Votes: 4 8.0%
  • BWV

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • AKL

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • OKW

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
Congress Park is certainly the best view and best DTD proximity. While the basic Congress park pool also has that great view, with younger children, I'd want one of the other pools. (Congress park does have a non-water playground)
Paddock's pool would have the best kids area, and has a QS eatery. Springs is the other feature pool with zero entry and some kid features. Grandstand has a kids splash area next to a basic pool..

THANK YOU for the info on pools. I would not have guessed that information from the property maps I have looked at. Awesome!

I'd book SSR at 11 months to guarantee yourself something for the dates that you want, but then at 7 months I would definitely look to make the switch to either a resort on the monorail loop (BLT, Poly or VGF) or an EPCOT resort (our personal favorite BWV or BCV).

You'll definitely wanna check out SSR (and all of the rest until you find your favorite, your true DVC home regardless of your official home resort) eventually, but I don't subscribe to the whole "you should stay there 1st just because it's your home resort". With children under 10 I would absolutely look to take advantage of the convenience at either an MK resort or EPCOT resort. Enjoy and good luck!

Thanks! We are looking for SSR looking at the future - when the kids are grown and we still get to go to Disney World. So, your advice is probably what we will do. We are not picky and I am hoping that if we pass ROFR, the 7 month window will result in at least one option opening up. If we don't pass ROFR this time, we will probably end up renting DVC points for our next trip.

I would read up on the resorts, start looking at pictures, turn your research into a family affair. Then just pick a resort and go. You will stay at all of them many times during your ownership.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks, Bill. This seems like sage advice.
-Gwen

Assuming you pass ROFR you will be 9-10 months out if you are planning on a July 2018 trip and will be able to book SSR. Once you are in the DVC system you can use the resort availability tool (affectionately known as the RAT around here) to search for availability to get a sense of what your options might be while you wait for the 7 month window to open. The good news is that the 1 br. villas are easier to get, so you may have several choices.
Good luck w/ ROFR & you'll have a chance to visit most of the DVC resorts going forward, including the ones not yet built. If you see availability somewhere that really appeals to you (AKV for animals or the extra bathroom in the Kidani villas, BCV for SAB, etc.) no reason to not grab it at 7 months, you can always visit/pool hop over to SSR to check it out.

Based off my own families personal preferences... if you guys prefer MK and plan to spend a lot of time there, go for BLT or Poly. If you guys are more of an EPCOT/DHS family, go for BWV or BCV (also plenty of dining, shopping and mini-golf at these 2).

I think we will be a split family between DHS (specifically Star Wars and Toy Story Land) and MK. Thanks for sharing the preferences. When we finally get our points (or settle for renting DVC points for our next trip), proximity to parks and - as another response suggested - my kids' "research" will guide our pick.

We bought at HHI but did our first stay at AKL. It was an amazing first trip. If your kids are little, I would stay at AKL so much to do for them there. You have years to stay at SSR and older kids appreciate it more.

Thanks! I agree! We are looking for SSR for the future - when the kids are grown and touring the parks is not as hands on. Cross your fingers for our ROFR; but if it doesn't pass, I think we will be staying at a DVC anyway... just on rented points.

I think we will be a split family between DHS (specifically Star Wars and Toy Story Land) and MK. Thanks for sharing the preferences. When we finally get our points (or settle for renting DVC points for our next trip), proximity to parks and - as another response suggested - my kids' "research" will guide our pick.

If you guys like DHS and wanna enjoy the convenience of close proximity to the parks and not being forced into taking a bus everywhere, then I'd go for BWV or BCV! Booking for a July trip, you should be able to get a room at BWV (likely a Garden/Pool view, as the Standard and Boardwalk views tend to fill up quicker. Standard is almost never available at 7 months. We've had some luck with Boardwalk view at 7 months, but not always.). My wife and I book BWV for our 2 week summer trip (she's a teacher as well) at the 7 month mark every year and never have any issues. The fact that you'd be looking at a 1 bdrm helps also, as Studios tend to fill quicker. I think you guys will absolutely love BWV, it sounds like a perfect fit for your family. Good luck with the ROFR process, hope all goes smoothly! Happy planning and welcome to the DVC family!

