tourist stop we found, lol!! We went to Richardson Grove State Park and talked to a park ranger at the visitor center who told us where we should stop for lunch (a pizza place in an itty bitty town called Miranda). We stopped at Confusion Hill and the Chandelier Drive Thru Tree. We stopped at a few groves of trees with good parking areas, Founders Grove was one in particular to see the Dyerswood Giant. It's all just beautiful. We also took some time to drive down by the river and check it out.

On the first full day up there, we just drove north and stopped at several groves and visitor centers in the Redwood National Park, including Thomas Kuchel Visitor Center, and looked at the beach there. We went to Lady Bird Johnson Grove and walked the path loop, stopped to look for elk (prairie creek visitor center, I think), went through the Klamath Tour Thru Tree ( i guess i just needed to drive through a bunch of trees :rotfl: ), and one of our favorite things was Trees of Mystery. You walk the path through some really amazing trees, and they also have a gondola that you ride up through the trees. On the way back toward Eureka that day, if we saw something that looked interesting, we just took the road. We ended up on a scenic route that took us to a high cliff area where you could see the ocean and got some amazing views.

We stopped at Clam Beach, and Trinidad Beach...The Lighthouse Grill in Trinidad was so good we ate there two days in a row.

We had an amazing breakfast one day at Gil's By the Bay in Eureka - not a fancy place, locals heavy clientele, kind of a greasy spoon-ish place but SO GOOD.

We took a day trip over to Willow Creek for the Big Foot Museum, and the drive is beautiful (hilly and curvy if you have any car sick people with you). We hit Arcata on the way back, and old town Eureka.

There is a lot of homelessness in Eureka and the coastal small towns. Humboldt County in general, really, lots of transient people who just live life on the road, but a lot of open drug use (saw more up north than in SF, not counting weed, which is pretty much just a given in CA and we don't even notice anymore unless the smell hits you in the face b/c a big group of (most likely tourists) is smoking in a huge clump on the sidewalk in SF), so prepare yourself if that makes you uncomfortable. We saw a homeless guy lighting his crack pipe on a bench in downtown Eureka, which will jar you from your vacation mode. We are very open with our kids about the hardships of life, but I know some people are more sheltering of their kids, so it's just something to be aware of.

On the way back to SF we took a detour over to Ferndale, which is a beautiful little Victorian village, and worth seeing if you are into that sort of thing. I am, so it was worth it to me to make us go over there!

I know I've rattled on forever, but my best advice is to just explore the area! We saw so much incredible scenery that we wouldn't have if we didn't take some side roads from time to time.

You WILL lose GPS and phone service on the Avenue of the Giants and through the trees!! Everything is well marked and you won't get lost, but just be aware of that as well.

Sorry for writing a novel, but it was truly one of our favorite experiences. I'm glad you asked b/c it made me look back through our pictures and made me smile!

Don't apologize at all! I love having as much info as possible. We have the dates, flights, car rental, etc. set, just getting into the detailed planning now. How is the drive from SF to say, Avenue of the Giants? We are considering going up California 1 on the coast to Fort Bragg and then making the Avenue of the Giants our northernmost stop, but also heavily considering Eureka/Arcata. What say you?

The only family vacations we have taken are Wisconsins Dells, Branson MO, and Disneyworld.

I hated Branson, MO. But if you like country music and/or unheard of musical groups/cover groups putting on shows you might love it. We do Wisconsin Dells with my husband's family and we usually do it once a year or so. We all stay together in a HUGE house. It's not ALWAYS the Dells, but it's always Wisconsin and it's always on water. It's a good time usually.

Disney World though really was my favorite. We went for the first time in 2016. We went with my husband's parents, sisters and their families. Thought I like local trips with them, we won't ever spend big, expensive vacations with them ever again. We're going back on our own in December of this year.

We enjoyed Gatlingburg, TN. Rented a gorgeous house in the mountains with an amazing view. We liked it because there was a lot of touristy stuff to do, but also had great state parks with hiking trails. Best of both worlds.

I think this will be our next vacation. I have found so many beautiful rental homes on VRBO and HomeAway with beautiful mountain views. I have never seen the Eastern mountains. I am thinking 2021 for this trip!

Don't apologize at all! I love having as much info as possible. We have the dates, flights, car rental, etc. set, just getting into the detailed planning now. How is the drive from SF to say, Avenue of the Giants? We are considering going up California 1 on the coast to Fort Bragg and then making the Avenue of the Giants our northernmost stop, but also heavily considering Eureka/Arcata. What say you?

it was an easy drive for us, but we took 101 instead of the coast, for timing reasons. Mendocino, Ft. Bragg and glass beach were something we wanted to see, and Bodega Bay (b/c I love The Birds, but we couldn't justify the time for that little side jaunt), but we skipped it in favor of trees and northern coastline. We saw a lot of vineyards and things like that, but it was just a straight shot up the highway and super easy that way.

The drive through the trees on Ave of the Giants is very pretty - it can get curvy in spots, and you have to be constantly aware of people who've pulled off to walk through trees (some areas have trails that cross the road esp. if near a campground, but again, everything is marked), and depending on time of day, the sunlight through the trees makes visibility interesting. It's dark under the tree canopy, and then blinding sun can glare in if it's a bright day.

If that's your northernmost stopping point, you'll still enjoy your visit! If you aren't planning on going beyond Eureka or Aracata, I don't know that you'd be missing much by skipping them and calling it good once you hit the northern part of the Ave, we preferred Trinidad and points north toward Klamath.

We went last july, so there was some smokiness on the fringes of Santa Rosa on our way back south to SF, and warning signs, but nothing that impacted our trip. My only last bit of advice is to be aware of the weather depending on when you're going. We were there middle of July and it was pretty chilly off and on throughout the days. If you have tickets for Alcatraz bring a good wind breaker. The wind was so strong on the island it was almost knocking us off our feet in certain places when we were exploring the exterior.

Have fun!! It is definitely one of the best trips we've ever taken.

Road trips to national parks and see the country! Did a three week trip from NJ thru SD to Yellowstone/Grand Teton, up to Glacier National Park and home thru ND. Another 3 week trip from NJ thru Colorado to Utah (Arches, Bryce, Zion NP) thru Vegas to Disneyland in California and then home thru Grand Canyon area and traveling the old Route 66. Best trips ever! Our country is soooo beautiful and unless you get out there and drive, you miss so much flying!

it was an easy drive for us, but we took 101 instead of the coast, for timing reasons. Mendocino, Ft. Bragg and glass beach were something we wanted to see, and Bodega Bay (b/c I love The Birds, but we couldn't justify the time for that little side jaunt), but we skipped it in favor of trees and northern coastline. We saw a lot of vineyards and things like that, but it was just a straight shot up the highway and super easy that way.

The drive through the trees on Ave of the Giants is very pretty - it can get curvy in spots, and you have to be constantly aware of people who've pulled off to walk through trees (some areas have trails that cross the road esp. if near a campground, but again, everything is marked), and depending on time of day, the sunlight through the trees makes visibility interesting. It's dark under the tree canopy, and then blinding sun can glare in if it's a bright day.

If that's your northernmost stopping point, you'll still enjoy your visit! If you aren't planning on going beyond Eureka or Aracata, I don't know that you'd be missing much by skipping them and calling it good once you hit the northern part of the Ave, we preferred Trinidad and points north toward Klamath.

We went last july, so there was some smokiness on the fringes of Santa Rosa on our way back south to SF, and warning signs, but nothing that impacted our trip. My only last bit of advice is to be aware of the weather depending on when you're going. We were there middle of July and it was pretty chilly off and on throughout the days. If you have tickets for Alcatraz bring a good wind breaker. The wind was so strong on the island it was almost knocking us off our feet in certain places when we were exploring the exterior.

Have fun!! It is definitely one of the best trips we've ever taken.

Great stuff! We are going to Alcatraz, so thanks for that tip. You confirmed my thoughts and research on making the Avenue our stopping point. We have also thought about swinging through the Napa Valley on the way back to SF. Our schedule right now is fly Atlanta to Oakland on Sunday, Sunday and Monday in SF, Tuesday at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (free tickets and coaster/theme park junkies!), Wednesday and Thursday Redwoods and the North Coast, Friday back to SF area (this is where we are thinking of squeezing in Napa or more Redwoods!), fly back to the ATL on Saturday morning. Thanks again for all the pointers!

Whatever vacations I'm taking this year:)...

Seriously, I enjoy each and every family vacation we take. I enjoy the planning and working within a limited budget and having to meet varied interests. I like seeing totally new places and visiting old nostalgic ones. I like practically every type of vacation (except camping - I don't rough it), and I like to try a different thing every year (and also see a favorite thing:))...
'
As for favorite ones recently, the Anthem of the Seas cruise from NJ to Bermuda and Boston last year was spectacular - I got beaches, I got new international culture (1st time I made it out of the Dockyard in Bermuda and only 2nd time there, and this time it was sunny), I got American cities (Boston is one of my favorites), I got someone else to cook and clean, I got off-Broadway quality theater, song, and dance performances, I got to swim and rock climb and fake sky dive and drive bumper cars, I got a comedy club date night...it was great (even taking motion sickness meds for 2/3rds of it).

We took a 2 1/2 week road trip from our home in Pa. We stopped in St. Louis, White Sands National Monument, Carlsbad Caverns, Chicago, to name a few. Our girls have been begging to go back to White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns ever since. I believe they could have spent an entire week sliding down the dunes at White Sands. It was such a surreal spot.(Both places are so cheap probably why it is my husbands favorite vacation as well!!!) Riding to the top of the Gateway Arch was a lot of fun and we really enjoyed St. Louis as well. The zoo was free if I remember correctly and really nice. Last year we did California. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Arcata while visiting Redwoods. The hotel was updated nicely. We stayed at the Marriott Fisherman Wharf in San Francisco. It is an older hotel but also updated nicely and a great location. Alcatraz was awesome and San. Fran was a lot of fun. We flew into LA(wasn't bad)and visited Ronald Reagan Library, Sequoia National Park on our way to Arcata. On the way back we stopped in San Fran, San Jose, Palm Desert(Living Zoo is fantastic)and finally San Diego. We wanted to visit the SD zoo. It was awesome. We did nothing in LA but chose to fly in and out due to the cheap airfare and van rental. Overall we liked California and thought the Napa Valley was one of the prettiest places we've seen in all our travels. I fell in love with Fort Bragg, the town and people were wonderful. We skipped Disneyland last year, lack of time and money, but California had so much to do we didn't miss it. I'm in the beginning of planning another road trip for this year. We are heading to Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio, Moab, Glenwood Springs, Colorado Springs, and back to Chicago. Good luck in your planning and enjoy your vacation.

One of our favorite vacations was Lakeside, Ohio (The Chautauqua on Lake Erie). So very relaxing and quaint. Plus you can fit in a day trip to Cedar Point.
We've also loved Bruce National Park in Canada and Rocky Mountain National Park.
Disney Cruise wins for relaxation.

We went to Puerto Rico for the first time this February and we all absolutely loved it. It's a beautiful island, there's so much to do, and the people we encountered were all really friendly & helpful. We stayed in Isla Verde (near San Juan), and rented a car to go to the rainforest and to a cave hike near Arecibo. Our cell phones worked just fine there for GPS so once we got used to the road signs & names being in Spanish, driving around was pretty easy. We also visited Old San Juan and the Spanish forts. We already have the rest of our 2019 trips planned out, but I am strongly considering going back to PR for our Feb break trip next year.

We normally go to Disney World every year and wanted to do something different one year so we drove to Niagara Falls, that was the best trip we ever had. Had so much fun and so much to do/see
We're going to Niagara Falls at the end of June (taking my MIL for her birthday). What are some things you did that you especially loved? Or that your kids really loved? We're staying on the Canadian side, and I'm planning on doing the Hornblower cruise, but other than that I haven't done much research yet.

It's so fun to see what other people like to do for vacations. You can pretty much tell what side of the country they are on by which trips on more frequent. *making notes*

I'm going to throw out the ones we've taken-

• Mexican Riviera cruise (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, and someplace else I forget)
  • London/Paris - with a day trip up to Scotland
  • Italy - one week guided tour
  • 2 week tour of Australia - Sydney/Ayers Rock/Cairns
  • Eastern Caribbean Cruise - Belize/Cozumel/Honduras
  • New England cruise - in the fall to see the color change
  • WDW
  • San Diego - Balboa Park, Legoland, Sea Museum, pool days, Belmont Park
  • Road trip from Vegas thru Lake Tahoe, up to Crater Lake, and down the Pacific Coast Highway down to San Diego (AMAZING!)
  • Alaska cruise - my favorite!
  • Branson, MO
  • Smoky Mountain National Park/Dollywood - we only went for 3 days, but I want to go back and rent a cabin & stay a week!
  • Road trip from Vegas to Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons (Yellowstone is AWESOME!)
  • Hawaii - Kauai/Honolulu, Maui/Big Island, Kauai
  • Lake Tahoe/Carson City
That's all I can think of.

On my list for the next couple years-

On my bucket list:

We love WDW and DCL the most, this is the DIS! But last Summer we rented a lake house in NH with another family and we all loved that.

Two years ago we did a week long road trip from MA and did 2 nights at Hershey Park, 2 nights in Ohio (visiting family and going to the NFL Hall of Fame), then 1 night at Niagara Falls on the USA side. We all LOVED this trip! All were places we'd never been and it was so fun making new experiences.

We're doing San Diego and DL for the first time ever in 3 weeks and hope it's great!

Next year will be Cedar Point (DD10 is finally 54")
Future plans for a Chicago to Seattle train trip, stop a few nights along the way for National Parks, then fly back home.
D.C. trip is park of middle school plans
At some point Europe

Thanks everyone! You have been to very interesting places! I have some research to do.

My kids' favorite vacation: Disney Cruise
Mine: always Disney World
Dh: any cruise

We've been to DC many times, Williamsburg/BG, NYC, Pigeon Forge, Maui, Asheville, Myrtle Beach and several cruises. I'd love to go west to see Colorado, San Diego, Yellowstone and Sedona. The flights are really expensive for a family of 5 so I will keep checking for deals.

That will vary greatly on what it is you and your family are interested in. For us, a cultural or historic vacation such as Williamsburg, Boston, etc...would be as exciting as watching paint dry. Ugh, no thanks. Beaches are great, but me and my boys fry after half a day in the sun, so we couldn't spend an entire week on the beach. Besides, we'd get bored. Notice a theme? :D At the same time, we don't want to go, go, go on vacation either. I guess it's sort of a mix. We want a ton of options of things to do, but at our own pace. That's why we love WDW. Other other favorite destination has been Atlantis, in the Bahamas. Haven't been there in many years though, wish we could afford to go back.

Atlantis would be fun but we have to book two rooms since we have three kids.

Fav for us was going to the Santa Monica Pier. Had an awesome time. Then drove to the Grand Canyon, stayed a few days there too. Then drove to Las Vegas stayed a week there. Enjoyed immensely!

I asked DS12 what his favorite family vacation has been and he couldn't choose. He did say that he doesn't like WDW though. :crazy2:

Here's the successful family vacations we've taken:

Washington DC: Stayed at the Alexandria Embassy Suites across from the subway stop and the Old Town Alexandria trolley. You don't even need a car if you fly into Ronald Reagan National Airport because it's a few stops down from the airport stop.

Boston and Cape Cod: The kids loved the Freedom Trail Junior Ranger program. In Cape Cod we got to take a trip on a working lobster boat which the kids thought was awesome. We also enjoyed the Cape Cod National Park. We did Junior Ranger there too. Another big hit was Redcoats and Rebels at Old Sturbridge Village. It's the largest military reenactment in New England. I splurged on VIP tickets which were worth it because we were guaranteed seating during the battle reenactment.

San Francisco and Muir Woods: We stayed at the Argonaut Hotel which was worth the cost The location was ideal and the hotel was a real treat. The kids loved the cable car museum and China Town. We took a park ranger tour of the Muir Woods which was worth it.

England and Scotland: This was a bucket list trip. We spent two weeks in England and two weeks in Scotland. While we liked both, all four of us fell in love with Scotland and really wish to return. Edinburgh was gorgeous. We stayed in an apartment in the center of town near a grocery. I found it through the website www.booking.com. It's become one of my new go-to websites for booking places because it doesn't just include traditional hotels. We walked everywhere in the city which was quite exhausting because the city is very hilly. DS8 thought Edinburgh Castle was his favorite castle on the trip. We also attended a Highland Games where we saw Gordon Ramsay filming something. Other notable events/activities on the trip were: riding a fast boat on Loch Ness, sleeping in a castle, attending an evening outdoor Shakespeare play in Oxford (a friend took my dh and I for my birthday while her parents watched our kids), visiting an island that you can only go to when the tide is low, having a tour of the British Museum led by an Egyptologist/archaeologist, seeing The Lion King in London, and eating delicious dumplings in London's Chinatown.

New Mexico: This past Spring Break we drove to New Mexico. We started with Carlsbad Caverns and then went to White Sands. Some friends loaned us some sledding saucers which the kids had a blast with. When you hike out to the dunes from your car don't forget your sunscreen and water. We also went to the New Mexico Museum of Space History. It was small but had some neat stuff including a fascinating display about the first American in space, Ham the chimp. I'm trying to convince DS8 to by Ham for Halloween but he'd rather be a Pokemon.:sad2: On the way to Santa Fe, we stopped at Valley of Fires Recreation Area where we saw the ancient lava beds. It looked like a sci-fi set. The kids enjoyed climbing the huge lava rocks. We spent multiple days in Santa Fe where we had fun shopping, eating delicious New Mexican cuisine and wandering the square. We stayed at La Fonda on the Plaza which was right on the square. The hotel is famous for its art collection and even offers a free tour of their arts. Kids who stay there can go on a scavenger hunt of the hotel. It was a great activity on a bad weather morning.

As a 4 person family unit-wife and I, son, soon to be daughter in law-San Diego/Disneyland wins. Not fond of the rest of the area around LA, but love a couple of days at DL then the rest of the week in San Diego. Our daughter in law is begging to return to La Jolla.

Before the daughter in law-the 3 person family unit favorite was probably the Grand Canyon/Phoenix trip. Nashville was also a favorite, but not so much anymore-liked the old Nashville better.
Virginia Beach is a favorite, Panama City beach is a favorite, Myrtle Beach was not liked by anyone.

I completely agree that a DC trip is one of the cheapest one can take as most everything is free admission.

For just my wife and I:
Scotland is our favorite by far. Spent a day in London and will return for more. Dublin was just OK, but we want to see rural Ireland. Paris is on the agenda for this fall. Flight prices will dictate our return, but it was actually cheaper to fly to Paris than fly to Orlando for our dates.

We also love Vegas, and we're not gamblers. We do day trips for scenery, from Mt Charleston to the Hoover Dam to the Valley of Fire. We love the lights, the shows, the excitement, but also love that 30 minutes away is some of the best scenery in the US. We are considering flying into Salt Lake City and doing Zion/Bryce this fall, then spending the other 3 days in Vegas.

Visited New Orleans back in Feb and plan on a return visit there too-really liked it and did not dedicate enough time for the visit.

Of course Disneyworld is on the list.

Our disappointments:
Pittsburgh-hard to maneuver, just wasn't impressed.
Charleston, SC-must have missed the exciting areas, nobody in our group liked the area.
Los Angeles-dirty, traffic, just not our cup of tea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter