February at the Fort

Terri,

You need to put that turtle picture in our animal sightings thread. Poor guy had a ways to go (for him) maybe back to the canal behind 600?

Yeah, living close enough to the Fort to do a weekend trip must be nice.

Bama Ed

EDIT: derp, I shoulda checked the thread first. Terri already put it on there. Shame on me...:crazy2:

Last edited:
Hey all,
Well, I'm back in the ATL...rained from the GA/FL line all the way to my house! I'm now going to live vicariously thru the rest of you down at the Fort.
Really enjoy being able to share my passion for the Fort and Disney (notice which one I mention first :)) with folks who truly understand!
DSCN1809.JPG

IMG_20180207_133255044_HDR~2.jpg
To summarise DDs had a wonderful time at The Fort. We spent 90 percent of our time at the campground. We had several nice warm pool days. Took boat rides to Wilderness Lodge and The Contemporary and DH just caught up with his daughters while relaxing at our site. I believe DDs have a better understanding why we come back here every year. Off to the airport tomorrow morning so DDs can catch their flight back to WV. We leave Tuesday morning:':-(

Maureen, we love your sentiments about the Fort and Disney. We have four adult children, three of which also have the Disney Magic, and one adult son who doesn’t get it. I checked to make sure he was not switched at Birth, and also know it was not the milkman!!. So, we love him too. Your pictures are beautiful. Enjoy your last days at the Fort. Safe travels to you on you travelsback home.

Just a few notes for those heading to the Fort soon.
If you have allergies to pollen, make sure to bring your meds, it is bad right now, especially oak and pine.
If you are heading to AK, the baby tigers go inside around 3pm, we missed them :sad1:.
If you like to see the deer, there is a big 10 point buck that walks the far side of the canal behind the 1800 loop. We saw him both days around 7:30am.
We have all seen the turkeys around the sites, but to see them fly from their nightly roost is a treat. Again, the action is at the canal behind the 1800 loop. You have to get out there early, around day break, but they fly from across the canal to the Fort side. The are not the most graceful flyers (more like flying basketballs, lol) but it is a neat site to see.

My DW Lucille just sent me a post from WDWNT.com concerning FREE tours in AK starting today. There is a sign up process at Rafiki's planet watch . The article does state the tour will be of 2 back stage areas Vet. clinic, Nutrition center, Science center, Invertebrate Center and last approx. 30 min It does not say how many will be in a group or how long this offer will last but if you are there now or will be soon might be worth looking into

Just a quick note that we made it home safe and sound last night at 11 pm. We left FW at 7:45am on Sunday, and spent the night in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Were able to stop and visit with our oldest daughter and son on the way home for a snack.
We enjoyed our extended stay at FW and hope to do the same again next January/ February. Once again we have booked a Full site, 1700 loop was very quiet and a good walking distance for both the Outpost and Settlement.
I will continue to read the trip reports and live vicariously through them.

Glad to hear you and DH made it all the home, Boomer1. It was nice to see you both again (yea DisMeets!) at the very beginning of your stay.

I will contribute to the trip report thread for next month, you can count on that.

ED

Last edited:
Finally, after months of looking every couple hours, our last night (3/2) came open for a tent site. I have now successfully pieced together my entire week!!! Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Now I just have to call and see if they will combine it all into 1 ressie to keep me from having to move sites

I guess everyone at the Fort is out having too good of a time. This thread kind of died this week.

Well, bjschil and I arrive next Saturday. I won't be staying at the Fort, but I do have some highlights planned. Since no one else is putting much on here, I thought I'd toss out what we have planned.

Saturday, we fly into TPA (Tampa) around 3:30. Despite spending many weeks in my 20s and 30s in St Pete at my parent's condos, we never flew down. I plan on getting to "the bubble" by 5:30 or so. After dropping our stuff at ASSp and returning the car at the Car Care Center by the TTC, we'll head to MK for our traditional 1st night, watching the fireworks show. I loved Wishes and wasn't crazy about Happily Ever After at first. I've been watching it on YouTube and it grows on you. I love the theme song, but could do without the 10 minutes in the middle of Disney IP marketing.

Sunday will be the first big highlight. After a day in MK, we'll take the boat over to the Fort to meet up with Bjschil (Barb and family). I always enjoy meeting other DISers. I can also get my Fort Fix and wander around the Settlement and take in everything. We have the week mostly planned out. At least we have FP+s booked everyday. We picked up FOP FP+ on 2 separate days. The ride is incredible if you haven't been on yet. Tuesday night we have an ADR at Yachtsman Steakhouse. We have never ventured out to any of the non-monorail resorts except WL (easy boat from FW). This trip we wanted to check out the Boardwalk area and more of WDW.

Saturday, March 3rd, we are going to a Cardinals baseball Spring training game at ESPN Wide World of Sports. Cardinals "home" field is in Jupiter, but they happen to be playing ATL that Saturday. We've always wanted to go to Spring training. This won't be like spending a week in Jupiter, but it's still Cardinals baseball.

I know there are several more coming down in the next week or 2. What does everyone have planned?

j

Last edited:
Jim,

I've met bjschil (Barb) and her DH Bill. They are nice people - you will enjoy your time with them.

Good luck on seeing your Cards play the Braves. A couple years ago during a March/spring break trip to WDW I tried to see three spring training games and got rained out of all three. The Braves there at Disney made it 2-3 innings before the rain came. The Tigers made it about 6 innings and the Astros (their last year in Kissimmee) never got the tarp off the field to start because the rain was constant. But I bought a ticket to all three, sat in my seat, and downed a hot dog/pretzel/beer/turkey leg for the memory. I hope you have a beautiful day and get to see a full nine innings.

I did make it to my Cleveland Indians spring training back when they played in Lakeland I think it was, many years ago, for one game. But now they've been in Arizona for several years. My kids still remember the beer vendor walking up and down the aisles saying funny things to get us adults to buy.

Hope you catch a foul ball. My dad and I went to the first Bama baseball home game of the season yesterday and he got a foul ball on one hop behind the first base dugout (but he spilled a little bit of his popcorn - hey, first game jitters).

I'll be following ya'll. popcorn::

Bama Ed

Hope you catch a foul ball. My dad and I went to the first Bama baseball home game of the season
We have tickets behind the 3rd base dugout (visitors side). Hopefully we'll get something. We were at a cardinal game last year, sitting in the bleachers, when Yadi hit a home run. Ian was on the isle and the ball was coming right towards him. The closer it got the more he ducked. I was the 3rd seat in with Donna between us. I almost knocked Donna and Ian down trying to get to it. The ball hit on the concrete step right next to Ian and bounced about 20 ft in the air. I was glad none of us did get in front of it.

he got a foul ball on one hop (but he spilled a little bit of his popcorn - hey, first game jitters).
:D

j

I guess everyone at the Fort is out having too good of a time. This thread kind of died this week.

Well, bjschil and I arrive next Saturday. I won't be staying at the Fort, but I do have some highlights planned. Since no one else is putting much on here, I thought I'd toss out what we have planned.

Saturday, we fly into TPA (Tampa) around 3:30. Despite spending many weeks in my 20s and 30s in St Pete at my parent's condos, we never flew down. I plan on getting to "the bubble" by 5:30 or so. After dropping our stuff at ASSp and returning the car at the Car Care Center by the TTC, we'll head to MK for our traditional 1st night, watching the fireworks show. I loved Wishes and wasn't crazy about Happily Ever After at first. I've been watching it on YouTube and it grows on you. I love the theme song, but could do without the 10 minutes in the middle of Disney IP marketing.

Sunday will be the first big highlight. After a day in MK, we'll take to boat over to the Fort to meet up with Bjschil (Barb and family). I always enjoy meeting other DISers. I can also get my Fort Fix and wander around the Settlement and take in everything. We have the we mostly planned out. At least we have FP+s booked everyday. We picked up FOP FP+ on 2 separate days. The ride is incredible if you haven't been on yet. Tuesday night we have an ADR at Yachtsman Steakhouse. We have never ventured out to any of the non-monorail resorts except WL (easy boat from FW). This trip we wanted to check out the Boardwalk area and more of WDW.

Saturday, March 3rd, we are going to a Cardinals baseball Spring training game at ESPN Wide World of Sports. Cardinals "home" field is in Jupiter, but they happen to be playing ATL that Saturday. We've always wanted to go to Spring training. This won't be like spending a week in Jupiter, but it's still Cardinals baseball.

I know there are several more coming down in the next week or 2. What does everyone have planned?

j

Sunday will be the first big highlight. After a day in MK, we'll take the boat over to the Fort to meet up with Bjschil (Barb and family). I always enjoy meeting other DISers. I can also get my Fort Fix and wander around the Settlement and take in everything. We have the week mostly planned out. At least we have FP+s booked everyday. We picked up FOP FP+ on 2 separate days. The ride is incredible if you haven't been on yet. Tuesday night we have an ADR at Yachtsman Steakhouse. We have never ventured out to any of the non-monorail resorts except WL (easy boat from FW). This trip we wanted to check out the Boardwalk area and more of WDW.

j
Jim, I am also guilty. We leave Thursday from home, and depending on time Jody is done with work in Madison, depends on departure time. If she works until 4, we will pick up the kids from school and leave around 1:00 and spend just five hours on the road. They will not join until later evening. Friday is our longer travel day and because we do not know exactly where we spend Thursday night if we make it as far as Paducah, then we will hit south of Atlanta Friday. Otherwise will drive through Alabama. We look forward to meeting Jim, as well as others we have met through previous trips, some old-some new. We have 7 day passes and DAH tickets on March 1. Looking forward to FOP and have fast passes. The cows are loaded, the spring/summer clothes loaded last day will be food and refreshments. Expecting snow, freezing rain and crap through Wed. We will see you soon. Ed, I see you also are enjoying several trips to the Fort. I lurk and follow all trip reports. See you soon.

The cows are loaded,

Expecting snow, freezing rain and crap through Wed.
You're bringing the cows? o_O:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao::duck:

We got a bit of snow this morning, but it is above freezing now. It was 80 (record high) on Thursday.

I hope the long term forecast for WDW holds. WESH and Weather Channel agree. Limited rain and low to mid 80s all week. Perfect!

j

we do not know exactly where we spend Thursday night if we make it as far as Paducah, then we will hit south of Atlanta Friday.
If you make it to Paducah, go about another hour on I-24. There is a nice, easy on and off, cg in Clarksville TN. Exit 1, as soon as you cross into TN from KY. Most trips, I like to get on the road after work on Friday night. Clarksville RV Park has been our Friday stop almost every trip. It's about 4 hours from me which usually puts us there between 9:30 and 10:00.

The only problem for a Thursday night stop will be Nashville rush hour Friday morning. Depending on when you get going, you may want to stop south of Nashville.

j

You're bringing the cows? o_O:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao::duck:

We got a bit of snow this morning, but it is above freezing now. It was 80 (record high) on Thursday.

I hope the long term forecast for WDW holds. WESH and Weather Channel agree. Limited rain and low to mid 80s all week. Perfect!

The cows came out of hibernation today and are one step closer to the basement of camper. We have the inflatable cows for the golf carts! See you In 8 days. Yes hot and warm is what we are seeing also.

j
If you make it to Paducah, go about another hour on I-24. There is a nice, easy on and off, cg in Clarksville TN. Exit 1, as soon as you cross into TN from KY. Most trips, I like to get on the road after work on Friday night. Clarksville RV Park has been our Friday stop almost every trip. It's about 4 hours from me which usually puts us there between 9:30 and 10:00.

The only problem for a Thursday night stop will be Nashville rush hour Friday morning. Depending on when you get going, you may want to stop south of Nashville.

j
is this open year round? If the water isn’t turned off we could unwintwrize in the morning delaying the rush through Nashville. Thanks for the tip.

We leave Friday morning at 6 Am!! Weather looks a little rainy from home through the mountains, but hey, no snow!!! We will spend the night in Columbia and get to the Fort on Saturday. First time camping at the fort ( stayed in the cabins 2x before) so hoping everyone loves it even though the older kids are hesitant to tent camp. DD is flying in Sunday morning and we just plan a Fort day in the sun!! ( something we haven't seen in a while) we are going to each park 1x except for AK is 2x because it has always been the kids favorite park. Got our FP+ at 60 days out so we got most everything we wanted and will rope drop the rest. Doing Hoop de do to celebrate our 30th anniversary on Tuesday. We will be in the park for DS GF 18th birthday ( also her first trip to Disney) on our last park day on 3/2. Packed the truck today and there isn't much room for us lol but can't wait to get there!!!!!!

is this open year round?
I'm pretty sure it is. I know we have stayed there in March a couple of times. Their web site doesn't say, but it lists daily hours and lets me try reserving a site for this weekend.

If you tell them you a just doing an over night, they have a couple of rows of pull throughs right in front. water/electric only, but my holding tanks are big enough I don't worry about 1 or 2 days.

j

We leave for the fort this Friday as well. We will stop over in the Fl panhandle Friday night and then head on to the Fort for Saturday check in. We will be there for a week. We have 5 day tickets so we plan to spend some time at the fort and kids hope to be warm enough to swim.
We love the Fort and usually go at least once per year. Now to start packing...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter