Fishing on Castaway Cay

Has anyone every tried the bottom fishing on Castaway Cay?

I had hoped to do this excursion with my son on our last cruise, but it was temporarily (?) discontinued. The CMs advised me over the phone that Disney was presently "in negotiations" with the tour operator. I'm not exactly sure what that means other than no bottom, top or middle fishing on Castaway Cay for the time being...

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
I had hoped to do this excursion with my son on our last cruise, but it was temporarily (?) discontinued. The CMs advised me over the phone that Disney was presently "in negotiations" with the tour operator. I'm not exactly sure what that means other than no bottom, top or middle fishing on Castaway Cay for the time being...

Hey BD, maybe when and if, they start up the fishing again, someone can hook onto my glasses, LOL!!!

Mybrother-in-law and nephew went last Sept. and loved it. My nephew would rather fish then breath. LOL When my sister tried to book it again for our upcoming cruise in Oct. she was told it was not availible.

Thanks for the info...it seems they are offering it for our cruise in November. I hope it's still running....

I just called DCL again and the Fishing is still NOT available for our 10/11/03 cruise:( . Oh well, I will try again next week.

Originally posted by Verandah Man
maybe when and if, they start up the fishing again, someone can hook onto my glasses, LOL!!!

Hey Andy -

My future BIL will be on the cruise in December with us and loves to fish so we will head up the " First Annual Captain Verandah Fishing for Glasses Contest!"

No more women's bathrooms for you!

Originally posted by LG123
Hey Andy -

My future BIL will be on the cruise in December with us and loves to fish so we will head up the " First Annual Captain Verandah Fishing for Glasses Contest!"

No more women's bathrooms for you!

ROFLMBO!!!

Were you able to reserve this excursion? When are you cruising? My boyfriend did this on our November 2002 cruise, and had a great time! We're going in November again this year, and he was really looking forward to this!

Hate to be a party pooper but I did the deep sea fishing trip this past Easter cruise (4/03).

I was very dissapointed because it costs $110.00 and i was very dissappointed to say the least.

Let me explain.

After disembarking the ship you have to go to this hut on the island and wait.

I waited approximately 1/2 hour to go fishing because the people on the island were too busy preparing the parasailing tours.

Everytime I asked the response was "soon" Everybody on the fishing trip was getting annoyed.

By the time we got on the boat it was 10:00. The trip is only until noon because they do two trips a day.

The boats only go out about 1/2 mile max. You can see the island and the Disney ship from where you fish.

We started fishing at around 10:20 and the boat was overcrowded. There was two people who asked to go at the last minute at the hut and they allowed them to go.

I had to sit on a cooler the entire time and was under a canopy when i fished so it was hard to manuever my pole.

I have been fishing many years and really didn't expect it to be like this.

We fished for about 1-1/2 hours moving from spot to spot.

Nobody caught anything bigger than 2-3 pound red snapper.

The captain keeps the fish and brings it home to sell or eat. You cannot take anything (which I didn't expect), however, i thought I would be able to throw it back if I wanted too. They would not allow it. They took everything and put it in there private stash.

After the trip was over I went to the cruise excursion manager and explained that the brochure says that a maximum of 6 people should be on the boat and there was eight. I also explainied my other concerns and received half my money back.

I am sure other people have had a lot of fish and great experience but mine was not.

I could have gone fishing off the far jetty and been about 50 feet from where we fished.

In my opinion it is a big rip off. $110.00 is alot to pay for even two hours of fishing.

Oh well sorry if this seems so negative but I want to at least explain my experience. Maybe that is one of the reasons why Disney has postponed this event.

Other than that, the cruise was fantastic and my family and I loved it.

Good Luck and have fun.

Dear Denvick,

I don't feel you are being negative at all.

I am an avid fisherman, but really only like to keep quality fish (see below). Otherwise, it's take a picture, maybe kiss 'em, and release 'em gently.

I would be QUITE upset if I was told there was a maximum of 6 and they booked -8-. This greatly changes the dynamic of the trip.

I would be VERY upset if they left late but came back on time.

I do realize it is bottom fishing, so the price is a bit steep, but yes I would book it if available.

I would also be the first on at the desk standing at the excursion desk if I encountered the situation you did.

I never expect to catch anything when I go out (Note: Secret to a happy fishing trip AND a happy marriage...Low expectations), that way anything I bring in is a joy.

I do expect the trip to be run as advertised and in a semi-professional manner, especially if it is a ship sponsored excursion/

After hearing your story, it is no wonder DIS has taken the trip down due to "vendor Problems". Hope they resolve it soon.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback!

Hope it was informative!!

I am sure if Disney starts it up again it will be done right!!!

I like the striped bass picture!!!

I am going this sunday night and hope to get one as large as yours!!!!

I hope the hurricane doesn't spoil my trip!!

Dennis

A friend of ours did the CC fishing last September and absolutely raved about it. He is an avid fisherman who owns his own boat and fishes regularly, so it wasn't like he's never fished or anything. He had a really, really great time and is very disappointed not to be albe to do this this year. He caught a fish(sorry don't know what kind) whose measurements I don't remember but it was bigger than his 5 year old son....He took pictures. I don't know how to post them here but I'll try to put up a link if any of you are interested.

Anyway, point is that the fishing is usually always sold out and everybody always raves about it so I would have to say that Denvick's experience probably wasn't the norm.

Denvick,

Good luck an Get a big one!

Sonya,

I will say I would sign up in a heartbeat if they opened it up again.
Everyone keep checking and post the minute they see/hear something.

Fish On!

Jim

It was offered in the excursion brochure that I just received. I will call them tomorrow to see if it is still available.

Jim, we will be on the Magic with you - my husband loves to fish - I have asked our TA to check to see if there is any fly fishing available, as that is his favorite, but he loves fishing of any kind. If there is no excursion, and you are interested in getting a charter together, please let me know - that would make my husband's trip! Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter