First trip to California and Disneyland

Unrealmach1

Earning My Ears
My son (age 13) won a state competition here in MI and now gets to compete in Anaheim in May, so we are looking for advice on activities and how to get around in CA. We have been to WDW several times, but this will be our first and possibly only trip out west so we want to enjoy the trip as much as possible. We fly into and out of SNA on Tuesdays, so we have a week. He is competing on Thurs ( mid day), Fri ( early morning) , and possibly Sat so we need to stay close on those days. Rules of the competition state we have to stay at our assigned hotel in Anaheim, so no moving or over night trips. Disneyland is a must do and we are considering the 3 day pass special they currently have running. My son is also dying to see the Hollywood sign and Warner Bros. Tour. I would like to see the San Diego Zoo and maybe the tar pits, but every thing seems far away so here are my questions

1. What are the must do activities everyone recommends?
2. How do we get around? I really don't want to rent a car unless I really have too.
3. Since Warner Bros and Hollywood sign are on my sons list what is the best way to see them / get to them from Anaheim without a car?
4. Go LA card worth buying for this trip? Seems like a good deal, but how do I get to the places on the card?
5. What are the must try restaurants and or food at Disneyland / Anaheim or the trip in general (no seafood)?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Also and website anyone can recommend to research the trip would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Congratulations to your son! How exciting!
This thread will help with DLR information: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.
1. The answers to this really depend on your interests. There are SO many things to do in Southern CA -- the things you have listed sound like a good start and may take up all of your free time as it is.
2. Are you willing to use Uber/Lyft?
3. See above.
5. Ask this question in the Disneyland (California) forum -- that is the trip planning board for DLR. You'll get lots of great advice and suggestions there!

Thanks for the link to the DLR Guide. It looks like that will have a ton of info to look through. I have never used Uber or Lyft, but I am open depending on the cost. I would love to get a 3 day Go La Card, but I am not sure the logistics or cost of getting to any of the attractions. The competition is offering tickets and transportation to some of the attractions like Warner Bros, but they charge $140 a person. That is double the price of the tour, but can I get transportation for my son and I for less than $140 round trip? If not maybe it makes more sense to skip the Go LA Card and just book tours through the competition.

$140 RT sounds high to me. Ask about this on the Disneyland (California) board. Posters there use Uber/Lyft frequently (many to get to USH or to other sites in Hollywood from DLR) so they will be able to quote recent prices and suggest other options, too.

Simply put, California, especially Southern California, requires a car to get around to the touristy locations. We are not like Orlando in the way that the major attractions are so close to one another, especially if you are thinking about heading down to San Diego (where I live). The driving time distance from the Anaheim area to the San Diego Zoo (which is AMAZING I might add) is roughly an hour and a half. The cost of an Uber or Lyft, or a taxi for that matter, would be cost prohibitive (not to mention possibly impossible to get given the distance) versus a rental car. Both LA and San Diego offer rapid transit options, but they are not really viable options if you don't have a lot of time flexibility. If this is a once in a lifetime visit out here, then I'd recommend renting a car in order to give yourselves the greatest flexibility possible. To your questions:

1. What are the must do activities everyone recommends?

Obviously Disneyland. Knott's Berry Farm is close to Disneyland and is a fun theme park. And of course we have Universal Hollywood. If you come down to San Diego, both the famous Zoo and it's sister Safari Park (located in the Escondido area) are great attractions to visit. Hollywood Boulevard is cool, including the walk of fame, plus you can see the Hollywood sign in the distance from there as well. You could even pop in to see a film at Disney's El Capitan Theatre.

2. How do we get around? I really don't want to rent a car unless I really have too.

Honestly, a rental car is your best bet in my opinion.

3. Since Warner Bros and Hollywood sign are on my sons list what is the best way to see them / get to them from Anaheim without a car?

Doing a quick pricing estimate on the Uber site, the lowest one-way price from Anaheim to the Warner Bros Studios in Burbank is around $60 for the lowest fare. Don't quote me on that, but that gives you an idea. So, round-trip you are looking at a minimum of $125 plus tip.

4. Go LA card worth buying for this trip? Seems like a good deal, but how do I get to the places on the card?

Again...rental car makes the most sense to me.

5. What are the must try restaurants and or food at Disneyland / Anaheim or the trip in general (no seafood)?

Oh gosh! In Disney, there are so many good places to eat. It really depends on what you like and how adventurous you are. In the surrounding area of Anaheim, and in Hollywood and San Diego, there are tons of great places to eat! What do you like or want to try?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!