Favorite Solo Places to Dine?

magical-me

Mouseketeer
I really enjoyed my first solo trip this month and I’m planning on going again in January. I was pleasantly surprised at how my solo dining experiences went this past trip... and I plan on doing more!

Anyway what are some really good places to dine solo? Table Service wise?

I already did Tiffins (it was great!), BOG, and Brown Derby.

Any character restaurants one would recommend?

The Wave has become my favorite dining experience as a solo diner, because it's rarely crowded, the food is usually pretty good, and the service has always been top notch. Plus, because most families eating at the Contemporary go for Chef Mickey's, it's a much more low-key experience.

As for character dining as a solo traveler, I can't recommend 1900 Park Fare highly enough, especially at dinner. Children generally aren't interested in Lady Tremaine or her stepdaughters, so they end up spending more time at the adults only or solo tables, which can be lots of fun.

I also had my first solo trip this month. I ate at Skipper Canteen, Biergarten, 50s Prime Time, Boma, La Hacienda de San Angel, Le Cellier, Sci Fi Dine, and California Grill. Overall I had a wonderful time, and dining has long been an important part of the experience for me. The only one of these I will not return to is Sci Fi Dine. The atmosphere was very nice, but the food there left much to be desired. Being solo was in no way detrimental to dining at ANY of these restaurants.

I liked Chefs de France, lunch, near the window, Rose and Crown on the porch, Coral Reef-I asked for and got right by the tank. My favorite character meal, and probably the most comfortable for solos seems to be Cape May Cafe. The first time I went solo, I felt really awkward at first as a solo at a character meal. But I noticed quickly that at Cape May, I wasn't the only solo. Maybe the conventions near by mean more adults traveling alone.

Garden Grill is great for solo character dining... with the circular layout of the restaurant the interactions feel more intimate.
The Wave has become my favorite dining experience as a solo diner, because it's rarely crowded, the food is usually pretty good, and the service has always been top notch. Plus, because most families eating at the Contemporary go for Chef Mickey's, it's a much more low-key experience.

As for character dining as a solo traveler, I can't recommend 1900 Park Fare highly enough, especially at dinner. Children generally aren't interested in Lady Tremaine or her stepdaughters, so they end up spending more time at the adults only or solo tables, which can be lots of fun.
I’m thinking of doing both Garden Grill and 1900 Park Fair. I actually booked a dinner at 1900 Park Fair already, hopefully the 830p time slot is a good one. Less noisy kids, hopefully xD. When I did my first solo trip i was so nervous about meeting characters, but I totally enjoyed it.

I liked Chefs de France, lunch, near the window, Rose and Crown on the porch, Coral Reef-I asked for and got right by the tank. My favorite character meal, and probably the most comfortable for solos seems to be Cape May Cafe. The first time I went solo, I felt really awkward at first as a solo at a character meal. But I noticed quickly that at Cape May, I wasn't the only solo. Maybe the conventions near by mean more adults traveling alone.
everywhere!

I've done 8 solo trips to date and you really can't go wrong. I especially love Sci-fi, Victoria and Alberts and rose and crown on the porch for illuminations.

Thank you! Rose and Crown is something I’m looking into

Agree with The Wave, Skipper Canteen, and Garden Grill -- although there is way too much food at Garden Grill.

I prefer not to go solo to Biergarten, as it's a gamble whether your tablemates will be welcoming and inclusive towards you, and it could go either way. My most recent trip, I was going to go there with a friend, but she was sick that day, so I had to go alone. I dreaded this, but it turned out fine, as all the other folks at the table were nice to me. The lady next to me even saw me later at the airport on the way back, and said hi! If she is reading this, thanks and it was good to meet you.

Thank you! Rose and Crown is something I’m looking into

Do this - Get a reservation for 7:30 pm (or after) for 2. In fact, always search for 2 because you get better results than 1 and they're going to sit you at a table for 2 regardless. There is no fee for cancelling one party member. At 4 pm, dinner check in begins. Make your way to the check-in booth which is located out front. Request that outside dining. They'll give you some spiel about no guarantee and that you might have to wait blah blah blah. Tell them you're okay with that. I've landed it every single time. Enjoy the show!

My favorite place to dine is wherever my appetite takes me, however some of my favorite restaurants are Boma's, California Grill, Be Our Guest, and Beaches and Cream. There are so many restaurants that I haven't even tried yet but looking forward to.

I've had a great time at Boma. I picked a very early time for dinner, and the staff thoughtfully seated me at a table that was off to the side as opposed to the ones where many tables are squeezed together. The waiter was exceptionally friendly to everyone and made me feel welcome. I saw at least two other solo diners there as well. I guess at any hotel restaurant, I'd expect to see that. I've also eaten at the Boathouse and the bar at Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'. Both great.

For quick service, I like Flame Tree BBQ. The seating area features views of the water in an adventurous setting, so it's great people, bird, and environment watching.

I just did Jiko solo at a table - now - that was at opening time - but I got a seat by the window and my server was great! I didn't order any entree - just a glass of wine, appetizer, small plate, and flatbread - so I still spent a ton of money!

I personally think Sci Fi would be amazing as a solo traveler! Since you're in a car seat and have a constant stream of vintage cartoons playing, it's going to not only be intimate, but you'll be kept busy with all of the things to see!

I personally think Sci Fi would be amazing as a solo traveler!

Sci Fi was NOT amazing. I was a solo traveler, but being solo had absolutely nothing to do with it. The atmosphere was very nice. The food was meh. 50s Prime Time is many times better. If I needed a second HS TS meal, I have heard good things about Mama Melrose's and Brown Derby. I would only return to Sci Fi if I were traveling with someone who REALLY wanted to eat there after being warned about the food AND I had already eaten my 50s Prime Time meal that trip.

Sci Fi was NOT amazing. I was a solo traveler, but being solo had absolutely nothing to do with it. The atmosphere was very nice. The food was meh. 50s Prime Time is many times better. If I needed a second HS TS meal, I have heard good things about Mama Melrose's and Brown Derby. I would only return to Sci Fi if I were traveling with someone who REALLY wanted to eat there after being warned about the food AND I had already eaten my 50s Prime Time meal that trip.

To each their own. While a Sci Fi's food quality may leave some room for improvement, in my opinion it will forever trump 50's Prime Time's poor food and lackluster environment. The last time I dined there, which was within the last few months, the decor was filthy and the dish I ordered was not even close to worth the price paid. Regardless I don't see how bickering between the two of us over which restaurant is worse helps the OP's original question.

I personally think Sci Fi would be amazing as a solo traveler! Since you're in a car seat and have a constant stream of vintage cartoons playing, it's going to not only be intimate, but you'll be kept busy with all of the things to see!

Actually I agree-I found Sci Fi a great place for a solo diner without much solo dining experience. First, it's dark, so no one notices that you're there by yourself. You sit there eating your food while there's a movie screen in front of you. It gave me the feeling of sitting at home on the living room couch, watching TV while I ate by myself. I bet lots of people have done that. Great suggestion!

While a Sci Fi's food quality may leave some room for improvement, in my opinion it will forever trump 50's Prime Time

I apologize if I gave the impression of bickering. That was certainly not my intention. I thought I was just giving my opinion on the two restaurants. I ate at Prime Time in October and in November. Both meals reminded me of the meals my mother and my wife used to cook. I really miss their good country cooking. You and I obviously have very different tastes in food, which is ironic since we have the same last name. I am happy to agree to disagree. Perhaps the OP should try both restaurants and decide for themselves.

If it has a bar those are usually my first choices. That makes me sound like an alcoholic but hear me out. Doing that leaves tables open for families who need the reservation and the added benefit of a friendly bartender to chat with. Granted any inside scoop is as reliable as info gained from a bus driver but hey it’s stoll entertaining to listen to. Most of the time staff will start to remember you after a few trips. Starts to become like meeting up with old friends after a while.

It's up and down. I've always felt Biergarten and Teppan Edo were good choices; because, you dine as a group. I've had it in both places where that can be really a good choice and a bad choice. I still will take a chance with both places.

I think the best way is to pick what you like. Go for the fun of the place.

Buffets can be easier; because, you can always eat a little faster and get out if you are not feeling the vibe.

The Crystal Palace is my number one choice for character dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter