Feeling discouraged about rain

We’ve been there when it rains, it was great!

California needs rain and you take that chance when you book this time of year.

What rides close down for rain?

Depending on how much rain but in DL some of the outdoor rides like Dumbo (but it's down for refurb anyway), Astro Orbiters, Canal Boats, maybe Alice, Winnie the Pooh I think.

I went this time last year and have a photo of us riding Dumbo in the rain so I think it has to be coming down pretty hard for rides to close down.

I went to the parks last Monday where the weather forecast was "50% chance of rain." It didn't rain that day until about 7pm and even then, it lasted like 5 minutes.

I take the weather forecast for this area with a HUGE grain of salt even day of. It is extremely difficult to predict weather here in the absence of a giant storm system.

...absence of a giant storm....that is the gem....because here in Yuma we received that rain, as forecast, in particular the east side as the system ran into the range of mountains. the rain last week was supposed to head north but instead settled over the desert for three days, in very random areas of showers. So the observation of DLgal is correct, if the word storm is not in the forcast, then should be no problem with a 10 day forecast.

I can't comment on the accuracy of weather forecasts in Anaheim in general, but the forecast for last week while we were there was wildly off the week before and even days ahead. One week before our trip the forecast was for rain on Friday. The next day the forecast was for rain on Wednesday but not Friday, the day after that no rain at all all week, the day after that rain on Thursday and Friday. So many forecasts and none of them were right!
During our trip it rained once, on Monday.
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were beautiful. Tuesday too.

That said, better to think "rain" and get "sun" than the other way around. The forecasts did get me to bring my umbrella, which came in handy.

I learned so much on the dis. I had no idea weather forecasting was so much more unpredictable on the West Coast that in the East. Our weather forecasters in the Great Lakes region seem to be spot on the majority of the time.

I feel your pain. We are in Disney next week and leaving a snowy wonderland behind. I was hoping to escape the cold and wet for a week of sunshine and shorts weather. We have been there before when it rained the entire week we were there and it is still one of my most memorable trips and walk on rides. But right now, I am really wishing for sunshine as we have gotten almost a foot of snow today.

You'll still have a great time! One of the nights we were there it was sunny and nice then gradually the clouds built up and then the skies opened and it just poured...it then kept raining on and off for the rest of park opening hours and was very cool too - the good news is it was packed in the parks before hand but once the weather set in the crowds cleared (many were unprepared - disney merchandise did great sales in jackets etc). Thunder and Pooh closed (Matterhorn interestingly stayed open). We did Indy (10 min wait), Buzz (walk on), Star Tours (walk on), then we rode Space 4 times in a row with wait times ranging between 15-30 mins. We had light rain jackets on, I wore a thermal top that day (kept warm despite being wet and cool). We both wore quick drying material cargo pants - this is a good choice, jeans would have been quite uncomfortable as it was very wet on the ground even if you used an umbrella legs just got drenched. We also had a spare pair of shoes to wear the next day.

I learned so much on the dis. I had no idea weather forecasting was so much more unpredictable on the West Coast that in the East. Our weather forecasters in the Great Lakes region seem to be spot on the majority of the time.

There's a meteorologist joke that goes something like this:

"What's the weather going to be tomorrow?"
"Call someone who lives west of you and ask them to look out the window."

Weather systems are generally easy to track once they are over land. Since Anaheim is so close to the coast, the weather is very unpredictable because the systems don't generally organize until the very last minute. Plus, about 325 days of the year, the forecast looks like this "Sunny. Highs in the mid 70's, lows in the upper 50's."

Last edited:
I live by the parks and when the forecast show rain, it rarely comes to that, especially two weeks out. Last year it did, and it was amazing! We have had maybe 30 minutes of rain (and not real rain, like a light version to the rest of the world) this year?

If it does rain, the parks are great. It is rare, but last year I remember it was empty and amazing (and a little flooded). That happens like once every 5 years or so.

Our "winter" weather is weird. Cold today (50s). Hot two weeks ago (80s). Hard to tell what two weeks from now will actually bring.

If you are truly concerned, you can buy some rain pants and a rain jacket or a big poncho before you go. You can probably get it on Amazon.

Unless we have a giant storm, a rainy day at Disneyland is often a very good day - better than most. I just don't like that many of the ride seats are wet. But, that's where a poncho or a rain pants will be useful.

Don't cancel! We were there this past week. Up until a few days before our trip, rain was shown on the forecast for almost every day we were planning to spend in the parks. It turned out to be beautiful and sunny all week (with the exception of a little rain on Monday night)!

The crowds are a bit lower with rain, it’s nice! I hate normal on a regular basis but if I’m at DL and it’s not a torrential downpour, I just put on my Dollar Tree poncho (or you can get a pack from Amazon), pack extra socks just in case and enjoy the shorter lines.

Don’t cancel!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter