First Solo Trip and then A Bunch of People

keywis25

Mouseketeer
Hi I am going to try my hand at a pre-trip report and then hopefully a post trip report.

So a bit about me I am 44 I have been to a either Disney World or Disneyland every year since 2008. I have one kid my normal Disney and everywhere else travel buddy. I am a database administrator at a gold mine in northern Nevada. I throw in the gold mine part because being a database admin on its own sounds boring or nerdy. I work to go on vacation and I have completed many things on my disney bucket list but left are a solo trip (that will be part of this upcoming one),family museum in California, birth place in Chicago and Club 33. I'll need to think of more things to add, maybe some of the same but at WDW.
Accomplished are many things but some included every ride at Disneyland/CA (the canoes took me forever to get on), Staying at all 3 Disneyland Hotels (my favorite was the original), going to Marceline and being an annual passholder(I did that for one year when I lived in AZ).
. ME.jpg
This is my at the Walt Disney Hometown Museum in 2023. It had been on my bucket list for about 10 years and I finally got to go and I recommend it to all fans of Disney.

My last Disney trip was to my favorite parks the Disneyland Resort and it was quite the trip in December 2023. My daughter turned 21 and got engaged. Her boyfriend and mine were both first timers at any Disney Park. I was one emotional mom and my daughter was one happy kid. We spent 6 nights there with a VIP tour at Universal and the rest of the time at DL. Here are some photos from that trip.
group.jpg

The four of us
bday.jpg
The princess meeting the princess
proposal.jpg

The castle proposal color me jealous.

Ok so that is some about me in my next update I will tell you my plans thus far.

I am headed to WDW on April 6th and leaving on April 13th. April 6th to April 8th will be the portion of the trip that is solo. Then the evening of the 8th my bestest friend that I met way back in basic training will be joining me for the rest of the trip. She will bring with along her boyfriend and 3 teenagers.

This trip has been talked about for about a year, when my friend said she would book her timeshare for a week if I would buy the tickets and deal was struck. So once she arrives I will be staying with them at Kingstown Reef.

But before that I am staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for two nights. At first I booked Port Orleans Riverside but I thought I wanted a balcony as I like to sit out early in the morning. So I changed hotels. I also had a 5 day one park a day ticket, well now it is 6 days and I am park hopping or at least have the options.

So I have decided to fly out of Salt Lake City even though it is 5 hours from me, normally I fly from Reno which is 2 and half hours from me but at a huge savings I chose the SLC flight.

So I will drive over to Salt Lake on Friday night and catch my plane on Saturday morning. This is my treat vacation so I am flying First Class. I arrive just after 3pm in Orlando.

I am hoping to get checked in and hit HS mostly because I want to go on the Runaway Railroad, I loved it at Disneyland and I want to go again.

I'll see what other rides I can do and then head out.

The next day I want to go to Epcot for the morning and Magic Kingdom for the afternoon. And on Monday I want to hit Animal Kingdom and then maybe more Magic Kingdom before they arrive. I will then get my bags and go meet them at Kingstown Reef. I've made Mickey and Friends Dinner reservations for all of us this night.

On Tuesday we are headed to Universal mostly because my friend really really really wants to see the Harry Potter stuff, so I am in, but still trying to figure out how everything works there. I do the one in California every couple years but haven't been to the one in Florida in over a decade. Guess we will see how it goes.

The next three days are all Disney and mostly what the oldest teen wants to do as we are celebrating him graduating this year.

So that is my rough plan, I have been looking at attractions trying to get an idea of what to do on my days by myself. So as I work that out I will update here.

Any tips or must dos for a solo traveler? Things that might be better without others? Let me know

So I began my search for a hotel in Salt Lake City for Friday night and I just couldn't find one I liked. So instead I changed my flight to a red eye to leave at 11:20pm and land in Orlando at 5:44 am. So instead of a few hours on Saturday, I will have the whole day for the parks. I am thinking about spending the first day or at least morning in Epcot and heading to HS for the evening after a little break.

I really want to do Remy, Frozen and Guardians. I've done the other rides in Epcot so not a must. In HS I only really want to do the Runaway Railroad. So I know most of these have long lines but I am hoping to knock out all 3 on Saturday. If not I will find time to go back.

I will get Genie Plus and see how many LL and virtual queues I can get into to help.

But that is my new plan is to have the entire day that first day. Sleep on the plane and a few cold brew coffees and I should make it.

Following along. Looking forward to reading more
Welcome DLo glad to have you along for the planning phase.

Planning is a big portion of the fun for me. When I travel with others they only like to hear my final plans not the 1 million changes I've made or the new things I've discovered. I think I may like writing these reports as it gives me an outlet for my thoughts while I plan.

Reactions: DLo
Ok... I have just 18 short days till I am on a plane. Just 12 more working days in there, I love the count down. So I think the first part of my trip is fairly sketched out now.
I will take drive to Salt Lake on the 5th and catch a red eye, buy my Genie plus and schedule VQ and LL when they become available. Take bags drop off at the Animal Kingdom lodge and head to Epcot. I will do Remy, Frozen and Guardians.
Then I may take a nap if room is ready and head to HS to do the one thing I want there the Runaway railroad.
Day two I will hit Magic Kingdom and then more Epcot. And Monday morning I will go see all my favorite animals at the Animal Kingdom.
I am flexible on this plan but that is my rough outline. I will hit mostly whatever rides I feel like after knocking out the four I want. I am making no dining reservations while I am by myself but will try walk up depending on how my day is going or just QS and snacks.

So my friend and her family show up Monday afternoon, they are driving in from Augusta, Ga and think they will be there between 3 and 4. So once they get there I will go grab my bags from bellhop and I will be staying in a 3 bedroom with them at the Kingstown Reef.

I have made a character dining for dinner for all of us at Mickey's at 7:50pm but am hoping something at Artist Point opens up before 8pm and I will grab that instead. We are starting at Universal on Tuesday morning. Then the next 3 days they have 1 park a day tickets, I have park hopper still and if they get tired might use it more.

So I am trying to work out the best way to see universal. I am leaning toward the express passes as I really don't like Universal lines at least the ones in California are bad and I will probably be tired after my previous weekend adventures. They may all just get a surprise of express passes I will decide this week after I am done doing my next month budget.

I think for the 3 days after that I will let the teens pick the parks, they want to do all by HS (no star wars fans in the group), And let them each pick a ride a day at each park for us to target. I will be gifting them all Genie plus and some ILL because I can only do so many lines before I am ready to go find a cocktail and people watch.

Thinking about time at Disney Springs but no biggie if I miss it this trip.

I got my magic band. I love this design. I know the Jungle Cruise has become very popular in the last few years but I have always loved the ride since I was a teenager. So I am excited to have this band to wear. I am bringing the 4 from my last trip to let my friend and her family use then we will only be short one.

20240318_115352.jpg

I got my magic band. I love this design. I know the Jungle Cruise has become very popular in the last few years but I have always loved the ride since I was a teenager. So I am excited to have this band to wear. I am bringing the 4 from my last trip to let my friend and her family use then we will only be short one.

View attachment 843515
I could be wrong but I do not think you can transfer your magic band to another person.

Your new one is cute though!!

I could be wrong but I do not think you can transfer your magic band to another person.

Your new one is cute though!!
I just looked it up you are right, thank you for that. It can and we did do it at Disneyland but the DW app does not allow an unassign. I was able to unassign all mine from Disneyland app and we swapped them around last trip because I wanted to wear the Claribelle one someone else in my party had. But it seems DW does not allow the same function. Oh well guess they will get some new ones.

I just looked it up you are right, thank you for that. It can and we did do it at Disneyland but the DW app does not allow an unassign. I was able to unassign all mine from Disneyland app and we swapped them around last trip because I wanted to wear the Claribelle one someone else in my party had. But it seems DW does not allow the same function. Oh well guess they will get some new ones.
Yeah it stinks!

Time for the next change in plans. For The Sunday I am there by myself I have booked the Wild Africa Trek for 8:45 in the morning. Still holding my plans to knock out some stuff in Epcot and HS on Saturday but I am eyeing the Keys to the Kingdom tour on Saturday. So many decisions. But for Sunday I am off to pretend in my wild. It really sounds like a lot of fun and the "snack" looks like more than enough for an entire meal.

Ok I am in my final week of work. I only work 4 days a week which is really cool to always have 3 day weekends. So I just have to remember to work and not pretend I am already on vacation.
As I get closer to my trip my days by myself are starting to shape up. I have decided not to rush around and see how much I can fit in. I have done those Disney trips where it is non stop rides and shows. I am sure when the rest of my group joins me Monday afternoon it will be a very rushed, see how much we can fit in, type of trip.
For my first few days I am going to do some things but not rush and not worry if I don't get to do something. I still plan on flying in on my red eye and getting there before park opening Saturday.
I will get in a couple rides and maybe enjoy browsing the merchandise in Epcot. I have a massage planned at 2:30 and might throw in getting my nails done. I think I will then hop over to HS and look around. Then I have dinner at Sanaa at 8:45. I have read good things about the bread service and am going to give it a try.

On Sunday, I am off early on my Wild Africa Trek, which I see I will get some lunch at the end of that so that takes care of the eating. I am so excited, I find these animals so fascinating. I like to learn more from people who get to work with them every day. After that I am going to ride Expedition Everest til I hit diminishing returns :). Or maybe I will just people watch who knows.

Monday I have breakfast at the Crystal Palace, I love character meals, and I think I will just wander around the MK or maybe hop if I saw something in one of the other parks I want to go back for. My group will arrive around 4 that day. So I did get dinner at Artist Point (changed it from Chef Mickey's) at 7 that night so we can kick off their week right. Maybe hit up Disney Springs for some World of Disney before dinner.
For Universal I broke down and bought us all express passes, they do not know that yet. For some reason Universal ride lines are just sooooo boring to stand in. And we only have one day there so wanted the kids to ride as much as they could fit in.
My friend is driving down and said she would drive to Universal, but i am thinking about scheduling a car service there and back so we can do what we want and not worry about someone driving, will decide in the next couple of days on this. Like the idea of a scheduled ride there so it is on time to hotel and uber back so we can have a flexible leaving time.

I am so excited to get going on this trip. It is supposed to be snowing the day I drive to Salt Lake City to fly out so I am hoping and praying the forecast changes but if not it will just take me a bit longer to drive that way.

I will start packing Wed. Got some of my essentials already like the moleskin and foot powder. I learned a long time ago how to make sure I don't get blisters. I got most my medicine but need to pick up so Claritin or Zyrtec as the pollen is real in the southeast. Get that in my system so allergies do not get in my way. I have my adult beverages for the hotel room, love to buy the little shots for vacation (have enough to share with my friends too).
My magic Mickey bag is all packed with park essentials, ibuprofen, sunscreen, chapstick, magic wallet lol, and my favorite water bottle.

I will be attempting a Trip Report when I get back complete with all the fun pictures and details. I think my phone will be good for taking notes but does anyone have suggestions for how you keep it all straight for the Trip Report Writing, if so I am open for ideas.

Time for the next change in plans. For The Sunday I am there by myself I have booked the Wild Africa Trek for 8:45 in the morning. Still holding my plans to knock out some stuff in Epcot and HS on Saturday but I am eyeing the Keys to the Kingdom tour on Saturday. So many decisions. But for Sunday I am off to pretend in my wild. It really sounds like a lot of fun and the "snack" looks like more than enough for an entire meal.
How fun! I so want to do the Trek.

How fun! I so want to do the Trek.
Hi KimM82, I will let everyone know how it goes, I did not even know about it until I tried to get the starlight safari and saw this Trek and thought that sounds way more fun. So hopefully it all goes well and I have a blast.

Last day of work before vacation, I wonder how much I will accomplish today. Hopefully, there will be no fires to put out.
I am super excited to get on the road tomorrow, hoping the weather is not too bad, it is showing snow starting tonight and continuing to Saturday morning along my 5 hour trip to Salt Lake City. But also saying only 1 to 3 inches of accumulation, so fingers crossed it is just a sprinkle. But I will leave a couple hours before I need to just in case, lots of high mountain passes to get over.

I still have yet to make it to the store to get last minute items. I guess after work it is to go get stuff, plus stuff for the house, like dogs seem to need more food.

Well I guess not much to do but get to working and try not to think too much about my days off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter