First trip AND solo - tips?

disneyvicky

Earning My Ears
Hello!

I’m heading to Disneyland next month, and though I’ve spent a lot of time looking into what rides I want to go on, etc. I was just wondering if anyone has any extra advice. I’m 23, and I’ve never been to a Disney Park before (always wanted to, never had anyone who was willing, as nobody else in Lyn family had any interest - needless to say I’m very excited!), so it’s my first time, plus I’m going solo. I’m excited, nervous and just want to be as prepared as possible! Any tips, advice or suggestions would be awesome.

Disney is definitely different from any other theme park you can go to! I would say the number one thing would be to get a rough plan set for what rides you want to do and see which offer fastpass; I would also look at getting maxpass for your trip if you're willing to splurge some ($10/day) to help with getting fastpasses.

Radiator Springs Racers will be crowded most of the day so you'll be at an advantage using single rider there if you don't get fastpass (they go fast). Unfortunately DCA is under a lot of construction until the Summer so you'll see a lot of walls around the pier area and TSMM.

The parks will also get really crowded in the afternoon as local passholders get to the parks so try to get as much done in the mornings as you can. If you want to watch the parade/fireworks you'll need to find a spot early as people start to claim spots a few hours before.

Read all the threads on here. That’s my biggest tip! You’ll learn so much. What you’d like too. What to avoid.

You are going to have such an amazing time! I went on my first solo trip in September and had a lot of fun. It's great to be able to take things at your own pace and just take it all in.

Make use of both single rider lines and fastpass (in fact I would upgrade to MaxPass if you really want to make the most of your time)... And be smart about the single rider lines, every so often (like on Splash Mt.) the single rider line can take 30 - 40 minutes if there are a ton of people in it... So in that case stick with Fastpass. Also I would recommend doing a special dinner or something... When you are all by yourself splurging on something like that isn't as painful as when you are with a bunch of friends or 5 family members.

And if it helps here is a video I made from my first solo trio:

Also I think food and treats at Disneyland help make the day extra fun... So here are some of my personal top treats you can grab around the park:

Have so much fun!

Hello!

I’m heading to Disneyland next month, and though I’ve spent a lot of time looking into what rides I want to go on, etc. I was just wondering if anyone has any extra advice. I’m 23, and I’ve never been to a Disney Park before (always wanted to, never had anyone who was willing, as nobody else in Lyn family had any interest - needless to say I’m very excited!), so it’s my first time, plus I’m going solo. I’m excited, nervous and just want to be as prepared as possible! Any tips, advice or suggestions would be awesome.

Catch both World of Color and fantasmic! They are late night

Get some treats at the Jolly Holliday and make sure to get beignets at the French market!

What are your trip dates? Do you have any special interests, e.g. Disney history, special food, favorite characters, etc.? Interested in DisneyBounding? There is so much to see and do at DLR, and going solo is an excellent way to try all kinds of things. Feel free to ask any questions here. And the advice above to read as much as you can in the forum here is good -- you're going to learn so much and be so prepared for your visit!
Tons of great info here:* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here!.

* Texture. Every step and visual encounter is designed for you to feel the texture of the area you are visiting. Antique street lamps and window paintings on Main Street. Wooden sidewalks in Frontierland. Crowded alleys in NOS. Trees in Adventureland. A new visitor could spend an entire day looking for the texture of Disneyland and never ride an attraction.

* Night. There is a whole different Disneyland to explore at night.

*Again. Again. Children take great pleasure in the simple task of being pushed on a swing or whirled about by their arms. Again and again and again. If you missed all the detail on Snow White, you can ride it again. and again, nothing childishness about riding again.

* Restrooms. They are not easy to find. So make a notecard, google earth the locations. Restrooms were the last attraction added to Disneyland.

* There is no such thing as a kiddie ride at Disneyland.

* Strangers abound. They are in costume and will be glad to share a hug, a smile and maybe an autograph. Chances are that when you step thru the Disneyland portal, a stranger maybe waiting to greet you. don't be shy. Unless they are evil.......then take large steps around them.

* Expedition style. visiting Disneyland is a physical task. It requires the correct footwear, weeks of walking before the visit, hydration, snacks , sunglasses or hat, purse with lip balm, snacks, band-aid, moist packet, water bottle, hand sanitizer. And a bench, be that a bench found on the levels of the ROA ( great single visitor area to sit) esplanade or the train. or as a single visitor, go back to Main Street and ride the street vehicles.

* Crush of humanity. All those photos of the finely dress folks at Disneyland for the opening month in 1955,....that concept is long gone, and perhaps their manners also. At Disneyland you will experience humanity has you have never imagined. . The good concept about being a single visitor, is you can handle it in your own fashion.

*Pixie dust. Not found in guides, books, maps, pamphlets, on-line or even here on this site full of great folks. Pixie dust will be that one moment in time that catches you off- guard and you realize that you never saw that magical moment coming at Disneyland. And I think for most of us....we were alone in out thoughts when that pixie dust happened...and no one saw us flying around in joy.

One additional tip. Use the APP. From rides to fast passes to photo pass and bathroom locations. It’s amazing

...so it’s my first time, plus I’m going solo. I’m excited, nervous and just want to be as prepared as possible! Any tips, advice or suggestions would be awesome.

FWIW, I go by myself all the time and I always have a blast. DL is definitely somewhere you can go by yourself and still have a lot of fun. I'm a very independent person, so maybe that's why I do so well on my own. But I also find that most people in lines, etc. are amenable to short conversations, which makes it feel a little less like I'm on my own. I regularly talk with CMs and ask them about their favorite DL stories and almost always I hear some great ones.

Hope you have a great time. DL is absolutely fantastic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts