• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Trip to Cali...LOTS of questions

You might want to start around SF Bay or Monterey Bay. There's are several redwood groves in both areas. The most popular is Muir Woods in Marin County north of San Francisco. Its part of the Golden Gate National Park and I suggest checking out their website to see if there's any other place you want to see that's scenic. South is Monterey Bay which is near the 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach. From there you could head south along Hwy 1 (PCH) to check out the coast. You need to stay in San Francisco a minimum of 2 days, 2 days in the Monterey Bay area (think John Steinbeck), and then another 2 days along Hwy 1. 2 days at Disneyland should be good but 3 might be better. If you really don't want to spend a third at Disneyland, you might want a day trip to venture into Hollywood/LA.

For me, I truly enjoy my time along the Central and northern coast of california because it is absolutely beautiful and romantic. Just a warning though since you will be doing a driving trip in California...gasoline is very expensive here compared to the rest of the United States. Lots of state taxes added to the price that were supposed to be temporary (uh yeah right) and the gasoline here is supposed to have this additive to make it cleaner burning or something. All boils down to is that its quite a sticker shock for those that don't live in the state. We are at $4 (or close to it) a gallon for just the regular stuff.

An old amily Fun article that I saved suggested this trip
1. Monterey

2. Point Lobos State Reserve Carmel

3. Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur

4. Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Big Sur

5. Hearst Castle, Simeon

6. Cambria

7.Morro Bay State Park, Morro Bay

8. San uis Obispo

9. Solvang

10.Anacapa Island

11. Huntingto Beach

12. Disneyland

Lodging Inlcuded
The Beach Resort, Monterey
Best Western Cavalier Oceanfront Resort, San Simeon
La Cuesta Motor Inn, San Luis Obispo
Hilton Waterfront Beach Resort, Huntington Beach
Kiek Creek Camp Ground
Royal Scandinavian Inn, Solvang

out of the list I would skip Solvane, to get to DL quicker! In SLO we love the Apple Farm Inn.

out of the list I would skip Solvane, to get to DL quicker!

I agree.

3 days (2 nights) at DLR is much more recommended (imo) than a day at Solvang. I'd give Solvang an hour tops.

You won't be able to experience DLR properly in just 2 days....& with the 3 day park hopper you get MM.

If you can afford it, I would recommend the Disneyland hotel or even the Paradise Pier hotel, the Grand Californian is the shortest walk to the parks but also the most expensive of the 3 Disney hotels. I don't know if they still do this but on some days hotels guest got early entry into Disneyland. Which could be helpful if your going during a busy time.

There's also tons to see/do in Northern Calif. In San Francisco there's Pier 39, Fishermans Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, Chinatown. You can take a boat to Alcatraz and tour the jail, go to Muir woods to see the redwoods. Drive to Santa cruz for the Boardwalk and the Mystery spot. If you head towards San Jose there is the Winchester Mystery house. Monterey there is the aquarium. It all just depends on what you both are interested in seeing and doing.

Also there are a couple of ways to drive from No. Calif to So. Calif have you decided weather you will be taking the 101 or the 5? If you are taking the 101 and like pea soup I recommend stopping at Anderson's it's actually near Solvang if you plan on making a stop there.

I hope i've been atleast a little help.:)

I am assuming you are flying in. The tricky part is that airports become scarce N. of San Francisco and you can end up doing a lot of backtracking if you head North and then S. You could Fly into Portland, Or. and then drive ALL the way down the coast to DL - Lots of driving.

The SFO to LA trip would be beautiful and with 9 days (does that include travel days to get here and back?) you would have plenty of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter