fear of flying

d-girl

Earning My Ears
I am scared of flying and I was wondering if anyone has any helpful hints. The past few times we flew I got some medication from my doctor and I also tried to act brave so my children wouldn't be scared. But this time it is just my husband and myself and we have never flown anywhere by ourselves before and I am getting nervous. We leave in 4 days! HELP!!

and we live in Maine......Could not even imagine driving there......so if I wanted Disney......it was going to be by air....YIKES........If you haven't already called your physician.........then do it.......I never got a medication to help me.....so the first six years were horrible.......know that you are not alone..........there are so many of us that are terrified to fly but can only go somewheres if we do it. I bought some hand held games.......like Yathzee........I always sit on th aisle seat.........that way I concentrate on what is going on down the aisle........the hostesses that are bringing the cold drinks......and snacks........I look and imagine what these people are doing........strike up a conversation with the little kids that sit near me..........I love to watch young parents with their kids........hope you can relax and enjoy your trip.........but go ahead and call the doctors office.......if they can help you.......take the medication........good luck and don't forget to do a trip report when you return home

*Record some of your favorite music on a cassette and put your head phones and play that music loud while you are taking off. Once I am in the air I usually relax because physically I feel better, no more popping of ears. Taking off and landing are the worst times for me. *Also find a really good book to read, (maybe the Unoffical Guide to WDW), something that will engross your mind.
*Sit in an aisle seat, it is less claustrophobic & easier to get to the rest room.
* Getting up periodically and going to the ladies room gives you something to focus on rather than your fear. *Also keep reminding yourself that there is really nothing to be afraid of, that the fear is only in your mind.
* Realize that many of the brave looking people on the plane with you are just as nervous as you and try to make a joke of your fear and not take it too seriously. *Tell your husband to keep up the conversation to distract you.
*Keep your eyes on the prize i.e. focus on the end result, that once you get off the plane you will be at WDW !
*Sit next to a stranger, you are less likely to be nervous in front of one. One flight I sat next to a nice man who told me all about how he was coming back from visiting his dying sister (cancer) it made me realize that my fear of flying was inconsequential in comparison to other peoples load and it made me actually happy to be on a plane with loved ones going on a vacation.
* As a last result Valium taken 1 hr before boarding also works or a couple of drinks. Sometimes just having medication with you and knowing that you can take it at anytime you need it is just as good as actually taking it.
* Get angry at your fear, face it like the enemy it is and don't let it stop you from enjoying your life.
* Good luck, I will be flying again in August and I hope you wish me luck too !

d-girl, zum62 has some very good tips; hope I can add some more. After many years of being TERRIFIED when flying, I am so happy to say I'v conquered this fear, and you can do it to! I started by reading the book "Fear of Flying" (can't remember the author, but he was an airline pilot and I think the first to start these "fear" programs). You may not have time to read the book, but it's important to understand which parts scare you the most, and to help your "intelligent" brain to become convinced that flying is safe. There is also an acoompanying audio tape which you could do quickly and it really helps, because you hear the sounds of a flight and it helps reassure you and desensitize you. One of his tips is to wiggle your toes on take-off; it takes a lot of concentration to wiggle them for 5 or so minutes, and it distracts you from what the plane is doing. Start giving yourself POSITIVE messages, instead of negative messages. For example I went around telling anyone who would listen that I was terrified of flying, hated flying, etc.--you're mind believes what you tell it! So, I started saying I can't wait to take that flight next week; or I really love to fly; and believe it or not, this REALLY makes a difference. Breathing techniques, like for natural childbirth(deep breathing)will also help. Alcohol will probably not help--most fearful men use this approach, and from what I've read the adrenalin racing through your body actually blocks the effects until you land! However, medication is a good idea; valium is a pretty strong drug, may knock you out, and leave you groggy. See if you can get your doctor to prescribe Zanax; it's fast acting, and leaves your system pretty quickly. It is specifically for anxiety and phobias. Many doctors don't like to prescribe it because it's a controlled substance that is "addictive" so it has a negative connotation, but I have taken it for several years, with no negative impact on my life. It will probably make you sleepy, since you're not used to it, but that will also help you relax. I usually take it within 1/2 hour of my flight taking off. If there is any more information I can give you, feel free to e-mail me; I am so sympathetic to this situation, as for years I suffered and no one could help, and many were just down-right annoyed by it! Good luck! Would love to hear how you do.;)

Thanks so much for all your replies. I have decided to bring my headphones along to listen to some music and some good magazines. I am trying to be positive and not think about it too much and my doctor is giving me something to help. Just pray for us we leave in 2 days!!

those are all great tips! You are not alone. If I didn't live in Florida I would never make it to Disney. Thank goodness my sister moved back from Texas. We drove out there a few years ago. Other than that I haven't been out of the state for about 15 years. I'm not kidding. Relax and think about your trip. Maybe bring along some disney travel books to look at.

Love the ideas about headphones and reading material.
Could you get totally absorbed by planning your daily itenerary for WDW? You don't have to use it, but maybe doing some outlines of stuff you want to see and which days may be optimal could distract you. Also tell yourself how much more time you have at WDW because you are flying and how you are going to make the most of that time. Or turn it around and say how much stuff would you miss if you spent the same amount of time on vacation , but drove instead. I'd be in love with air travel when that equation worked out. Even for savvy travellers, air travel is fairly uncomfortable, but not terrifying. If I ever freak out, I just look around me and see all the people that I figure
are cooler/smarter than me and don't mind the plane. Most folks are rather blase about the whole thing(oh yawn..a little turbulence again). Also you know that statistically air is still the safest form of travel.

Xanax is a lifesaver for DH and I. Neither one of us really enjoy flying - he is alot worse than me though. Having the prescription really helps though. Just enough to take the edge off. Hope you have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter