FIRST TIMER PARK/TICKET QUESTION

jsrj21

Frathouse
Hello everyone-

I'm sure my story is like thousands of others - huge Disney fans...first time going to Universal Studios.

Quick background - going to Orlando on Aug 8th and spending 5 days outside of Disney [to do some non-Disney things and look around and explore a little]. I'd like to go to US for 2 days but I have no clue how to go about this. It seems that tickets are very high and if you add an option for skipping the main lines, I was over $1000.00 for 3 people. For the record, we have no interest in Volcano Bay per se....

Here are my questions:

1. Is it or would it be cheaper for me to stay onsite?
2. What would you recommend insofar as ticket packages?
3. Which park should we do first as first timers?
4. What would you advise a first-timer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have found no savings or advantage in buying packages

I book for an onsite hotel and tickets can be purchased with 3rd party vendors

Look at the hotel stickies to get an idea if the hotel would suit your needs

All onsite hotels allow early entry an hour before parks open to the public

Many go to the darkside and do not have the express pass and still cover a lot in the parks

We will be first timers (to Orlando itself) this next May. The plan is to stay on site for one night (and hide the cost from DH) but it will get us the EP as well as a night's stay in what appears to be a gorgeous hotel. Mousesavers does a monthly newsletter with a coupon code in it from undercover tourist. That's the cheapest I've found other than a work discount my employer participates in and honestly it's all of 15 bucks less.

As for parks, we are doing the 2 park ticket so we can go via the hogwarts express train to both parks. This also allows us to park hop as desired. Since I'm the planner, I've looked at more ride videos than I can count. I'd look at the map and look at what is important for your family to do. Our plan is to get there early, head straight to the Harry Potter stuff as that is important to us, then ride what we want until someone wants to go back to the hotel. Then we break mid afternoon, and if I can con them into it, head back in the early evening. Something to keep in mind is the parks aren't open as late as Disney. So I'd certainly be sure and check times.

Just wanted to add staying at one of the 3 express pass hotels gets you the free EP for both check in and check out day so one night gets you two days of free EPs. That has been the biggest savings ive found.

Since you'll be down there for 5 open days you may want to also consider 3 days at Uni. Undercover tourist often has buy 2 days-get 1 day free promos and Uni gets much cheaper for the 3rd and 4th day.

I avoid packages and book directly with Loews hotel and then buy tickets through Undercover tourist or directly at Universal (we actually get annual passes for the hotel discount since it pays for itself).

I'd suggest park to park tickets so you can hop back and forth (super super easy) and you can start at the park with early entry if you stay onsite and go from there. If you have EP there's really not a lot of planning needed since you walk on (5-10 minute line) to most rides.

I would always stay on site. It makes things MUCH easier if you need to go back to your room if you forget something, need a break, etc. Plus early entry and no parking fee!

OMG....great advice guys! I will do my homework for Universal.....I feel the same as when I planned my first Disney trip! Kind of a good feeling to be honest!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter