Fear of heights

J

jessarah

This is our first cruise. DH is afraid of heights. I want a veranda. He thinks it's too far up and open. He is afraid he may fall over. I know, he is not rational :o but can anyone provide any reassurance? Or is a veranda not for the fainthearted? Thanks

My DW felt the same about heights. We didn't have a veranda, but when we were on the open decks she had no problem standing by the railing.

I also have a fear of heights. We had a veranda on the 8ht deck and it wan't a problem. It's not extremly high and the rail on the deck is pretty high so it is a secure feeling being out there.

Thanks for your insights. Just curious, if someone was to fall over the railing, where would they fall (other than down ). We are considering a cat 6 room-if that matters.

I don't think it would really be possible to "fall" (unless you were doing something extremely stupid), but to answer your question, if you decided to "leave the ship voluntarily via the verandah" you would most likely land in the water without hitting any other obsticles on the way down since the sides of the ship are straight except for the at the very front or the very back.

If you were to fall over the railing from a cat 6 verandah, you would almost certainly be wet. However, I can't see someone getting over one of these railings by accident. I'd think that you would have to aid in the process by doing something foolish. The railings are pretty high.

I am extremely afraid of heights (the ferris wheel at California Adventure literally almost made me cry!) We had a verandah on our first cruise and have booked another for our second. As the other posters stated, you would have to be trying to "fall" or be doing something extraordinarily stupid to end up over the side. The Navigator's verandah is a good idea if he just is not comfortable with the idea of a regular one.:)

I'd go with a Category 9 outside room on Deck 2. Sounds like a good compromise. You get a huge (3 feet in diameter) porthole window. And DH gets the security of knowing there's no way to fall overboard from that room.

The verandahs really make you feel enclosed, even the ones that are not the Navigators Verandah. Choose one on the lowest deck possible, Deck 6, and you'll be fine.

And if your husband is really bothered he does not need to go out on the verandah, you can! There is no need for you to not be able to enjoy the open air and sea. I really don't think he will have any problems at all. The biggest sensation of height is on Deck 10 above the railing, and he can just avoid that.

Enjoy! :)

I have always been afraid of heights. I can't swim. But for some reason, it doesn't bother me on the ship. I always get a room with a verandah. Love to be able to look down at the waves and out over the ocean.

Enjoy it.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Dave, do you mean a different deck than 9. I thought there were no staterooms on deck 9.

MJ:confused:

I'm sure Dave's post was just a typo. The category 9's are on decks 2 and 1, category 8's are on decks 5, 6, and 7. All have the big porthole.

Originally posted by mmouse37

Dave, do you mean a different deck than 9. I thought there were no staterooms on deck 9.

Originally posted by Señor Ferrari

I'm sure Dave's post was just a typo. The category 9's are on decks 2 and 1, category 8's are on decks 5, 6, and 7. All have the big porthole.

Yep. I meant Deck 2. I don't recommend Deck 1 because those rooms have two very small windows (1 foot in diameter) rather than the single huge window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter