• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Timer Never been and dont know what to do

disneyfanbcv

Mouseketeer
HI,
We are looking to book Aulani for the very first time. We have never been to Hawaii! Is it cheaper to go through our DVC points or are there better deals with AAA? I guess that is the first question. I am sure I will have many more. A little nervous.
THANK YOU!

I personally feel it is better to book a DVC stay but there are people who frequent these boards who may know better or be of a different opinion.

Sometimes the resort has specials during the off season that include meal credits, transportation and other perks that end up being almost the same price for a hotel room (2 beds) as renting a studio (one bed and a pull out)

The big perk for me for a DVC stay is that parking is included. It is so expensive to park ($37/night) that you do have to factor that in.

It depends on when you plan to go as well. If you are looking at any time soon, you probably wont be able to book that many consecutive nights, if any, through DVC. Aulani needs to be booked around the 7 month mark or longer if you want your choice of accommodation.

For overall cost dvc would be cheaper the majority of the time, generally the discount would have to approach 50%+ for dvc not to be cheaper if you’re just looking at maintenance fee vs. $$$ for room after discounts (normally these don’t go higher than 30-35%). Throw in the free parking and it can be quite a bit cheaper. For dvc there is the “occupancy fee” that dvc is not legally allowed to include in maintenance fees...so add an extra $13 or so per night (it sounds a lot scarier than it actually is) not sure if booking through AAA if they can legally add the fee into room cost or not (if they can they probably do).

It might be possible to get a room slightly cheaper if you wait till there’s a 30-35%+ discount, and use disney gift cards to pay (assuming the target red card discount bit still works), but it won’t be by much... if at all. If AAA is running some airfare + hotel packages they might randomly have one where the flight is cheaper by enough that the savings on the hotel room via dvc might not be a factor...but the more plane tickets you need, the lower the chances that this would happen (but the savings might be better as well).

If budget wise you can only do a deluxe studio or standard hotel room, and aulani isn’t your home resort...you might only be able to get weekday only consecutive days via dvc...if you were looking to get a 1 bdr or bigger (especially ocean view) the odds of getting the days you want are much better.

I can't see how it could possibly be cheaper than DVC. Our maintenance fees for the points we used to stay a week maybe cost us $1200...and then there are no other fees on top of that. If you pay cash you are paying for parking and I think some other nickel and diming type fees possibly also. Plus the room rate when I just checked the other day is obscene for those paying cash

I can't see how it could possibly be cheaper than DVC. Our maintenance fees for the points we used to stay a week maybe cost us $1200...and then there are no other fees on top of that. If you pay cash you are paying for parking and I think some other nickel and diming type fees possibly also. Plus the room rate when I just checked the other day is obscene for those paying cash

Agree 100%! We're looking at returning November 2019 and I looked at the rack rate...over $4000 for the same room category (based on November 2018 prices)....not including airfare! and then food.......etc and so forth. I can't imagine there is a better deal than using our DVC points!

Booked for July, got a 1br room with DVC points for the same price we paid for a studio without DVC...

What to do? Book the hotel room. Fly to Hawaii. Go to the beach. Drink a mai tai. Say “Ahhhh.”
That’s about it, really. :cool2:

No deals with AAA, to my knowledge. At least no deals that are exclusive to them. If Aulani is running a promotion to the general public, AAA can book it. That's about it.

I agree with PPs that using your DVC points is the best way to go. Not only is it a good value with your points, but those staying on points get free parking. Renting a car is a must in Hawaii, IMO. We also were able to get groceries to help ease our food budget and had a microwave and fridge in our room (studio), and because we were on a long trip, by the time we got to Aulani we took advantage of the laundry that was included with our stay on DVC points as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter