First California Trip!

catfan98

DIS Veteran
Hi guys! Well, we’ve went back and forth on vacation plans for this year - we threw around an idea of a California/Grand Canyon/Vegas trip, but ultimately ended up making plans for WDW again, instead. However after much discussion, we ended up canceling WDW in favor of just a California trip. We’re going to do a smaller Grand Canyon/Vegas trip next year. Cali is planned for the end of May/first of June. My son has been asking to go to Cali for a couple of years and we’re finally making it happen! For reference, it’ll be me, my husband, our daughter (23), and our son (almost 17). We are doing a Friday to Friday trip due to our daughter’s work schedule. Our flight in is early so that we can maximize our time there. Our plan is as follows:

Friday 5/29 - Arrive at LAX @ 8:25am - gather luggage and pick up the rental vehicle. Spend the day exploring Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, and other beaches/sites in that area (my son’s #1 request is the pier). We will drive to Disneyland that evening to check into our hotel (Residence Inn convention center).
Saturday 5/30 - Hollywood Bus Tour (it’s an all day tour & picks up/drops off at our hotel). My husband thinks this will be easier than trying to navigate that area on our own, parking, etc., and that we‘ll get to see all the highlights this way. Correct me if there is a better way, though. I’m open to ideas.
Sunday 5/31 - Disneyland (no grad night)
Monday 6/1 - Disneyland (no grad night)
Tuesday 6/2 - checkout of hotel and drive to San Francisco. Spend the evening there.
Wednesday 6/3 - Leisure drive up through Redwoods area, stopping and exploring areas of interest. Spend the night somewhere along the way - either at our halfway stopping point or after we’ve turned around and started back towards SF. I’m still figuring out where to stay and I’m totally open to ideas. We’re thinking Humbolt Redwood State Park will be as far as up we go. From what I’ve researched, that gives us some pretty decent sights/stops for the time frame we have. But correct me if I need to change this.
Thursday 6/4 - Leisure drive back to San Francisco from our overnight stay and spend the afternoon/evening in San Fran.
Friday 6/5 - afternoon flight home from SFO.

The main things the kids want to do are the pier, see the ocean/beaches, typical Hollywood area sites, Disneyland, and the redwoods. I know there is SO much more to see and do in the area, and if we had additional days to stay, we would definitely be doing more. But, we’re limited to the week time frame and I have tried to make sure I fit in what the kids really want to do the most. We chose to stay close to Disneyland for the entire stay until we leave for SF, so we aren’t packing up and moving around so much for the first 4 nights.

Opinions/ideas/corrections are appreciated. :) Thanks so much!

If you were thinking Muir Woods National Monument, it gets crowded - primarily because it's the only largish stand of old growth redwoods left in the Bay Area. It now requires reservations for parking and even for the bus. Tour operators already have reservations. However, there's old growth redwoods up and down the coast all the way down to Big Sur. I'd suggest maybe taking a drive to Santa Cruz before going to San Francisco. There are several state parks around Santa Cruz that have spectacular old growth and aren't terribly crowded. Maybe Henry Cowell Redwoods or Big Basin Redwoods. Here's a map from an article:

640x0.jpg

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/...round-Santa-Cruz-to-see-redwoods-12829414.php
Santa Cruz has an amusement park, and it should be open daily in your timeframe. The rides operate on both tickets and daily wristbands. They have a great wooden roller coaster and the only carousel I've ever ridden on with a ring machine (to throw at a target).

If you were thinking Muir Woods National Monument, it gets crowded - primarily because it's the only largish stand of old growth redwoods left in the Bay Area. It now requires reservations for parking and even for the bus. Tour operators already have reservations. However, there's old growth redwoods up and down the coast all the way down to Big Sur. I'd suggest maybe taking a drive to Santa Cruz before going to San Francisco. There are several state parks around Santa Cruz that have spectacular old growth and aren't terribly crowded. Maybe Henry Cowell Redwoods or Big Basin Redwoods. Here's a map from an article:

640x0.jpg

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/...round-Santa-Cruz-to-see-redwoods-12829414.php
Santa Cruz has an amusement park, and it should be open daily in your timeframe. The rides operate on both tickets and daily wristbands. They have a great wooden roller coaster and the only carousel I've ever ridden on with a ring machine (to throw at a target).

This is the itinerary I had planned:CA745EBA-8F16-4485-8DFC-F512BE546AEC.png

OK. Again, Muir Woods requires a reservation unless you're planning on walking or biking in, or if you work through a tour operator. And Muir Woods gets way too crowded these days.

https://gomuirwoods.com
I know they're awesome and everything, but you could save a lot of time by not going up to Humboldt.

Here's Henry Cowell Redwoods:

Other than size and perhaps dealing with crowds, there may not really be much of an advantage of one location over another. They're all pretty spectacular.

OK. Again, Muir Woods requires a reservation unless you're planning on walking or biking in, or if you work through a tour operator. And Muir Woods gets way too crowded these days.

https://gomuirwoods.com
I know they're awesome and everything, but you could save a lot of time by not going up to Humboldt.

Here's Henry Cowell Redwoods:

Other than size and perhaps dealing with crowds, there may not really be much of an advantage of one location over another. They're all pretty spectacular.

Thank you, I will definitely look into this!

@bcla After looking at your suggestions, I think we’ve formulated a new plan. We still have tweaking to do on it, but this is the gist of it. Let me know if I’m off on timing or anything.

Friday 5/29 - Arrive at LAX @ 8:25am - gather luggage and pick up the rental vehicle. Spend the day exploring Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, and other beaches/sites in that area (my son’s #1 request is the pier). We will drive to Disneyland that evening to check into our hotel (Residence Inn convention center).
Saturday 5/30 - Hollywood Bus Tour (it’s an all day tour & picks up/drops off at our hotel). My husband thinks this will be easier than trying to navigate that area on our own, parking, etc., and that we‘ll get to see all the highlights this way. Correct me if there is a better way, though. I’m open to ideas.
Tuesday 6/2 - Drive the pacific coast highway towards San Francisco with stops along the way. Stay overnight about halfway up or so. Any recommendations?
Wednesday 6/3 - Drive the pacific coast highway towards San Francisco with stops along the way including Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park and Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Stay overnight - not sure yet if we’ll stay close to SF or go on into SF, we’re still mapping out and timing it.
Thursday 6/4 - San Francisco day and evening

I only suggested redwoods closer to San Francisco because it's more convenient. If you have your heart set on bigger trees, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Redwood National and State Parks is on my bucket list. I grew up and have pretty much lived my entire life in California, but I've never been up there before. In the past I've had a Muir Woods annual pass (it was only $20 at one time and good for up to 4 adults) but most of the trees from Sonoma to points further south are smaller. I asked a ranger at Muir Woods why, and the answer was probably genetic distribution. And if you can do it during the daytime, the drive up CA-1 up the San Mateo County coast is spectacular.

As for places along the way, are you set on the coastal route or making time? CA-1 is great, but slower and scary (on the side of a cliff) for some. US-101 is more inland most of the way. Maybe Solvang? The fastest way if generally going to be I-5, but there's really nothing but truck stops and tiny farming towns along the way. And then there's smell of the ripe urine of tens of thousands of cattle. If you intend on making it up in one day on CA-1, then you'll either need to leave early or throw in another day. In order to get to the Santa Cruz area, you'll need to take 101 or 5.

I only suggested redwoods closer to San Francisco because it's more convenient. If you have your heart set on bigger trees, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Redwood National and State Parks is on my bucket list. I grew up and have pretty much lived my entire life in California, but I've never been up there before. In the past I've had a Muir Woods annual pass (it was only $20 at one time and good for up to 4 adults) but most of the trees from Sonoma to points further south are smaller. I asked a ranger at Muir Woods why, and the answer was probably genetic distribution. And if you can do it during the daytime, the drive up CA-1 up the San Mateo County coast is spectacular.

As for places along the way, are you set on the coastal route or making time? CA-1 is great, but slower and scary (on the side of a cliff) for some. US-101 is more inland most of the way. Maybe Solvang? The fastest way if generally going to be I-5, but there's really nothing but truck stops and tiny farming towns along the way. And then there's smell of the ripe urine of tens of thousands of cattle. If you intend on making it up in one day on CA-1, then you'll either need to leave early or throw in another day. In order to get to the Santa Cruz area, you'll need to take 101 or 5.

My husband was already a but leery of my original plan as he was afraid the kids would get bored driving through trees for 2 days, lol. We’ve never seen a redwood, so I think any would be impressive for us.

We are thinking coastal for the scenic route, stopping in some of the small towns and at Big Sur. We plan to spend both Tuesday and Wednesday driving it from LA to SF. Here is what I am going by as far as mapping it. It breaks it into 2 days on the directions. Points 3 and 4 are the two redwood parks. Maybe I didn’t input it right?
BA438138-D97E-4AD7-A0B3-BFFD401EB80A.jpeg

That sounds pretty good. Big Sur would be a good midway point, although it's kind of pricey except for camping.

This is the California State Parks guide to their sites with coast redwoods:

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24723
nc_redwoods_map.png

Some of these areas are state parks, some are Forest Service, and of course a little bit is National Park Service. There's a site called Redwoodhikes that will list a lot of them, but it may be more for heavy duty hiking. There are still plenty of redwoods close to roads.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/lpnf/about-forest

@bcla After looking at your suggestions, I think we’ve formulated a new plan. We still have tweaking to do on it, but this is the gist of it. Let me know if I’m off on timing or anything.

Tuesday 6/2 - Drive the pacific coast highway towards San Francisco with stops along the way. Stay overnight about halfway up or so. Any recommendations?
Wednesday 6/3 - Drive the pacific coast highway towards San Francisco with stops along the way including Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park and Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Stay overnight - not sure yet if we’ll stay close to SF or go on into SF, we’re still mapping out and timing it.
Thursday 6/4 - San Francisco day and evening

I think this is a much better plan.

We have driven 101 many times. The highland inn outside of Carmel is great. It’s a Hyatt. Also the restaurant along 101 called Nepenthe has the most incredible views. Monterey has a great aquarium. As for SF, you may not have time, but the Walt Disney family museum is well worth the stop. It’s in The Presidio area,

What Hollywood tour are you doing? I ask because I’m looking for a tour myself and would love ideas. 😊

I actually haven’t decided yet, lol. I’ve looked at several but haven’t narrowed it down to “the one”. There are SO many, it’s hard to choose which will be best! I definitely want one that incorporates Hollywood (walk of fame, sign, theatre), but the kids want to see Beverly Hills, too. So I’m slowly comparing them to see which fits best. I would love to do one of the private customizable ones, but whew, they are PRICEY.

I actually haven’t decided yet, lol. I’ve looked at several but haven’t narrowed it down to “the one”. There are SO many, it’s hard to choose which will be best! I definitely want one that incorporates Hollywood (walk of fame, sign, theatre), but the kids want to see Beverly Hills, too. So I’m slowly comparing them to see which fits best. I would love to do one of the private customizable ones, but whew, they are PRICEY.

I feel ya! I looked at one that was a private tour and it was way more than I wanted to spend on that particular activity on our trip. I'm already contemplating adding a day on just so we don't feel like we are having zero down time, I really would like to save a little money on certain other things. Best of luck finding what you need!

I am also in the middle of planning our first California Trip for spring break. Just dropped by for some tips.. My brother did the Access Hollywood Tour in Oct. and highly recommended it. He saw Jay Leno and met Meredith Viera outside her home. Tour guide stopped and met her while she was out on a jog. She was cool - they videoed my brother's encounter and she posted on her Instagram.

@bcla Is the Santa Monica Pier a whole day thing or will an afternoon and evening there suffice? Son's #1 request, just trying to decide how much time to allot to it. Thanks!

@bcla Is the Santa Monica Pier a whole day thing or will an afternoon and evening there suffice? Son's #1 request, just trying to decide how much time to allot to it. Thanks!

Never been there, or at least I don't remember. Maybe my parents took me there when I was less than 5, but I don't recall. I'm from Northern California and far more familiar with our coast and Santa Cruz.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter