First Stay at SSR

Mary2e

DIS Veteran
A friend had points expiring and gave them to me to use before the end of the month. We managed to book SSR in a studio!

The last I stayed there, it was the Disney Institute :)

In any event, I have a few questions.

• We're staying on points, so I guess that means no maid service. Right?
  • Is the mini fridge a real refrigerator that we can store milk in?
  • Is there a microwave? Toaster?
  • Is there a washer/dryer? Not that I plan on doing laundry, but will pack less if we don't have to bring "in case I spill something on myself" clothing :)
  • We'd like to be near a smoking area, I assume we're best off on the first floor. Should I just make that request on our reservation?
  • Any building better than another? We don't need to be near the pool and will have a car.

Any other hints/tips/advice?

Housekeeping depends on your length of stay:
Trash & Towel Service
For stays of seven or less nights, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day four, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.
With Trash & Towel service, Housekeeping will:
  • Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins.
  • Provide fresh bathroom linens.
  • Replace shampoo, facial soap and bath soap.
  • Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
  • Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners.
  • Replenish dishwashing liquid, dishwashing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent as needed in one-, two- and three-bedroom Vacation Homes.
Full Cleaning Service
For stays of eight or more nights, Full Cleaning Service is provided on day four and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day 12, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.
With Full Cleaning service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:
  • Change the bed linens.
  • Vacuum and dust the Vacation Home.
  • Clean the bathroom(s).
  • Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes.

Under counter fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker.

Studios do not have in-room laundry, but there are laundry rooms located by the pools with washers and dryers that are free to use.

We love Congress Park for stellar views of DTD and easy access to the walkways there. It is, however, the furthest from the main area.

You are going to love it there. It's beautiful! Enjoy! :goodvibes

With your resort confirmation number, you can check-in on-line at MyDisneyReservation.com

You can add up to 2 location requests. For SSR, those can be section (Springs, Paddock, Congress Park, Grandstand, Carousel), floor (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc), near transportation, etc.

Just a brief followup on our first stay at any DVC... it was, well, OK, and decidedly underwhelming. We were booked in a studio on points and upon entering the room couldn't believe how small it was. They did not accommodate our requests, which were to be on a low floor near a DSA, but once there were able to switch us. We ended up in the Carousel building. It was a slow weekend, and by Sunday night, we had the place to ourselves. They could have accommodated our room requests without us asking for them upon arrival.

The room was well kept and in good condition.

I knew that we would not receive maid service, but my husband did not. He wasn't thrilled. But it was just a long weekend.

We had gone on tours of DVCs before and never much paid close attention to the size of the studios. They're small - very small. I don't consider the "kitchen" amenities kitchen like at all. The fridge is small, though it works well (versus a drink cooler in the hotels), and there isn't much use to a microwave or toaster when there is such limited space to store the food.

But for the price we paid (nothing), it was more than adequate. Actually, it was perfectly fine.

For years my husband has said we should have purchased a DVC when they first started. Well now he won't buy one at any price. We simply were not impressed and have no real need to book a 1 bedroom and waste the large amount of points. We will just continue to say at the hotels or cabins when we visit. We're glad we stayed just to get the "what-if" conversation off the table :)

All-in-all it was a very nice and relaxing stay and we're glad we tried it. We just won't be back, unless of course, my friend has expiring points she needs to get rid of :)

Thanks again for all the help!

Sounds like a 1 BR would have been more to your liking. Plenty of couples book 1BRs because they prefer the space, a king bed in the bedroom, a living room, having a real kitchen, and laundry facilities in the room.

But if DVC stays aren't your cup 'o tea, that's fine too. Something for everyone. :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

I don't disagree. But we had always thought that we could buy enough points for a week in a studio and be happy as clams there. At least that's what the salespeople say :) I honestly didn't realize how small the studios are.

Disney has something for everyone. This just isn't for us.

Over 25 or so years, almost all of them :) We worked our way up from the moderates to the deluxes ;)

But lately, we've been dividing our time between the Contemporary and the cabins at Ft. Wilderness. Now the cabins are really home away from home - they're like mini houses in the middle of Disney with a deck, grill, and parking pad. We love the quiet and privacy.

Before then, we almost always stayed at the Poly or the Yacht/Beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter