Feeling guilt about the prospect of going

I still feel this guilt like I would be shamed or judged by family, friends, coworkers for going.

Of course you will. Think about what you are risking -- for a theme park that will be there next year. My social media seems to be full of people OK with that risk for clicks, but obviously that is not the position of most people. Of course you will be judged- HARD.

I couldn't justify the risk to me, my family, and my community, so I canceled. I gave my points to a relative that is a recent survivor of Covid. We are all happy with this solution. Someone gets to enjoy the parks, I would be a nervous mess, and none of us are part of the problem of spreading this disease.

I get it. I practice physical therapy in the school system and had a trip scheduled for this fall. I moved the trip up to the end of July because I knew I couldn't travel unless I was able to self-quarantine upon my return. I would not travel to Florida during the school year knowing that I would need to return to my students within the next two weeks. Can you go sooner?

The %'s don't matter when you have 10-15k positive tests.The + numbers coming out of FLA. are higher than any other state right now.2%-5% all semantics.
Why yes increasing how many people you test will raise the probability that you will have more cases.It still means you have more +'s period.
Of course they do. If you increase testing 10-fold, you can have the same percentage of positives yet 10 times the number of positives.

It’s just unknown at this point how much it’s affecting the numbers here.

The %'s don't matter when you have 10-15k positive tests.The + numbers coming out of FLA. are higher than any other state right now.2%-5% all semantics.
Why yes increasing how many people you test will raise the probability that you will have more cases.It still means you have more +'s period.
There’s also more to it than that. A sparsely populated state without much testing obviously will have lower numbers.

Of course you will. Think about what you are risking -- for a theme park that will be there next year. My social media seems to be full of people OK with that risk for clicks, but obviously that is not the position of most people. Of course you will be judged- HARD.

This is totally correct. I think I've just been trying to justify the DVC portion of it and the "lost" money (points) if I don't go. I could certainly just try to rent out my points and not worry about that as much.

I think this thread is as much an indication as any that a lot of people are in the same boat, hemming and hawing about going, and that a lot of people are being/will be judged for traveling to WDW during the first phases of reopening during the pandemic.

And if, in reading the responses from people, I have been feeling more empathetic with the "You probably shouldn't go" posts than with the "Don't bother with what people think, just go!" posts... that's probably a sign that my mind was already made up when I created the thread.

There’s also more to it than that. A sparsely populated state without much testing obviously will have lower numbers.
Nice try but that's not what's happening in FLA .10-15k a day. 31% of children come up positive . I'm not changing your mind.go enjoy yourself. I won't be there before summer 2021 more likely fall 2021. I also read yesterday was a 15% positive rate on testing.

Nice try but that's not what's happening in FLA .10-15k a day. 31% of children come up positive . I'm not changing your mind.go enjoy yourself. I won't be there before summer 2021 more likely fall 2021. I also read yesterday was a 15% positive rate on testing.
I really don’t know what is happening or what the outcome will be. I’ll just wait and see. I don’t really have a choice seeing as though I live in Florida.
I do have a question though. I’m confused as to why you seem angry with me. Did I inadvertently offend you?

15% is not a good number, that's a certainty. But that figure wasn't reached with people adhering to strict mask wearing, social distancing and sanitation procedures. For many people, Walt Disney World is safer than a visit to their local grocery store or their own daily work conditions.

15% is not a good number, that's a certainty. But that figure wasn't reached with people adhering to strict mask wearing, social distancing and sanitation procedures. For many people, Walt Disney World is safer than a visit to their local grocery store or their own daily work conditions.
Tim-That's true unfortunately too many people are making this political or don't believe in science, whatever it is they refuse to do the things that we know help like you said wearing a mask and social distancing. there are now 40 states who have seen their numbers trend upwards and that's not a good sign.
good luck on whatever your decisions are but I'll probably not be back before summer or fall of 2021.

I really don’t know what is happening or what the outcome will be. I’ll just wait and see. I don’t really have a choice seeing as though I live in Florida.
I do have a question though. I’m confused as to why you seem angry with me. Did I inadvertently offend you?
We raised our kids with the simple rule that sarcasm was funny as long as it's not hurtful, and trust me except for my daughter who just doesn't get sarcasm we all are. I've found some of your replies mean and so for that reason I have found you offensive.

Last edited:
We raised our kids with the simple rule that sarcasm was funny as long as it's not hurtful, and trust me except for my daughter who just doesn't get sarcasm we all are. I've found some of your replies mean and so for that reason I have found you offensive.
Okay, I don’t see where, but thanks for responding.

Regardless, I agree the situation here, or at least in parts of Florida, are not good. My point was we don’t truly know just how bad due to possibly skewed numbers.

The number of cases in Florida are surging. I worry that WDW may close, just like Hong Kong Disney just did, or implement further restrictions. Our school district said earlier this month that face to face on campus traditional school would be opening but parents have the option for remote learning. However, we received a special announcement that schools will not reopen and it will be remote learning only. Many parents have questions about sports, and we've just learned all sports are canceled. I'd suggest watching some videos on YouTube (Dis Unplugged and Disney Food Blog). They give a really good idea of what to expect and what's going on at WDW right now. Though keep in mind, things change daily.

I fully understand this issue. We are trying to balance finding a happy escape from what has otherwise been a pretty bleak year -and- doing what is right.
We had originally moved our July trip to September and are now thinking about just canceling all together. What is going on in FL is no joke and I dont want to bring that home with me. I'm not so much worried for myself but other people in my life that are at a higher risk.

As the poster above me stated, I also feel like the FL parks could close again. The situation in FL is far worse now than when the parks were closed. It doesn't really make much sense why they are reopening now tbh.

School decision here, as of Friday, is that we'll be in a hybrid model this fall, so we will be in the building with students. Made the decision easier to just cancel. We'll see if March is any better - a part of me says that if at some point in the school year we go back to full in-person, that the district says it's safe enough to have all of our students back in the building, then it will be similarly safe to take a trip on Spring Break.

Lockdowns, at best, were only to slow down the rate of infection. They don’t reduce the number required to reach herd immunity and, therefore, only serve to INCREASE the amount of time the virus lingers. The whole point of locking down is to make sure hospitals don’t get overrun by a surge of new cases on any given day, NOT to DECREASE the number of people ultimately infected.

Lockdowns, at best, were only to slow down the rate of infection. They don’t reduce the number required to reach herd immunity and, therefore, only serve to INCREASE the amount of time the virus lingers. The whole point of locking down is to make sure hospitals don’t get overrun by a surge of new cases on any given day, NOT to DECREASE the number of people ultimately infected.
Exactly the way I understood it as well.

The guilt goes away once you get here. Well, except when there's a hurricane coming right at your house back at home. :(

Going with my wife and daughter's family in Early November. I am very high risk, not going to go into again but if interested I have stated issues in several posts. The thing is we are only reaching 1.5% of the WHOLE population of 330 million people having tested positive and approx one third of those have fully recovered. So, I am going to put my life on hold for this??? Hell, as it is I only have a handful of good years left, not going to spend them like chicken little crying the sky is falling. Nope, I will do the smart thing in wearing a mask and keeping social distance and pay close attention to my daughter (a nurse in the front lines of this) advises while at the parks. For those who want to social shame, feel free to stay home and oh by the way, watch out for the sky falling.

Last edited:

This exactly. Here is a great demonstration of it (I love this article)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
Look at the balls about halfway down (there it partitions some on the left side). It gives a great simulation that shows how at the end of the day, everyone still gets infected - it's just that the number of infected AT ANY ONE POINT IN TIME is lower, thus staying safely under the available healthcare resources.

This exactly. Here is a great demonstration of it (I love this article)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
Look at the balls about halfway down (there it partitions some on the left side). It gives a great simulation that shows how at the end of the day, everyone still gets infected - it's just that the number of infected AT ANY ONE POINT IN TIME is lower, thus staying safely under the available healthcare resources.

More younger people are getting it, so the death rate is lower.. way, way LOWER.......and we are headed to HERD IMMUNITY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!