First solo trip - Christmastime???

Poohlove

DIS Veteran
I have been considering taking my first solo trip this Christmas season to see all of the lights and sights that Disney has to offer. There is a slight possibility that DD19 may join me but it is very slight. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to offer up to keep this trip as low budget as possible? What are your must dos for the holiday season?

I went last year to do this and lucked out. I was able to see all the fall/Halloween decorations during the first two days of my visit and then all of a sudden I walked into MK the next day and it was Christmas. Best of both worlds. I'll have to look up the exact dates of my trip.

As for low budget, that all depends on what type of accommodations you are looking for. If you want to stay on property the lowest you'll get is set up a tent over at FWC. A tent site there is around $75 a night and you can have up to 10 people per site. It is a great time of year to camp, not too cold at night or hot during the day. Plus, a lot of campers go all out in decorating their sites and it's a lot of fun to see their displays. If camping isn't for you then the budget All Star's are the way to go. If you don't mind off-site and go at the end of November and beginning of December you can find hotels for $30-50 a night all over Kissimmee.

As for must do's, there are so many. They had a great Christmas tree display set up at Disney Spring's last year. Each tree was decorated pertaining to a movie or character. It was also free to walk through. I enjoy just seeing the parks and hotels decorated for the Holidays.

Have fun!

I just did a solo trip December of last year. It was kind of last minute, and I went because I found an excellent room rate on Expedia for The Swan. My focus for the trip was to partake in good food and the holiday festivities. I really enjoyed the Storytellers around WS, saw the Voices of Liberty do their holiday set a couple times, and the holiday decor/show on Sunset Blvd in DHS was also a lot of fun... all of these things were no extra cost. For add-ons that did cost extra, I did the Candle Light Processional dinner package and Jingle Bell Jingle Bam, both of which I enjoyed. I ate at Flying Fish twice, both times ordering off of the Appetizer menu, which does save on the cost.

My cousin and I enjoy going in November (not Thanksgiving week) as Disney certainly knows how to do Christmas. My favorite part was the day we hung out at our resort and the Springs and then attended Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party. Everyone was dressed in festive clothes.....even pajamas. Keep in mind the evenings are a lot cooler than expected so bring warm clothes. We walked straight onto every ride with no wait. The best part was when it snowed on Main Street and I cried. It was just so overwhelming.

You can visit the Grand Floridian resort. It's free to visit. Decorations are wonderful including an adult size ginger bread house.

There's live Christmas music in the lobby by a small orchestra. In between their sets there is a piano player. If you go on the right day and time you can see the MK fireworks at the pier.

You can take the monorail and visit the Polynesian and the Contemporary resorts, as well.

Epcot is my favorite park for Christmas. You have a few special choirs like the Voices of Liberty who do sets in the American Adventure Pavillon. Towards evening there's the Candlelight Processional. You can wait in the long line standby or get a dinner show package which will give you reserved seating.
World Showcase has storytelling in each country with their traditions for the holiday.

If you are more interested in the Christmas at Disney you can stay off site at a resort for a cheaper rate. If you want your cake and eat it too with all the prime rides then I would stay onsite to get the 60 day window for fastpasses.

Last edited:
I went last year to do this and lucked out. I was able to see all the fall/Halloween decorations during the first two days of my visit and then all of a sudden I walked into MK the next day and it was Christmas. Best of both worlds. I'll have to look up the exact dates of my trip.

As for low budget, that all depends on what type of accommodations you are looking for. If you want to stay on property the lowest you'll get is set up a tent over at FWC. A tent site there is around $75 a night and you can have up to 10 people per site. It is a great time of year to camp, not too cold at night or hot during the day. Plus, a lot of campers go all out in decorating their sites and it's a lot of fun to see their displays. If camping isn't for you then the budget All Star's are the way to go. If you don't mind off-site and go at the end of November and beginning of December you can find hotels for $30-50 a night all over Kissimmee.

As for must do's, there are so many. They had a great Christmas tree display set up at Disney Spring's last year. Each tree was decorated pertaining to a movie or character. It was also free to walk through. I enjoy just seeing the parks and hotels decorated for the Holidays.

Have fun!
Great reminder on the decorated campsites! Is it okay to come check out the displays if you aren't staying there?

Great reminder on the decorated campsites! Is it okay to come check out the displays if you aren't staying there?

Yes, you can visit. If you are worried about getting in just tell the front gate you are going to Hoop De Do Review or Trail's End restaurant and they will let you right in!

I booked a last minute trip last year for my birthday the first week of December. I stayed at POP for 6 days then had to hop to Coronado for a night. The only problem is that time period is POP Warner football week at WWOS, so the value hotels on property do book up.

I always do a solo trip for 11 days mid December. It can get busy, but the weather is cooler and everyone just seems to be in a good mood. It’s a great time to visit, and sometimes you can pick up some unique Holiday gifts. I also like Epcot a lot during the holidays. Some years I have splurged on the candlelight dinner package if the narrator is a popular one, and sometimes I just hang out at the American pavilion and listen to the show. I have also done a shorter solo trip Christmas week, which is a lot more crowded and requires a little more planning but is still fun.

As far as parks go, MK is a must. It's so beautiful when it's dressed for the holidays. Epcot has some great holiday activities that are cool too. HS and AK - not so much. So I'd limit my park tickets which can help keep costs lower.

I'd also compare the pricing at a Disney Value Resort vs. one of the Disney Spring resorts that are partners with Disney ( B Hotel tends to have some good prices ) just be sure there isn't a resort fee on top of the rate they are offering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter