Favorite Things on the Fantasy

Goofy's sports simulator is fun, mini-golf, movies, characters, sunning, ice cream, gym, nap, more ice cream, ...that.
The goofy sports simulator is all sold out so we probably won't get to do that. We booked a last minute Florida rate in August so we may not get to do some of the things. A lot of excursions are sold out, too. I don't really mind since it's our first cruise and we'll want time to relax anyway

Hi! Dh and I are going on our first cruise ever in November and we are very excited. We are doing a 7 night to the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy. Since we have 3 days at sea I'm wondering what everyone's favorite things to do on the ship are? We won't have kids with us, but are still interested in some character meets here and there if they're unique.

I think we'll do dinner at Palo's one of the nights (not sure which one), maybe towards later in the cruise. I'd like to watch a movie if there's one worth watching. Do they offer popcorn and stuff?

Tell me YOUR favorite things to do on the ship or your family traditions!

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the refillable popcorn buckets are a great deal if you are big popcorn fans.

I do think we'll want Wifi on the ship and I know we have to pay for that. Has anyone done this? What's the best option?
First, sign up for the free 50 MB of wifi that’s available on the first day of the cruise. Some folks report that they can make that last the entire cruise for checking email and such. We consume much more data than that, so we go for the 1000 MB package at $89. There are a couple of smaller package options available at lower cost, but DW like to do a daily FB/Instagram post with pictures she takes (and she’s an excellent photographer with a good number of followers), so we need the larger package. In any case, get the 50 MB and see how long it lasts. You don’t need to commit to a paid data plan until you’ve exhausted that, and it’s easy to buy more data when you need to since it gets charged to the room account.

First, sign up for the free 50 MB of wifi that’s available on the first day of the cruise. Some folks report that they can make that last the entire cruise for checking email and such. We consume much more data than that, so we go for the 1000 MB package at $89. There are a couple of smaller package options available at lower cost, but DW like to do a daily FB/Instagram post with pictures she takes (and she’s an excellent photographer with a good number of followers), so we need the larger package. In any case, get the 50 MB and see how long it lasts. You don’t need to commit to a paid data plan until you’ve exhausted that, and it’s easy to buy more data when you need to since it gets charged to the room account.
Thanks! When you're on the ship, who do you contact to get more data if we need to do that?

Yeah they are all gone, but like you said, I think I'll try on the first day on the ship. Am I right that they give you a time to line up on the Navigator? I think we'll line up 20-25 minutes early.

Sorry to hear all the Palo booking are gone. My wife and I have done several cruises with less than 90 days till the ship sails in the past where all the bookings are full. We get on the ship as early as we can and stand in line to check for any Palo brunch reservations. So far we have been lucky and have gotten them. Hopefully you will get lucky and get a reservation. If not check during your cruise to see if anything opened up due to a cancellation. A friend did this and she got lucky.

Thanks! When you're on the ship, who do you contact to get more data if we need to do that?
You can purchase more data right from the web site that loads when you first connect. There is no need to contact anyone to do this.

If you do find you need assistance, there is an internet help desk by the Promenade Lounge. That’s also the place to go to have your phone or tablet checked to make certain you are not eating your data due to background app refreshes that run automatically when you connect to the wifi (I speak from experience). I think we’ve got the drill down to prevent this now, but if in doubt, have the expert assist to make sure. There might be a short queue, since that’s a pretty common occurrence.

You can purchase more data right from the web site that loads when you first connect. There is no need to contact anyone to do this.

If you do find you need assistance, there is an internet help desk by the Promenade Lounge. That’s also the place to go to have your phone or tablet checked to make certain you are not eating your data due to background app refreshes that run automatically when you connect to the wifi (I speak from experience). I think we’ve got the drill down to prevent this now, but if in doubt, have the expert assist to make sure. There might be a short queue, since that’s a pretty common occurrence.

Great advice.
Several years ago my wife had used an older computer and was able to check emails for the whole week on the basic 50 Mb. Two years ago we went with a new computer, she thought she had turned everything off and purchased the basic package, we are only checking emails. Later that day she turned on her computer and it burned through the package in couple minutes. She went to the internet desk, the technician helped her and gave her all her Mb back. She still burned through the Mb quick but not as quick as the first time. Since then she has done research on what to shut down and how to do it. It is several pages long but it worked. On the next cruise we had more than enough Mb in the basic package to do what she wanted.

We hVe been on over 20 Disney cruises. With an adult daughter with Down syndrome and her best friend. They spend all day enjoying the pools, characters and movies on their own.

I love cocktail tastings, trivia, some movies, sitting in the adult only cove at the pool or in cool days sitting in the coffee shop reading.

We love Palo for dinner. The antipasto is fabulous. I usually get an appetizer and a small portion of the shrimp spicy gpasta for dinner although last cruise I had the lamb chops which were incredible and my husband had the Dover sole which was also wonderful. Must do the soufflé for dessert. The bar between remy and Palo is a great place for a predinner drink. But we always do late dinner which I highly recommend

The adult area is great fun and there is a late adult show. The match your mate show is always a highlight.

We have seen all the shows. My husband still loves them and goes with our daughter and her friend. I cherish the time they are out of the room, take my time getting ready and usually go somewhere for a drink before meeting them after the show. Then we either go to a family show or the girls do their thing and we go to the piano bar before dinner.

There are a couple character events you can sign up for, the princess meet and greet or the Frozen one or both. Most ships have s character breakfast offered. If you are too late to get a reservation before the cruise go to the guest services when you get on.
We have been to all the ports and rarely get off. You can do the slide multiple times when everyone is off.

If you’re doing castaway cay be sure to try the slides there. Great fun. But you need to swim. My husband loves the snorkeling

For lunch I usually do the grill or get a salad. For breakfast I get a latte in the Cove and then go work out.

@Haley R I know you are so excited for your first cruise. My first words of advice are.... Don't sweat it - and don't try to do it all - just have FUN! There is so much to do and so much to see. The first time DH and I were on the Fantasy (previous cruises were on the Magic) we spent hours just exploring the ship. We were still finding things on day 5 of the 7 day cruise. I didn't notice anyone mention that you can look at past cruise navigators online, and they will give you an idea of some of the things that might be available on your cruise. They can be found on the Disney Cruiseline Blog - here... Personal Navigators just choose the tab for the Fantasy and start exploring.

Be sure you make a notation on your reservation with the cruise line that you will be celebrating your birthday. And go to guest services and ask them for a Birthday (I'm Celebrating) button to wear.

If you like coffee - treat yourself to a coffee or 2 (or more) at the Cove Cafe on Deck 11 or Vista Cafe on Deck 4. You get a coffee card they stamp for each coffee drink, and you can get a free drink (I think it is your 7th is free). :coffee:

If you or DH are beer drinkers you can purchase the beer mug. After you buy it (it comes empty) you can get it filled with 20oz of tap beer for the price of 16oz. When you are done - you turn in the mug and take a token card to carry around. The last night of the cruise, turn in your token for a fresh clean mug you can take home. 🍻🍺

Do you like jog/walk for exercise, or do 5K races? They have a free 5K on Castaway Cay. You can find out about it at Guest Services. It is informal, but you do get a medal when you finish. When I am on the ship I LOVE to get up and exercise (not when I am home)... I walk the walking path on deck 4 - it is so nice to have the ocean passing by with the breeze - it relaxes me and is so refreshing.

My favorite thing is to turn off my cell phone and disconnect from the "real world" for a week. I feel like a weight is lifted off my shoulders, and I can just do whatever I please. And we also enjoy getting to know the crew. DH and I have been on the Fantasy 5 times over the last 3 years and we actually spend a lot of time chatting with Cast Members who we met on past cruises. Last cruise we saw all of our servers with the exception of 1 from our past 7 cruises. It was like catching up with old friends.

Fun different things to do... visit Deck 5 walk past the Oceanears club and search for the "little door" You'll know it when you see it. From midship head aft past the club... you can't miss it.
If you find yourself with some extra free time (LOL)... there is the Midship Detective agency game (deck 2 by Enchanted Garden I believe is where it starts) Last cruise we were with friend and we started but go side tracked after our first clue and never went back to finish. I am going to try again next trip. If you are not sure just look for kids walking around with cards staring at pictures on the walls and ask them. They will tell you what to do.

You are going to have an AWESOME time! Please be sure to come back to this post when you get home and let us know what you did, and what YOU LIKED BEST. Have a spectacular time and enjoy your birthday. 🎂

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the refillable popcorn buckets are a great deal if you are big popcorn fans.

The Refillable buckets are great! You get a souvenir bucket and then cheaper popcorn for the refills. Of course, my kids liked the popcorn so much that we had to get two refillable buckets!

@Haley R I know you are so excited for your first cruise. My first words of advice are.... Don't sweat it - and don't try to do it all - just have FUN! There is so much to do and so much to see. The first time DH and I were on the Fantasy (previous cruises were on the Magic) we spent hours just exploring the ship. We were still finding things on day 5 of the 7 day cruise. I didn't notice anyone mention that you can look at past cruise navigators online, and they will give you an idea of some of the things that might be available on your cruise. They can be found on the Disney Cruiseline Blog - here... Personal Navigators just choose the tab for the Fantasy and start exploring.

Be sure you make a notation on your reservation with the cruise line that you will be celebrating your birthday. And go to guest services and ask them for a Birthday (I'm Celebrating) button to wear.

If you like coffee - treat yourself to a coffee or 2 (or more) at the Cove Cafe on Deck 11 or Vista Cafe on Deck 4. You get a coffee card they stamp for each coffee drink, and you can get a free drink (I think it is your 7th is free). :coffee:

If you or DH are beer drinkers you can purchase the beer mug. After you buy it (it comes empty) you can get it filled with 20oz of tap beer for the price of 16oz. When you are done - you turn in the mug and take a token card to carry around. The last night of the cruise, turn in your token for a fresh clean mug you can take home. 🍻🍺

Do you like jog/walk for exercise, or do 5K races? They have a free 5K on Castaway Cay. You can find out about it at Guest Services. It is informal, but you do get a medal when you finish. When I am on the ship I LOVE to get up and exercise (not when I am home)... I walk the walking path on deck 4 - it is so nice to have the ocean passing by with the breeze - it relaxes me and is so refreshing.

My favorite thing is to turn off my cell phone and disconnect from the "real world" for a week. I feel like a weight is lifted off my shoulders, and I can just do whatever I please. And we also enjoy getting to know the crew. DH and I have been on the Fantasy 5 times over the last 3 years and we actually spend a lot of time chatting with Cast Members who we met on past cruises. Last cruise we saw all of our servers with the exception of 1 from our past 7 cruises. It was like catching up with old friends.

Fun different things to do... visit Deck 5 walk past the Oceanears club and search for the "little door" You'll know it when you see it. From midship head aft past the club... you can't miss it.
If you find yourself with some extra free time (LOL)... there is the Midship Detective agency game (deck 2 by Enchanted Garden I believe is where it starts) Last cruise we were with friend and we started but go side tracked after our first clue and never went back to finish. I am going to try again next trip. If you are not sure just look for kids walking around with cards staring at pictures on the walls and ask them. They will tell you what to do.

You are going to have an AWESOME time! Please be sure to come back to this post when you get home and let us know what you did, and what YOU LIKED BEST. Have a spectacular time and enjoy your birthday. 🎂
Thanks for the website that has previous navigators. I'm looking at a similar itinerary from June and I find it strange that the 3-D movies are only shown on the days at port. So most likely we wouldn't be there to watch them.

I did put my birthday on the reservation. We're celebrating something else that isn't an option in the list. Should I just email them and ask them to put it on there?

I'm very excited to try the 5k! I think we'll sign up that first day. I might have to walk some of it (bad knees), but I know Dh will want to do it. I'm sure we'll use the workout facility, too. Is the laundry onboard free or do they charge for that? I'm guessing they charge.

The Refillable buckets are great! You get a souvenir bucket and then cheaper popcorn for the refills. Of course, my kids liked the popcorn so much that we had to get two refillable buckets!
We have a refillable bucket from WDW so I'm sure we'll get one on the ship!

We always enjoy the Anyone Can Cook demos on the sea days. A chef demonstrates how to cook a dish. At the end you get to taste it and also a small glass of wine. Some items we've seen them do are mushroom risotto(the best item I have ever had, and I don't like mushrooms), lobster ravioli, seabass, and apple strudel. There's no extra cost and you don't have to book this, just show up for it.

Is the laundry onboard free or do they charge for that? I'm guessing they charge.
The self serve laundry does have a charge. I believe it's $2.00 to wash and $2.00 to dry (per load). You use your KTTW card and it's added to your onboard account.

If you're asking about sending out laundry, there is that service also (dry cleaning, also). Here's a recent price list for that:

Thanks for giving me your take on dinner vs. brunch! I looked and neither are available for our entire cruise. I'm going to keep looking every day, but I might try to go get in line on embarkation day. It seems like some people have had luck doing that. I do think Dh will LOVE the sushi at the brunch. He loves sushi, but I don't eat it so he rarely gets to eat it. I don't really enjoy dressing up, but if it's for one meal I wouldn't mind. I'm surprised you said the brunch is less casual. I would expect the opposite.

We absolutely love going to the movies. Since we don't have kids we go all the time. Even if it's a movie we've already seen, I think we'll watch at least one on the cruise. I can't believe people didn't watch any of the evening shows! I've heard they're fantastic. I definitely want to watch the shows. Will we see new ones every night of our 7 night cruise or will some repeat?
Sorry on my confusing wording. I meant to say the brunch was more casual, dinner was more formal (a little bit). If you prefer not to get dressed up, brunch is the better option! (I was trying to say it's nice for us to do it on the rare occasions we get that dinner to ourselves).

Definitely keep checking online for Palo options every few days. On our last cruise (which was a 7 day with 3 sea days, so more opportunities to eat there), I saw Palo reservations pop up several times leading up to the cruise (I did NOT see the golf/sports simulator slots open up though!). Usually it was "extreme" times (e.g. earliest brunch or latest dinner) that opened up - I almost wondered if they were intentionally opening one or two every few days. Plus, there's the onboard booking, which I hear usually lets you get something.

You won't see the same shows twice - they have something different each evening. Sometimes, the evening show will be a movie (if one of their top ones is being released during your cruise). Yes, for us it's a highlight, but I've seen plenty to tell me that different folks have different interests - fortunately there's usually plenty to entertain everyone!

Thanks for the website that has previous navigators. I'm looking at a similar itinerary from June and I find it strange that the 3-D movies are only shown on the days at port. So most likely we wouldn't be there to watch them.

I did put my birthday on the reservation. We're celebrating something else that isn't an option in the list. Should I just email them and ask them to put it on there?

I'm very excited to try the 5k! I think we'll sign up that first day. I might have to walk some of it (bad knees), but I know Dh will want to do it. I'm sure we'll use the workout facility, too. Is the laundry onboard free or do they charge for that? I'm guessing they charge.

DH and I usually end up celebrating multiple things. You can call DCL and they will make the notation for you. When we go it is usually to celebrate our anniversary and both our birthdays. Because his birthday is the day after we get off the ship I only added that to our reservation this trip. Next years trip will be for our 30th, and DH's 55th. BIG celebration trip.

And for the 5K you can walk it, lots of people do.

We always enjoy the Anyone Can Cook demos on the sea days. A chef demonstrates how to cook a dish. At the end you get to taste it and also a small glass of wine. Some items we've seen them do are mushroom risotto(the best item I have ever had, and I don't like mushrooms), lobster ravioli, seabass, and apple strudel. There's no extra cost and you don't have to book this, just show up for it.
DH mentioned if there was a cooking class he’d like to do it so I think we’ll look out for it on the navigator!

Sorry on my confusing wording. I meant to say the brunch was more casual, dinner was more formal (a little bit). If you prefer not to get dressed up, brunch is the better option! (I was trying to say it's nice for us to do it on the rare occasions we get that dinner to ourselves).

Definitely keep checking online for Palo options every few days. On our last cruise (which was a 7 day with 3 sea days, so more opportunities to eat there), I saw Palo reservations pop up several times leading up to the cruise (I did NOT see the golf/sports simulator slots open up though!). Usually it was "extreme" times (e.g. earliest brunch or latest dinner) that opened up - I almost wondered if they were intentionally opening one or two every few days. Plus, there's the onboard booking, which I hear usually lets you get something.

You won't see the same shows twice - they have something different each evening. Sometimes, the evening show will be a movie (if one of their top ones is being released during your cruise). Yes, for us it's a highlight, but I've seen plenty to tell me that different folks have different interests - fortunately there's usually plenty to entertain everyone!
I wish there was a new movie coming out for our cruise but there isn’t. We’re going about three weeks before frozen comes out

There will be 1 formal night on a 7 nighter which will also be captain's welcome reception (usually 1st day @ sea). it's nice to watch everyone dress up & head to the lobby atrium where there will be some character M&Gs & photo ops (long lines for professional photos) but IMO the best part of this welcome reception is the free booze (white wine, beer & a mocktail)
attending trivia passes time, movies in theaters & in your stateroom, silent DJ is interesting (get there early for your headphones!), and that game show (for adults) of 'how well you know your partner' (forgot what they call it, kinda like newlywed game thing)..let's just say you end up knowing way more than you want to know of your fellow passengers (wonder if some of these couples are faking it b/c i've heard some horrid things before)
definitely don't forget the free snacks at the tiny cafe/coffee bar near the future cruise booking area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter