First time. Dining questions.

dtkids

Mouseketeer
First time..first time planning, first time attending, first time my head is going to explode.

Dec 16-22, just me, hubby and teen daughter.
ADRs booked, with the exception of dining packages. As I learn more, I keeping coming up with questions. Can anyone offer insight?

12/17 EP/Candlelight Processional
1. I didn't even know this was a thing when I booked my ADRs earlier this week. Now I've gotten some info, and think we should do this. Dining plan...but for this, thinking be best to just pay out of pocket. Thoughts? Experience?
2. Because of Epcot's later hours (til 9:30p), this seems like a good place to come back to when other parks close (example: MK closing at 6 pm on 12/19). Is that a wise or terrible idea? Suggestions what to do during those last couple of hours?

12/18 AK/Rivers of Light
1. Will this show be every night during the busy holiday season?
2. If I am able to get a Tusker House/ROL breakfast around 9:30, will we have enough time to do a couple of rides during the 8 am MH? Or is that unrealistic?
3. If we've never seen Avatar, should we just skip those hard to get FP/long lines?

12/20 HS/Fantasmic
1. Will there only be one show during the December craziness?
2. Will they offer both lunch and early dinner packages (Mama Melrose)?
3. Any hints when the Fantasmic package reservations will open? As of today, I only see bookings thru Dec 15.

12/19 and 12/21 MK/MVMCP
1. I have 4pm ADR @ Crystal Palace and somehow got a 6:20 pm ADR @ CP as well (though technically I haven't yet bought my MVMCP tickets. Which one should I keep? We do not need a ton of character meet & greets. Mostly want parades, atmosphere, cocoa and cookies :-)
2. Trying to decide if we want to keep MVMCP day as lounge early to mid-morning, then leisurely make our way over to MK, by way of perhaps another park for fun? Any suggestions?

12/17 - 1. Depending on the cost of the restaurant, the CLP may be a waste of 2 credits per person. Garden Grill was in the $30-$40 range when we paid OOP for the CLP dining package two years ago. Others, like Teppen Edo at $70+ or Akershus might be a good use of 2 credits pp.
2. When MK closes early for the MVMCP, we will hop to other parks, but don't base any decisions on the currently posted hours. AK is listed as closing at 7pm, which would be ridiculous since they just opened Pandora and RoL which are both major night-time attractions. I suspect all parks will close about 9:30 that week except MK (which will definitely close early on MVMCP nights and probably stay open until at least 10pm on the other nights.

12/18 1. We are still waiting to find out the schedule for RoL past Oct. It is only scheduled Tues, Thurs, Sat, and Sun during Sept/Oct. I have tentatively planned my AK night on a Thursday just in case, but I am hoping they will run nightly.
2. Yes, you can get some great stuff in during the 1 1/2 hours before a 9:30 ADR, but I would push it a bit later. Since you would have to be up before 7 to make it to the park by 8, I assume you will want a quick snack for breakfast (I know my kids wouldn't make it 2 1/2 hours before eating!). I recommend getting more out of the prime touring time at rope drop and aiming for a 10:30 breakfast/lunch.
3. No! I haven't seen the new area yet, but reports are that the experience is outstanding! Even if you have never seen or don't care about the movie, guests have raved about the banshee ride and immersive theming throughout the land. I have never been to Africa, but I still enjoy the Safari ride!

12/20
1. I expect two Fantasmic showings by then. Last year, they only scheduled one Fireworks (Jingle Bam) and one Fantasmic through Dec 15. By Dec 18 they had two of each every night.
2. Yes, they usually offer both lunch and early dinner packages, but you must dine before the show and these are usually scheduled for the less-popular dining times (before 5-ish).
3. Lots of us are still waiting for them to extend bookings past Dec 15. I suspect they will start offering multiple shows on Dec 16 and will delay releasing those reservations until they decide on the show times.

MVMCP
1. I would not use valuable party time for a dining reservation. After paying an extra $100pp, there are lots of special things I would rather be doing than eating! We love the dance parties and stage shows, and it's fun to walk by and see all the special characters even if you don't wait in line for them. Last year they had different cookies/snacks at different locations, but they ran out after a few hours and were all handing out the same stuff by the end of the evening. If you find a favorite, go back soon!
2. MVMCP days are the best for touring MK. Crowds are super low early in the day until after 4pm. Lines are longest from 4-6 pm, then most are okay during the party, best after 9pm. Keep in mind that FP cannot be used during the party, so plan all of your FP before 6pm. It will probably be a very late night, so I would not plan a different park that morning, just show up to MK about noon and enjoy the park until midnight!

Great info! Thank you! I am second and third guessing myself. My gut seems to be on the right track. Thanks so much!

12/17 - 1. Depending on the cost of the restaurant, the CLP may be a waste of 2 credits per person. Garden Grill was in the $30-$40 range when we paid OOP for the CLP dining package two years ago. Others, like Teppen Edo at $70+ or Akershus might be a good use of 2 credits pp.
2. When MK closes early for the MVMCP, we will hop to other parks, but don't base any decisions on the currently posted hours. AK is listed as closing at 7pm, which would be ridiculous since they just opened Pandora and RoL which are both major night-time attractions. I suspect all parks will close about 9:30 that week except MK (which will definitely close early on MVMCP nights and probably stay open until at least 10pm on the other nights.

12/18 1. We are still waiting to find out the schedule for RoL past Oct. It is only scheduled Tues, Thurs, Sat, and Sun during Sept/Oct. I have tentatively planned my AK night on a Thursday just in case, but I am hoping they will run nightly.
2. Yes, you can get some great stuff in during the 1 1/2 hours before a 9:30 ADR, but I would push it a bit later. Since you would have to be up before 7 to make it to the park by 8, I assume you will want a quick snack for breakfast (I know my kids wouldn't make it 2 1/2 hours before eating!). I recommend getting more out of the prime touring time at rope drop and aiming for a 10:30 breakfast/lunch.
3. No! I haven't seen the new area yet, but reports are that the experience is outstanding! Even if you have never seen or don't care about the movie, guests have raved about the banshee ride and immersive theming throughout the land. I have never been to Africa, but I still enjoy the Safari ride!

12/20
1. I expect two Fantasmic showings by then. Last year, they only scheduled one Fireworks (Jingle Bam) and one Fantasmic through Dec 15. By Dec 18 they had two of each every night.
2. Yes, they usually offer both lunch and early dinner packages, but you must dine before the show and these are usually scheduled for the less-popular dining times (before 5-ish).
3. Lots of us are still waiting for them to extend bookings past Dec 15. I suspect they will start offering multiple shows on Dec 16 and will delay releasing those reservations until they decide on the show times.

MVMCP
1. I would not use valuable party time for a dining reservation. After paying an extra $100pp, there are lots of special things I would rather be doing than eating! We love the dance parties and stage shows, and it's fun to walk by and see all the special characters even if you don't wait in line for them. Last year they had different cookies/snacks at different locations, but they ran out after a few hours and were all handing out the same stuff by the end of the evening. If you find a favorite, go back soon!
2. MVMCP days are the best for touring MK. Crowds are super low early in the day until after 4pm. Lines are longest from 4-6 pm, then most are okay during the party, best after 9pm. Keep in mind that FP cannot be used during the party, so plan all of your FP before 6pm. It will probably be a very late night, so I would not plan a different park that morning, just show up to MK about noon and enjoy the park until midnight!

You definitely seem to know what you want for being the first time - good work.
We have never done the Candlelight Processional so I can't answer that.

We are doing the Tusker House /ROL package this summer. Since ROL is new I don't want to risk not seeing it. Plus we love Tusker House. I would do it. You have to do one of the Avatar rides - They are in the 1st tier. We are doing them and some of us didn't see Avatar..

For Fantasmic - I don't think you need the package - We did the package once because it was my daughters birthday and we wanted to make sure we had good seats and there were a lot of us. We did the Hollywood and Vine Minnie dinner - it was very good. We are not Mama Melrose fans. If you were to do a package I would pick Hollywood and Vine but I don't think you need a package to see Fantasmic - you should get in fine. It is a huge theater.

For MVMCP - I would eat earlier - the 4pm reservation. When we do the parties - we usually hang around the hotel, eat a big breakfast, swim or shop at Disney Springs and then head to MK at 3pm and eat at 4pm.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter