Favorite hacks to keep kiddos cool in the parks!

reyofsunshine

Earning My Ears
We scored a great deal to stay at CBR in a week or so. We normally go in November or February -- in colder months-- because I don't handle the heat well and having two kids (DD4, DD17 months) in the heat, in lines... not my idea of a vacation. Alas, here we are planning for a trip where the comfort feel will be in the 90s in two weeks. Here are some things I'll be bringing to help the kiddos stay cool:
- Planning for lots of shows
- Walking through gift shops
- Carousel of progress, people mover, philarmagic (all of the a/c rides)
- Extended awnings for the double stroller, so that their legs will be in the shade
- Stroller fans
- Cooling towels
- Cold snacks (oranges, apples, yogurt...etc.)
- Ice water
- Even bought these cooling stroller inserts that are supposed to help keep seats cool in the sun
- Patience

We'll also be leaving around lunch time for pool and naps at the hotel, then back again in the evening. Also doing Typhoon Lagoon one day while we're there.

Yes, I'm type A. Yes, I'm a worrier. And yes, I'm not a fan of the heat. Is there anything I'm missing?

Side note: All future trips will be in the Fall/Winter. I made my husband promise me. :)

From experience, cold snacks don't stay cold very long unless you have some sort of cooler. I'd personally avoid the yogurt.

My daughter doesn't eat when she's hot, neither do i. So I'd stay focused on hydration more than snacks.

Since you will have a strioller, pack a small cooler and zip lock bags. You will need the bags to put ice in (no loose ice allowed in parks).

bring a change of clothes for each child, a small hand towel. In MK near Space Mountain there is a cooling\misting station. MK also has Casey, Jr s splash park. Epcot has a few small splash pads. Great for a few minutes worth of fun and a, "cool" down. Don't forget sunscreen.

Shoes that can get wet and dry quickly--sandals, etc. That way any time there is an opportunity for the kids to get wet, either on a ride or in a splash zone, they can do so without worrying about them then walking around in wet shoes for the rest of day. (nobody wants a kid to wind up with a blister, after all.)

And if you can go with quick dry clothing, that helps, too. Makes it a bit easier if they don't have to change clothes immediately or even every time they get wet.

My kids swear by dumping a cup of water over their heads. They feel like if their hair is wet they feel cooler.

Fans are good but years ago we got a large Disney fan with a water bottle attached. We would put ice and water in the bottle and use that to spray our faces and necks. The ice cold water felt great. Also a lot of ice water. I would get 2 large "ice waters" for free from the snack bars but I would also ask for 2 large cups of just ice and mix them. A lot of times you ask for free ice water it is already made and sitting on counter and isn't that cold. Good luck

I also find that good sandals (open), as opposed to sneakers with socks really makes a difference. If you wear socks and sneakers your feet will be so hot and makes the body hotter.

We just got back form the "hottest" trip ever-temps were around 95 every day-we had stroller fans, those spray water bottle fans Disney sold every 10 feet from carts, drank about 6 bottles of water a day, refilling them with water from quick service restaurants. We even splurged on a couple the very cold ones from carts sometimes. We also had those cooling towels for everyone which were wonderful, plus we found shady spots outside to rest at least once an hour. We tried to alternate inside/outside attractions as best we could, which works well in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. All theFurture World attractions in Epcot were inside, butThe World Showcase was tougher. The Kidcot spots were always in shops that were cool. Animal Kingdom was a killer for us though, with only the Lion King and FInding Nemo shows inside, and most everything for younger kids except Navi River and Its Tough to be a Bug were outside. we left the park midday for swims and rest, and we had a wonderful time!

Our trip time with kids is the summer, preferably August.

How do we all stay cool...wake up early, head out to the parks by 7-7:15 depending on opening (6 last summer for TSL). Have our double insulated water bottles filled with ice and water, bring more water and sip on it frequently, aka while waiting in line.

Leave mid day and when the kids were younger nap. Return at dinner time. Now we swim mid day.

We never needed cooling towels or fans. My kids wore lightweight clothes and shoes that could get wet. We let them get wet as often as they wanted...dripping wet one year from being sprayed. One year I gave my son ice on his stroller tray. He loved ice (22 months) so he was staying cool by playing and eating it. Most of the rides have a/c so even though it’s hot in August we don’t always feel hit.

My kids are 5 and almost 3. When it's this hot and you have littles, get there as early as you can and get out by Noon-1p and head back to the pool. Unless there's rain nearby to drop the temperatures the afternoon are unbearable. (And I grew up 90 minutes from orlando so I'm not an unconditional northerner : ) ).

Keep hydrated by drinking water instead of sugared drinks. You can get cold water at most any QS and refill water bottles at the new stations at Tomorrow Land in MK.
Yogurt or any other item will stay cold using blue bags/packs in an insulated bag.
ETA: you can buy yogurt at any resort food court and the various fresh fruit stands at the parks.

Last edited:
Water bottle fans for sure! We got some on Amazon ahead of time. I also like Powerade Zero. Something different than water all the time, has electrolytes, and no sugar!!

We did a trip in late September a few years ago and it was brutal. 110+ heat indexes. It was very hard pushing around 2 little kids that were extremely hot. Meal times were a chore because they were so hot. Meltdowns were frequent. The best time to be in the park was when the sun set. We went back in the afternoon for naps, but still it was brutal. Our next trip is coming up next year end of february. I will never again go back in spring, summer or early fall. It will always be late fall and winter.

We scored a great deal to stay at CBR in a week or so. We normally go in November or February -- in colder months-- because I don't handle the heat well and having two kids (DD4, DD17 months) in the heat, in lines... not my idea of a vacation. Alas, here we are planning for a trip where the comfort feel will be in the 90s in two weeks. Here are some things I'll be bringing to help the kiddos stay cool:
- Planning for lots of shows
- Walking through gift shops
- Carousel of progress, people mover, philarmagic (all of the a/c rides)
- Extended awnings for the double stroller, so that their legs will be in the shade
- Stroller fans
- Cooling towels
- Cold snacks (oranges, apples, yogurt...etc.)
- Ice water
- Even bought these cooling stroller inserts that are supposed to help keep seats cool in the sun
- Patience

We'll also be leaving around lunch time for pool and naps at the hotel, then back again in the evening. Also doing Typhoon Lagoon one day while we're there.

Yes, I'm type A. Yes, I'm a worrier. And yes, I'm not a fan of the heat. Is there anything I'm missing?

Side note: All future trips will be in the Fall/Winter. I made my husband promise me. :)
We only visit WDW in 90+ weather and have 5 kids 10 & under. Sounds like you've covered most of it. Leaving midday probably the most important thing on your list. Freeze plastic water bottles and juice boxes the night before to use with your cooler ice packs. They will melt as the day goes on and be nice and cold when you are ready to drink them. We always pop into Gaston's Tavern for our ice tap water refills if we run out. We had small cooling towels for the kids this trip. Just a tiny strip they could either tie around their head like a bandana or hang around their necks. You do have to re-wet them often in the bathrooms. We had two larger ones that my husband, sister and I used. If you get really hot and are near fantasyland, Mickey's Philharmagic is our favorite place to cool down. So relaxing and cool on a hot day!

I also recommend the water fans and put ice water in them to cool. Your older child may like even having a small one with strap around the neck to use themselves. Also, a washcloth dipped in ice water on the back of the neck. I would add hall of presidents as a place to cool off in the MK. May be good to do at nap time. Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!