First timer - Please help, I’m going round in circles choosing a resort ..

DisneyBelle12

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

I’m currently planning a trip in 2020 and looking at September time. My boyfriend and I will be travelling and are looking to stay at a moderate resort. We are 25 and it will be both of our first time at Disney.

All the advice I have been reading so far as to which moderate to choose has been very focused around the refurbs at Caribbean Beach and advise to avoid, however I believe this will be finished by the time we travel?

I’ve gone round in circles as to which is my top resort as all seem to have their benefits, so far it seems

- Port Orleans RS & FQ: I like the boat to Springs and it seems the resort looks to be nice and relaxed?
- Caribbean: love the theming and the gondolas but hear it’s very large so buses and getting to parks can be busy/ a problem
- Coronado Springs: I like the rooms in this hotel and it looks like a more adult/modern feel however it doesn’t have the added perk of the boat/gondola which the other resorts have and I like the idea of

Price wise they are all very similar, CS is £150 cheaper for a 2 week stay.

So which resort is your favourite? What are they key benefits or drawbacks and Which would you recommend to us?

Last edited:
I would pick POFQ because the boat to Disney Spring. If you are set on Caribbean Beach go for it, most of the mess will be done by then.

Agree with PO ... Riverside or French Quarter are both nice. If this is a bit of a romantic trip the gardens particularly in the garden section of POR are beautiful, as is the river. Also, being able to boat to Disney Springs is huge. Great dining options there. Happy Planning!

POFQ hands down. It’s s much more manageable size and the only moderate that does not have internal bus stops.

Another vote for POFQ (POR is nice too!). The resort is beautiful and quiet and the boat to DS is a big plus. I stayed at CBR on a trip with my, then, boyfriend in my late 20's and I just remember it felt so spread out and wasn't very enjoyable. I think CSR could be an interesting choice with the addition of the tower and the new restaurant options, but CSR does cater to a convention crowd so, I think, for a young couples trip, I would still lean toward a PO resort.

I have not stayed at a moderate since having my kids, but my husband and I stayed at POR & FQ and also at CSR before kids. We liked CSR the best as it had a more adult vibe. The bus transportation there was great. We also really enjoyed the pool...it was large and there is a pool bar there were you can get food and drinks. We enjoyed getting an adult beverage and laying out at the pool for our mid-day breaks. Happy planning!

Last edited:
Over the years, I've stayed at all of them. My fave, too, is POFQ. I like it because it's small, everything is within a quick walk of the rooms, and has the boat to Disney Springs.

The other 3 are much larger resorts, with multiple bus stops throughout. It can be a hike to the gift shop and food court, but the landscapes and architecture are all nice.

By 2020, CBR will be using the new Skyliner for transportation to and from both Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

I suggest choosing the one that appeals most to you...you can't go wrong!

CS is considered a convention resort. So there usually are plenty of them going on all the time. It tends to be more adult since there are so many convention-goers there. PO is actually two resorts, Riverside and French Quarter. But they share a lot. Riverside is large, FQ is compact. RS has the better/bigger food court, plus tableside dining as well. RS has two themes, a country theme with a cabin-y look and the old antebellum mansion look. But inside, the rooms are pretty similar. CB has shrunk with the tearing down of some of the villages to build the new Disney Vacation Club resort, Riviera. It has changed a lot since we stayed there about three years ago with all the renovations. Plus dining has changed a lot.

One more thing FQ is like a very clean New Orleans without the homeless people sleeping in doorways. Lots of black wrought iron used on the buildings outside to give them that New Orleans look.

I am going to be the one dissenter. I have stayed at CBR, POFQ, and CSR. I love POFQ and with my family dynamic it was teh perfect resort for us. For a young couple I woudl lean towards CSR for all the reasons folks are suggesting you stay away.

It is beautiful, it is large, and it caters to conventions. Because of the convention crowd that resort is more adult centric, and as much as I love kids, it is really nice to have an escape for a while. I love that water taxi to DS but given a choice between that and the dining choices and pool at CSR< CSR wins hands down.

I would choose CSR. I love the theming of this resort. Gives you that island feel. The pool is amazing. Has a deluxe feel to it. Out of all the moderates this was my families favorite. Always had great bus transportation here as well.

My second choice would be Port Orleans French Quart. or Riverside. My family stayed at POfQ during spring break. Didn't really get to enjoy this resort as much as we would have liked. My kids loved the pool area. The boat to Disney Springs was great.

Out of the moderates these two are our favorites. CBR never appealed to our family. We stayed there once and even with the refurb. never had a desire to go back.

I am going to be the one dissenter. I have stayed at CBR, POFQ, and CSR. I love POFQ and with my family dynamic it was teh perfect resort for us. For a young couple I woudl lean towards CSR for all the reasons folks are suggesting you stay away.

It is beautiful, it is large, and it caters to conventions. Because of the convention crowd that resort is more adult centric, and as much as I love kids, it is really nice to have an escape for a while. I love that water taxi to DS but given a choice between that and the dining choices and pool at CSR< CSR wins hands down.
I completely agree.
I don't know if pools are important to OP, but I found the pool at POFQ to be geared heavily towards very young children (maybe under age 6 or so?) It would not be my first choice to stay there if my party didn't include little kids.

All the advice I have been reading so far as to which moderate to choose has been very focused around the refurbs at Caribbean Beach and advise to avoid, however I believe this will be finished by the time we travel?
Yes, to my knowledge the current construction at the resort is primarily related to the gondolas which will be open by then.

- Port Orleans RS & FQ: I like the boat to Springs and it seems the resort looks to be nice and relaxed?
POR is tied with CSR for our favorite moderate. We love the feel of POR and the food court is our favorite on property. POFQ is beautiful as well, but since its a smaller resort, it always feels busy to us. POFQ also has one bus stop - its nice to shorten the ride, but we found it was a free-for-all whenever a bus pulled up and the bus depot got very crowded.

- Caribbean: love the theming and the gondolas but hear it’s very large so buses and getting to parks can be busy/ a problem
I think its been mentioned that the bus situation was remedied by essentially splitting up the bus routes. I believe no one bus will go to more than 4 stops, which is equivalent to the buses at CSR and POR. So I wouldn't let that be a deterrent. They've made some nice layout changes to the resort, and we're thinking about giving it another try. We didn't care much for the main pool, felt it was somewhat small with a choppy layout and crowded seating area. But they have some nice quiet pools if that's all you need.

- Coronado Springs: I like the rooms in this hotel and it looks like a more adult/modern feel however it doesn’t have the added perk of the boat/gondola which the other resorts have and I like the idea of
Definitely one of our favorites. Even though it doesn't have a boat or gondola, it has other perks that makes it feel a little more grand than the other moderates. There are two TS restaurants and a new restaurant on the lagoon opening soon which will be really cool, and the tower will add a new element. Its also centrally located, so the bus rides to any place are not very long. The refurbished rooms are very well appointed, and the main pool here is our favorite. The negative here for us is the convention attendees - we've never had any of them be bothersome, but they do make the outdoor bar crowded as well as the Disney Springs evening buses. I also find they burst my Disney bubble a bit - I travel for work as well, so seeing them with their lanyards in business attire working on laptops and taking conference calls just reminds me too much of work and everything I'm getting behind on while I'm gone!

I like both POR and POFQ, my sister raved about her stay at Coronado. She was on a kid free trip and loved that it didn't seem over-run with kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!