• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First trip to Disney

moes87

Earning My Ears
We are going to disney in 25 days. It will be our first trip. My DH decided to book a week ago so I don't have much time to plan with Christmas coming. We have two children ages 9 & 6. I would appreciate any tips on packing, flying with kids, what park attractions are a must to see. There is so much information out there I am getting overwhelmed. Thanks for your help.

First of all Welcome to the Dis!! You came to the right place as there is oodles of info here!
It must be so exciting to plan a trip like this but your right it can be a tad daunting to hey!
Do you have any specific questions? It would be easier to go from there!
Make sure that you check out all the other forums on this website,you can use forum jump at the bottom of the page to navigate around!
Re: Packing-check the forecast before you go,Orlando has been on the "cool" side lately but that is all relative right-considering it was -20 something here the other day! But you will want to be sure to take along warm clothes.
Smiles
Grover in Winnipeg!
:cool:

Welcome! Where are you staying? How long will you be there?
As far as which attractions are a must see, that really depends on your kids. Do they like scary rides, roller coasters etc., or do they prefer tamer rides and shows?

As Grover said, please be sure to check out the other forums here at the DIS as well and pick up a copy of the Official Guide to Walt Disney World at your local book store.

Hi Moes87! You are going to have so much fun! There is nothing like that first trip to WDW!!

As mentioned previously, pick up a copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW. It has tons of info - everything you need to know. It also has touring plans which will help you navigate your way through each park. The plans work great and help to eliminate some of the "wait" time. It details all the rides and rates them based on age groups, and what to expect, so you won't end up on a ride that your kids will be terrified of.

Depending on how long you're staying, I'd recommend visiting Epcot first, AK/MGM next, and MK last. MK tends to be the favorite for many, and Epcot may not hold up to the younger kids expectations after visiting the best first! Try to plan on some down time, if you're staying on-site, so that you don't get overwhelmed by it all. By all means make plans, but try not to go into "commando" style, where everyone has to stick to the pre-determined plan. Allow for people's mood to change, and expect the kids to get tired and cranky at the end of the day!

Having said all that, here are just a few suggestions apart from the usual rides:

1) ride up front on the monorail. Simply ask an attendant if you can, and they'll do whatever they can to accommodate you. If someone else is already waiting to do the same thing, if you have time, simply wait for the next train.

2) buy some Micky ice cream bars - delicious!!

3) get the kids to search for hidden Mickeys throughout the parks

4) pressed penny machines - great (cheap) keepsakes!

5) take in the parades and fireworks. The maps at each park will give you the times if you don't have enough time to research them before you leave. Some parades are in the afternoon. Fireworks, of course, are in the evenings. All the parks have a parade at some point during the afternoon or evening.

6) plan on a late afternoon/evening at MGM so that you can take in Fantasmic.

7) take a bee-bee gun on It's a Small World After All ride to take out some of those dolls! Just kidding - but it's such an annoying ride, (IMHO), you have to ride it at least once!

the list could go on and on....! Don't worry about trying to see it all on this trip. You can't! It's impossible! So go through the book, decide on what you feel are "must do's" for you and your family on this trip, and save the rest for your return trip next year! :D

I will look for the book it sounds like a good investment. I have a silly question. What are pressed pennies. I have all my change in the film canisters ready to go, but what are they? We are staying at the HIFS, looks like a great place. We are staying for a week. I am getting excited. I think at this point I am more excited than the boys.

Pressed pennies are a great (i.e. cheap) souvenier of your trip. The machines are located throughout the World - they take a penny and 2 quarters, and your penny will be flattened and imprinted with one of a number of WDW-related designs. A list of the available designs and machine locations is here.

If you're looking for a list of what to take with you, an excellent starting point is the packing list available on Deb Wills' site.

One other thing that we like to do - you say you're flying in but you don't state what time you'll arrive in Orlando. If it's late in the day and you don't want to waste a park day for just an hour or two, consider a resort character dinner that evening. Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary is a favourite and it's a great way to get you into the Disney swing of things on your arrival day.

No matter what you do - you'll have a great time. Enjoy!

- Mike

CONGRATS! ENJOY YOUR FIRST (AND NOT YOUR LAST) TRIP! HIFS looks great!

TIPS

1) Prepare yourself for information over load! LOL!

2) Write a list of MUST DO's, include rides, shows, parades, fireworks, characters, meals etc.,. Once you have your list. Start booking Priority Seating at the restaurants and decide what tickets you need.

3) www.digital-disney.com is a great site to see rides, attractions and shows.

4) Make sure you rest at least one part of the day. Either sleep in, or take an afternoon rest/swim or make it an early night.

5) Get a really great camera and move film than you need.

6) On your first park day, pick up all the park maps and look thru them leisurely.

7) Pack light.

8) Enjoy.

9) Relax!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter