First Trip to Florida

Wellard Stallard

Groovy DIS Chick with Attitude
Any top tips for my first visit to Florida in October (for 3 wks) - Have a day booked into Discovery Cove can anyone tell me what thats like? There are 12 of us going. Cant wait!!

Thanks
Paula

:wave:

Welcome Paula!!

My tip, read lots of the brilliant trip reports (espesially for the time you're going) they give loads of info. Loads of UK DISers go in October, and love it!!

Extra tip, ask lots of questions here and start a new thread for each one, someone will always have an answer!!

Enjoy your planning!!

Hi Paula,

You will love Discovery Cove. Its a lovely quiet place. You can swim with the fishes and feed them, you can visit the aviary and feed the birds, you can swim on the lazy river, or you can just grab yourself a lounger and do no more than read your book. The best part of the day, of course, is swimming with the dolphins, this really is a fantastic experience which you'll love!

One other thing I would highly recommend doing in October, especially if you have children in your party, is Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (M.N.S.S.H.P). This is a separate ticket event held at the Magic Kingdom in the evening and is really great fun. The vast majority of the children get dressed up, which is great to see, as do some of the adults, and there is trick or treating stations set up throughout the park.

Have fun planning;)

Annmarie

Hi Paula :wave:

October is our favourite time of year to visit - we shall be there for 3 weeks in October too.

Other not-to-be-missed specials during October are Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios (another separately ticketed event) and the International Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. Each 'country' around World Showcase has samples of its cuisine for a few dollars each (I think the prices actually range between about $1 and $4 depending on what's on offer). Things like Dim Sum at China, Cassoulet at France, Tacos at Mexico, etc. And you can pick up menu cards for those you want to try making yourself. Eating (and drinking ;)) our way around WS is one of our favourite things to do.

As Fiona says, post away with your questions - we all love to talk about Disney!

Hello Paula,

And a BIG WELCOME to the Dis boards:wave: Havn't done Discovery Cove yet but we're booked for April 7th and will let you know how we got on when we come back.

October is a lovely time to go(weather wise) and i'm sure you'll have a ball.

Luv Audrey,
xxxxxxxxx:bounce:

Thanks guys

Any info I get will be a real help. Thanks for the info on Discovery Cove - I have to say Iam really looking forward to that day. My daughter is 14 and she is doing the swim with me, but my husband has bottled out and is doing the non swim - maybe he can video us. There are a few in our group who are doing the swim so it should be cool. We are all staying at a big villa in Southern Dunes (will suit the fellas as they all play golf!) . Has anyone been there? Anyway speak to you soon

Luv Paula

Hi Paula :) :) :)
Just keep firing questions at us and we'll try to give you all the answers you need :)

My DH also opted not to do the dolphin encounter - he did try to video but you have a professional photographer taking close up shots with whoever is with the dolphin at the time so some of the view was masked. Also as there was just me and my two sons, there were four other people in our group - however, sounds like you'll be with your friends/relatives so it will probably be easier to video!!
The encounter is very controlled - you receive a briefing session before you go with your trainer into the dolphin lagoon. After the encounter you are taken to look at the pics - and they really are very good!
In the locker areas there are enormous containers of suncream - they ask that you don't wear your own as it may harm the dolphins etc.
Have you booked for an am or pm encounter?

Hi Shirley

I think we are booked in for a pm swim - so will they actually allow you to video the swim or are they a bit funny about it. I don't mind purchasing any photos but it would better to have video memories.

Paula

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter