• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

first time using a wheelchair

Tissa

DIS Veteran
First I want to thanks to everyone on this board. Before last month I didn't even know that a medical needs stroller/wheelchair exsisted. My son has cp and can't walk long distances but has outgrown a regular stroller. So after reading a thread about the Convaid chairs I went and talked to the OT dept at his dr's office and we are going to be getting one soon!
We are going to bring it on our trip to DisneyWorld in June and I have a few questions.

It will be just me and my ds on this trip and my first time flying with him and I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get him in his chair, and two suitcases through the airport?

The other question is to use the wheelchair entrances or park the chair outside with the strollers? he can walk fine through the line but that chair is expensive and I'm worried about leaving it outside of an attraction.
TIA for any advise for 1st time wheelchair users. :love:

Discuss your needs with your airline before flying. Last time I flew out from Orlando, I had a redcap push me and my chair with one hand, whilst pullyin a trolley with my carry-on with the other.

I would like to believe that no mother with a disabled child would steal someone else's chair, but I suppose there is a first time for everything. Can you use one of those locks & chains that cyclists use? You would have to put the chain through a wheel to stop it turning. Don't chain it to anything, because the CM's might have to move it.

Andrew

Tissa said:
It will be just me and my ds on this trip and my first time flying with him and I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get him in his chair, and two suitcases through the airport?
Welcome to disABILITIES. Glad to hear you found some useful information here and that your son has his new special needs stroller.
Some suggestions for dealing with the suitcases:
  • If you can have someone to drop you off at the airport, many airports have curbside check in. That way, you would get your bags out of the way before you even go into the airport.
  • If you don't have curb-side check in, if someone can be with you until you check in, you won't need help again until you pick up your bags at your destination.
  • If you are staying at a WDW resort, check into using Magical Express. They can deliver your luggage right from the airport to your resort without you having to touch it.
  • Most airports have skycaps who can assist with wheelchairs, etc.
  • Our suitcases have a strap/belt that allows one smaller bag to be attached onto the larger bag. The large bag has wheels and I can pull it along behind my DD's wheelchair.
  • One of the other things I have done with a wheeled suitcase is to have my DD hold one to push in front of her. I push her and then pull the other wheelchair behind me.
  • A lot of airports have luggage carts (the ones at our airport are called "SmartCarts") that you can put your luggage on. Using one of those, you might be able to push the cart and your child at the same time.
  • I guess one of the big hints is just to try some things and see what works for you. It's going to depend on how heavy your bags are, how easily they roll, etc. It is doable though.
  • The special needs stroller can be gate checked. That way you keep it with you until you actually board the airplane. At that point, you fold it securely and it is taken to the hold to be stored. You can have it delivered back to the gate at your final destination or a connecting city. Ask about gate checking when you first check in - you have to get a special baggage check tag so the stroller ends up in the right place.
The other question is to use the wheelchair entrances or park the chair outside with the strollers? he can walk fine through the line but that chair is expensive and I'm worried about leaving it outside of an attraction.
TIA for any advise for 1st time wheelchair users. :love:
I'd suggest keeping it in lines with you. Some of the lines are a deceptively long distance (even if the wait isn't long). Besides, your son would probably benefit from boarding at the wheelchair entrance for those rides with moving walkways. The CMs can slow or stop the walkway at that point for people who are a little unsteady or require a bit more time/distance to board.
Where I would suggest leaving it outside would be shops - some get pretty crowded and would be easy to get around without it.

Check if your homeowners insurance will cover it for damage or theft.
We used a bike lock the first year that we had DD's wheelchair, but after that, decided it was too much trouble. If you use the stroller in line, it will be left in much more "protected" areas than just parking with the strollers.
A final hint is that if it looks like a regular stroller, you may need to get a Guest Assistance Card to "use a stroller as a wheelchair." That way, there will be no confusion about whether or not it can be brought into lines.

Thanks for all of the info. I never thought about curbside check in and I am using Magical Express so that end is taken care of too. I guess I was worried for nothing. I'm getting some resistance from my mom on even getting the Convaid because she says he doesn't need it. He can still use a "regular" stroller. I think it is because she doesn't want to admit he is more disabled than he is or she doesn't want people looking at us. Either way I really don't care what she or anyone else thinks. I'll do whatever it takes to make his life easier. If people stare we'll wave back :sunny:
Thanks again
Melissa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter