Flight craziness August 2018

I've looked at a lot of flights from various UK airports into different airports in Florida, the best I found was Edinburgh to Miami via Heathrow 4th-25th Aug, the flights are with BA to London then Virgin to Miami, 3 adults + 1 child on a "Through" ticket, total came out at £1750 for economy so couldn't resist at that price for August. more travelling but its worth it to see the Mouse :)

Whats a 'through' ticket please?

I don’t know about crazy flight prices in August, but the ones I’m looking at for September/ October are so ridiculous that I actually laughed out loud. BA are 50% less than virgin but stlll more than I’d usually pay. Really regret getting a virgin credit card instead of BA right now...

Flying from London is usually loads cheaper than flying from Norwich, as we have to go via Amsterdam ... but the difference is so small next year that I’m considering paying the extra as it will save us the three hour drive at the end.

Weekend flights are usually more expensive, booking direct with BA or virgin always seems to be more expensive that using a third party to book the exact same flights in my experience. I use several comparison sites for flights and get alerts sent when the prices change. Four of us flew direct last December for £1270, then again in May this year for around £1500. I am currently looking at 16th June for just over two weeks, the lowest I have seen Virgin from London direct was just over £1400 for all four of us. My boys are 13 and 14 so you do save a bit on the Tax for their flights. Admittedly we fly a week or two before the end of term most of the time which has a huge impact on the prices.
I read somewhere that the best time to get the best deal is around 4 months before the date you want to fly.
Always use a flight comparison site for the best deal, I have booked via several different agents Travel up, Netflights etc, and always less than what the flight company is selling for on its website. Beware Norwegian charge for everything, baggage, food etc on top so not always as good as it looks.

Another thought, we have flown indirect before and this makes the immigration thing much easier, you do the immigration at the airport you first land in, get on another flight within an hour or two and once you land at Orlando International airport you are own your way. One time staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge we even checked our baggage in at the hotel in the morning, went off for the day and didn't see the cases again until we got to London. You need to fly with certain airlines to do this, but it was super easy both ways. The lines at Orlando international airport on there last two trips were terrible, it took hours, I worked out the travelling took as long in the end as it would have done if we had flown indirect, purely because of Orlando Airport. Some of the American airlines I have found to be very good, no hidden charges.

Weekend flights are usually more expensive, booking direct with BA or virgin always seems to be more expensive that using a third party to book the exact same flights in my experience. I use several comparison sites for flights and get alerts sent when the prices change. Four of us flew direct last December for £1270, then again in May this year for around £1500. I am currently looking at 16th June for just over two weeks, the lowest I have seen Virgin from London direct was just over £1400 for all four of us. My boys are 13 and 14 so you do save a bit on the Tax for their flights. Admittedly we fly a week or two before the end of term most of the time which has a huge impact on the prices.
I read somewhere that the best time to get the best deal is around 4 months before the date you want to fly.
Always use a flight comparison site for the best deal, I have booked via several different agents Travel up, Netflights etc, and always less than what the flight company is selling for on its website. Beware Norwegian charge for everything, baggage, food etc on top so not always as good as it looks.

Another thought, we have flown indirect before and this makes the immigration thing much easier, you do the immigration at the airport you first land in, get on another flight within an hour or two and once you land at Orlando International airport you are own your way. One time staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge we even checked our baggage in at the hotel in the morning, went off for the day and didn't see the cases again until we got to London. You need to fly with certain airlines to do this, but it was super easy both ways. The lines at Orlando international airport on there last two trips were terrible, it took hours, I worked out the travelling took as long in the end as it would have done if we had flown indirect, purely because of Orlando Airport. Some of the American airlines I have found to be very good, no hidden charges.

So when you book, say Virgin, through a third party, can you still check in online and manage your booking on Virgin's website?

Yes and you can still get your BA or Virgin points things whatever they like to call them. You just log into the website with your booking reference and carry on as you would normally.

I frequently use expedia or such like to book our Virgin flights as we fly out of Dublin or other European airports and it's easy to use the Virgin site to manage the flights.

At last we've booked our flights. Not the cheapest its been for us but its done and we've turned off Skyscanner notifications so if it goes cheaper we'll be non the wiser!! xx

Manchester flights are generally expensive- summer school holidays direct £800 is lowest they will ever go.
For anyone looking though, via Skyscanner there are some Virgin flights, change Atlanta, out from Manchester 20/7 back 2 weeks later at just over £400 a piece- great price. The only downside is you do not land in Orlando until 22:30. Coming back is fine though, back at 7.30 am ish.

That is a great price, I would have looked at those if I hadn't have already booked!!

I do hope someone else takes advantage of a bargain! xx

Manchester flights are generally expensive- summer school holidays direct £800 is lowest they will ever go.
For anyone looking though, via Skyscanner there are some Virgin flights, change Atlanta, out from Manchester 20/7 back 2 weeks later at just over £400 a piece- great price. The only downside is you do not land in Orlando until 22:30. Coming back is fine though, back at 7.30 am ish.

I agree with you prices are extremely high but out of Dublin have rarely paid more than £625 .
However last year I booked on United’s American site and paid using Dollars which worked out at $600 dollars in January
Gone are the days of £360 with low price competitors like Air*****

I agree with you prices are extremely high but out of Dublin have rarely paid more than £625 .
However last year I booked on United’s American site and paid using Dollars which worked out at $600 dollars in January
Gone are the days of £360 with low price competitors like Air*****

I'm glad Dublin is so close to us. We're in Liverpool so it's easy enough for us to fly over to Dublin first xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!