Last edited:
Booking for a July trip, you should be able to get a room at BWV (likely a Garden/Pool view, as the Standard and Boardwalk views tend to fill up quicker. Standard is almost never available at 7 months. We've had some luck with Boardwalk view at 7 months, but not always.). ...Good luck with the ROFR process, hope all goes smoothly! Happy planning and welcome to the DVC family!

Thanks for the suggestion of Garden/Pool view. I hope your next trip goes well!

I come at it like this- one year I am going in peak DVC time, October, Christmas etc. Then I am almost certainly staying in my home resort. So if another I would really like comes up on booking, I'll pick that instead- may not have another opportunity in future. If the bus rides don't bother you AKL is a good choice with the kiddos, BLT if you want to saunter over on foot to MK, BWV/ BCV if you want to saunter to HS/Epcot and WL if you like the relaxing wooded feel, but a quick boat ride from MK. Heck even OKW is great and v relaxing but given its supposed imminent room refurb I'd wait a few years for that.

First trip, stay at you home resort. Why buy there if you don't want to stay there?

If like me you bought DVC because you like the idea of trying different resorts over time, then instead you should keep a stay at your home resort for a time when you go during peak DVC period.
So if you want to try all resorts over time, try to book the most difficult to get, with the following priority:
VGF
BCV
BWV
CC
BR
BLT
Poly
AKV
OKW
SSR

This order is not scientific in any way, based on my personal observation of availability when I tried to book in the past. Others are welcome to correct me if they thing I got something wrong. Also, they may change over time as newer resorts sell out (Poly, above all). I'm not counting for specialty rooms (like AKV value, BLT or BWV standard) just looking at availability of any kind of view. And you should adapt this priority list depending on personal preferences (my first stay has been in AKV because I really like that resort).

If you go during a slow time, try to book a difficult resort, if you travel during peak time, book SSR at 11 months and see if you can switch at 7. Always waitlist for a more difficult category (last January I booked BWV garden view, then got Standard view via WL)

If like me you bought DVC because you like the idea of trying different resorts over time, then instead you should keep a stay at your home resort for a time when you go during peak DVC period.
So if you want to try all resorts over time, try to book the most difficult to get, with the following priority:
VGF
BCV
BWV
CC
BR
BLT
Poly
AKV
OKW
SSR

This order is not scientific in any way, based on my personal observation of availability when I tried to book in the past. Others are welcome to correct me if they thing I got something wrong. Also, they may change over time as newer resorts sell out (Poly, above all). I'm not counting for specialty rooms (like AKV value, BLT or BWV standard) just looking at availability of any kind of view. And you should adapt this priority list depending on personal preferences (my first stay has been in AKV because I really like that resort).

If you go during a slow time, try to book a difficult resort, if you travel during peak time, book SSR at 11 months and see if you can switch at 7. Always waitlist for a more difficult category (last January I booked BWV garden view, then got Standard view via WL)

Agree entirely with the strategy, exactly my view as well. However something else to consider in the priority list, number of points required for a night. With me, I wouldn't book VGF due to high points requirement first time, and wanting to maximise the stay length, especially first time- but I'm an international visitor. AKL was my first choice due to resort uniqueness and low points for longer stay.

I would recommend BWV or BLT. BWV - It's so nice being able to walk to two parks. If your kiddos are tired, just wait for the boat. BLT - It's really nice to be able to walk to MK.

At BWV you are so close to so much! You can even walk over to one of the Mini-golf courses. I also love the ambiance of the Boardwalk area, especially at night.

Poly might be another decent option for the MK area. I loved being able to walk over to the TTC and grab the ferry to the MK or the monorail to EP. It was nice to be able to watch the MK fireworks from the beach too! The other thing I liked here was their bathroom configuration. With 4 people, having the extra shower comes in handy.

Happy planning!

It is true that BLT and BWV are great for walkability. But, if you are driving or renting a car and planning on driving to the parks, then SSR and OKW are great, since your parking spot is so close to your front door (instead of having to walk all the way through a huge parking lot and a hotel).

I agree with the advice to book your home resort at 11 months and switch if you can based on availability.

With children under 10, I would imagine MK will be a big part of your trip. Staying on the Monorail (POLY, BLT, VGF) or Wilderness Lodge (BRV CCV) with easy access to MK would be my choice if available.

The Epcot resorts (BCV BWV) are great for access to Epcot and DHS if those are a priorities.

We have no experience with OKW or SSR, but they sound wonderful also. Boat / walking to DS is something I will definitely want to try in the future. Lots of positive feedback on these boards about these resorts.

We own at AKL and love the theme, animals, and restaurants but miss easy access to parks (much prefer boats / monorail / walking over buses)

No way to know for sure until your family has more experience with the DVC resorts. We are anxious to try them all (Kidani and BCV split stay in December is our next trip)

Have fun

The first DVC trip is a special one, and my advice would be to book at SSR so you and your family can bond with your home resort. It would not be good to have an awesome experience somewhere else and then worry that you made a poor purchase decision.

SSR is a great resort with easy access to Disney Springs. I'd stay there.

We are new DVC owners (at BLT) as well. We hemmed and hawed about where our first stay over presidents week 2018 should be. By the time we bought we were 9 mo out and there was no full availability in anything less than a 1BR LV which was too many points. Ultimately through WL we got a LV studio. At 7 mo I got the jitters about a studio for the 4 of us since we had a toddler and likely a pack and play, so I moved us to a BWV 1br garden/pool. I'm still hoping to get either a 1br standard at either BLT or BWV, but even if neither one comes through, we will be happy with where we are. For me, since ultimately I'd like to get DH on board with a contract at an EP resort, if he "bonds" with BWV i will not be disappointed! We've now stayed at VGF, BLT, BCV and BWV on rented points, and love all of them. Right now he's living BCV because of SAB but I like BWV bexause of its convenience to HS, the BW area, and also because of the lower points needed for standard rooms.

ALso I voted BLT because of the proximity to MK, viewing fireworks and because of the 2 full baths if you book a 1BR. Second choice is BCV because of the pool. I think overall I love VGF the best but rooms cost SO many points... and BWV has the BW and ample hills creamery.... (drool)

If your kids are pool kids, it might be useful to know which pools are zero entry or have slides good for the ages and types of swimmers your kids are. I love the BWV (its home), but the pool is not great for pre-schoolers - you need to be pretty tall to stand and the only slide is big. VAKL has a little slide and zero entry, which is nice for the preschool set. And SSR (IIRC) has both a kiddie slide and a big slide at the big pool with zero entry. BCV is an amazing pool - but its sight lines are horrible, it has a stiff current in deep water through the lazy river, and its big slide is long and dark.

honestly, I don't think it matters. But, you might want to check out SSR since it's your home resort. Maybe a split stay if you don't mind changing rooms midway?

First trip, stay at you home resort. Why buy there if you don't want to stay there?
I agree with Bill as well. Our 1st pts bought were at VWL, and we stayed there numerous times before venturing out to the others. Don't get me wrong, we love the other resorts, but your home is your home. Become familiar with it, as the 11/7 mos windows will play into getting ressies in your future and SSR will be at top of list for many reasons.
SSR has become a great stay for us over the yrs. Our 1st stay, not so stellar, but it was in its infancy. A huge amount was still in development stages, so it hadn't reached its full potential. But after full development, we stayed again, twice in fact, and now we love it. We prefer The Grandstand area, its quiet, not so far removed from the hub, a walk to the boats to DS, and a walk to Artists Pallete makes for a very nice stay.
Not too say,branch out and give em all a try. But give yourself time to fall in love with SSR 1st!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts