Few lg. suitcases or several small?

heart4dis

Mouseketeer
What do you find easiest to handle when packing for families: a few large suitcases or several small ones?

We have a family of 6 and I usually try to get everyone's things into one very large suitcase (except DH who handles his own packing). I am questioning this approach for the cruise due to storing it. I'm good at packing light (I have to be), but am wondering how to do it when I have to add dress-up clothes, too. I am wondering if I should instead allow each of us a small suitcase of our own...ideas? [Kids & ages at trip time: DD 11, DS 10, DS 8, DS 7]

We have always opted for the few bigger suitcases. I have not had a problem storing them. They have fit under the bed (you have to slightly lift up on the edge of the bed so it will clear the rim.) I think two big ones under the beds is the limit that they will hold.

We are a family of 5 and each use our own medium size suitcase. The kids also usually have a backpack with them as well. WE have never had a problem storing luggage in the cabin.

MJ

I don't know what staterooms you have but when we cruised with our entire family(6) we had two staterooms. What worked best was each person had their own suitcase. We had one large suitcase for formal wear. All stored easily under the beds except for the largest bag which we stored in the closet. Kathy

I love taking 2 large suitcases for our family of 4, but now with the airlines enforcing the weight limits for baggage, I may have to go with more smaller bags. Our huge hardside suitcase weighs 15 lbs empty! AA has always just slapped a "HEAVY" sticker on that bag and put it through in the past...I know it had to weigh over 50 lbs! Just something else to consider when you are deciding on which and how many bags to take!:D

Definitely weigh your bags if you're going to be flying. I flew on United this weekend and if your bag is over 50 lbs, you have to pay $25 extra. We were forced to move stuff around between the suitcases in the middle of the ticketing line. How embarrassing!?!?!?!? I would go with several smaller suitcases. Your kids seem to be old enough to help carry them.

American is the same, over 50 lbs. you will be charged $25. Here is the reason according to the airlines, fuel consumption (at least that is what I read on the airlines site back in Dec. '02) . If they restrict the large bags or charge a fee people will reduce the use of large bags. Well, they still allow 2 checked bags per person. The last time we flew instead of the large bag and one medium bag we took 3 medium bags. We took the same amount of items and we took 3 bags instead of 2. So where is the savings in weight? Now if they want to say they are looking out for their workers who have to lift these bags so they trying to reduce the heavy bags, that makes sense. Our medium bags are 27" expandables instead of 30". In the end we had more room in 3 than the 2. All store under the bed and we nest the carry-on roller boards inside them. Kathy

Do you have any suitcases that fit inside one another? That would make it even easier to store them.

Another consideration: if you go for several small suitcases and split up each person's clothing, if a bag gets lost no one will be totally without clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter