Flight of Passage or Rise of The Resistance? Which is better?

I rode both FOP and RotR for the first time on Jan 4 and 3, respectively. I prefer RotR, mainly because I felt like FOP was so intent on "thrilling" you with speed that you couldn't fully enjoy the vistas or anything else going on. I kept wishing FOP would SLOW DOWN so I could absorb the scenes we were flying through. We did Nav'i River Journey with a FP right after FOP, and I was grateful for the chance to appreciate any details of the world created.
So RotR wins for less frenetic pacing. And the trackless system is cool.
However, my family liked MFSR more than RotR, which I will post on.

I rode both FOP and RotR for the first time on Jan 4 and 3, respectively. I prefer RotR, mainly because I felt like FOP was so intent on "thrilling" you with speed that you couldn't fully enjoy the vistas or anything else going on. I kept wishing FOP would SLOW DOWN so I could absorb the scenes we were flying through. We did Nav'i River Journey with a FP right after FOP, and I was grateful for the chance to appreciate any details of the world created.
So RotR wins for less frenetic pacing. And the trackless system is cool.
However, my family liked MFSR more than RotR, which I will post on.

I also wondered if the 3D quality of FOP would be better if it wasn't so fast paced.

On our last trip (week after Christmas 2019), we rode both FOP and ROTR 2 times each. We really loved FOP and it was MUCH easier/less effort/more surety to ride FOP (FP+ on last day and easy, easy rope drop of AK while everyone was preoccupied with HS).

Our 1st ROTR ride was on the 2nd day of our trip and we rope dropped FOP during EMH.

Right after ROTR, I asked the fam if they wanted to rope drop for it again and they didn't.

After we rope dropped FOP, I asked if I should get rid of the FOP FP+ we had on our last day (same day we were flying out) and they pleaded to keep it because it was their favorite land and ride, so it was a GREAT note to end on.

We did end up rope dropping HS another morning in our trip but that was because we love RnR and TOT and that was our goal. It was a bonus that we got a good BG for ROTR (on a day when BGs were done in less than 2 minutes).

We were very fortunate that both rides on ROTR were walk-ons (early BGs) and seemless as well as our 2 walk-on experiences with FOP (EMH rope drop and FP+), but I think my family (minus my husband) would pick FOP to do if you could only pick one. I actually enjoyed FOP more this time than the first time I went on it 2 years ago. I really let myself get into the experience and everything felt perfect...aside from the fact that the 3D/screen aspect isn't as sharp as reality because of the fast movements.

The problem I have with FOP after RotR is that the FOP screen resolution with the 3d for me kind of sucks. Like Soaring, Disney should eventually look into “upgrading” the video resolution. The mechanical and other effects on FOP make it a great simulator.

RotR is just on another level. You feel, and you are actually there. The video resolution on the cannon bay is out of this world. I only wished that the escape POD part was a little longer.

Reactions: KEW

The video resolution on the cannon bay is out of this world.
This is the section of RotR that blew me away. Riding through that, with the cannons on one side and the view out to space on the other, I truly felt as though I was on a First Order destroyer out in space. I have only ridden it the one time, but we are headed back next week with plans to get two more rides in. Can't wait to take it all in again.

My family of four (two parents and two young adult children) have ridden RotR twice and FOP four times, and we unanimously give FOP the slightest edge. But only very slight! They are both amazing experiences! If you take into account the boring preshow for FOP, that gives the edge to RotR.

I have watched the videos which I don’t think do it justice. I have not ridden. But I think it is more an experience.

They are very different, but for my family, it would be FOP. ROTR is great but we are not big Star Wars fans so I am sure that affects our thinking. However, the Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure at Universal beats them both hands down in my family. We all agreed that it is the best ride we have ever been on.

This is off-topic, but how difficult is it to get on Hagrid`s coaster now? When did you ride (at rope drop, at park closing?)? Thanks!

well, I haven’t had an emotional connection to Avatar since I was 3. . .that being said, FOP is a fun ride, and the images are great, but I have very little patience for the pre-shows, and the amount of time it takes to FINALLY get to the ride (Sure sure, let me stand on my number for what feels like 20 minutes so you can tell me I have fake parasites. thanks) and at the end of the day, it is just a simulator.
I understand Rise also has a ton of pre-shows, but they are so immersive and so fun, and so make me feel like I‘m in a movie I’ve loved most of my life, I don’t mind them in the slightest. also the trackless ride is pretty great, there is so much happening.
also I’d never consider dragging myself out of bed at 4am for a chance to ride FOP.

I’d like to piggyback off this if you don’t mind and ask how frightening it might be for a kindergartner.
My 3 and 4 year old went on the ride. They do get scared fairly easily, but for some reason don't get all that scared of anything from Star Wars. They both absolutely loved it. I think the scariest part for my 3yo was when he was scolded for not staying on the blue line by one of the First Order CMs lol.

No spoilers, but tacking on to what other people have said - there is "no" comparison - Rise every day , all day.

That said -my leanings are towards physical, tangible rides. Give me Guys in Orc Costumes vs CGI-hordes every day of the week. I'd much prefer to spend my time on Tower of Terror than a bunch of screens. I think Flight of Passage is very cool, but I still love various rides in DHS, AK and MK that much more. (sorry Epcot) .

Regarding the scare factor , I would imagine it depends. If the Cast members are "on" for Rise - there's a chance that a child could get scared, thinking "this is real".... but that may also be the case for any number of rides. Prep the child accordingly, "you're going on a Star Wars mission" - and they should be engaged beyond belief....

And yes, our most memorable aspect of the two Rise rides we experienced in December was, mid-way thru , when someone did not "listen" or "obey" a given Cast member. Very Fun stuff.....

This is the Way -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!