Flights from the east coast

From what my research has shown June is the most expensive time of the year to go but I am stuck because DD only will have one week of vacation and the dates are predetermined.

I know. It's crazy. As soon as we book our flights, the prices will go down but it's all good. We can save about $250 by flying United (combined savings for the 2 of us), but I really like the Delta via Atlanta plane better. The two of us can sit together on the way out and back without having someone else right next to us. However, the United flight comes back through Dulles and it's got the 2 seat configuration, too. But, United doesn't appear to have wifi on the leg to Hawaii. Yada Yada Yada. And then there's the Hopper app that keeps telling me to wait until 2-4 months out. YIKES!!! We were originally going to do a one night stop in California both ways but by the time you add in hotels and dinners, it would be about the same as just getting it over with in one day. I have this crazy notebook full of notes, prices, cities, etc. Thank goodness planning is half the fun:)
Yea I would rather fly on a widebody like Delta but I’m gonna wait until Dec 10th to see what SW has to offer.

We fly to Hawaii every may for last 6 years on United out of Chicago. The nonstop leaves around 10 am and gets into Honolulu about 330. The flight home leaves around 3 pm and gets in about 5 am. The coach fare right now for may is about 798 but we do business just because it’s such a long flight. Last year we stopped in LA to go to Disneyland for 3 days on way home. It was fun but I prefer just to get home. At least in Business there is some possibility of sleep flying home.

I am searching for my flight back from HNL to OMA. We are going to Aulani from Feb 10th-17th. I am really mad at myself right now, because back in June, the flight were under $500! Now the flight home is at $627. I still haven't booked it. I am waiting for that 70/60 day mark and hoping the flights drop just bit. We are flying one-way, because we will be in Disneyland from Feb5th-10th. So all my other flights are already booked. I paid about $323 total for two flights from LAX to HNL.. but now two flights home are looking at a total of $1200+

I am very money conscious re: travel and this is how we pieced our flights together and saves a TON of $$$. We live in Southwest MI. Detroit is 2 hours away. We drove to Detroit, flew JetBlue to Boston then took the nonstop Hawaiian Airlines flight from Boston to Honolulu. Like SouthWest, JetBlue has both a generous carry on/checked luggage and seat assignment policy. Hawaiian Airlines is generous with carryons, provides complimentary meals and snacks and allows you to choose your own seat for free. All the other big airlines slap so many additional luggage/seat assignment and food $$$ upgrades that by doing a little creative flying planning we saved $700.

I am very money conscious re: travel and this is how we pieced our flights together and saves a TON of $$$. We live in Southwest MI. Detroit is 2 hours away. We drove to Detroit, flew JetBlue to Boston then took the nonstop Hawaiian Airlines flight from Boston to Honolulu. Like SouthWest, JetBlue has both a generous carry on/checked luggage and seat assignment policy. Hawaiian Airlines is generous with carryons, provides complimentary meals and snacks and allows you to choose your own seat for free. All the other big airlines slap so many additional luggage/seat assignment and food $$$ upgrades that by doing a little creative flying planning we saved $700.
I bet that was a dang long flight non-stop from Boston! We are in StL and looking to fly to Chicago, then ns to HNL.....if you don't mind me asking, what was your Boston-HNL cost? I've been looking at United although we have flyer miles with United and Delta so I tend to look to those airlines to get the miles to add up. But, if Hawaiian Air is that much cheaper I may have to look into that one! What time were your flights from Boston? I konw what you mean about nickel and diming you with regard to picking your seats and having to pay for luggage. Was the checked luggage free or just carry-on? What do you mean about generous carry-on policies?

Hawaiian Airlines Boston/Honolulu roundtrip per person was $399. JetBlue Detroit/Boston roundtrip was $150. Hawaiian Air allows a carry on suitcase and a backpack/personal item per person. Jetblue allows the same thing. And you can choose seats ahead of time for free for both airlines. Saved a ton of money right there. We live 3 hours from achicago and often fly from there. I tried booking Chicago/Honolulu but as soon as I found an awesome deal I realized it was bare bones and had to pay extra for luggage, seat assignments and meals. We were very happy with both airlines. The flight from boston was 10.5 hours. It was long but not bad especially with a ton of Disney+ downloads to keep everyone occupied! 😆. See if maybe you can fly Jetblue or Southwest to California then fly from CA to Honolulu. CA flights to Honolulu are extremely reasonable especially on Hawaiian which was even a little bit less $$ than Southwest. I detest paying airline extra fees - goodness knows Hawaii is expensive enough! Good luck! 😁

Hawaiian Airlines Boston/Honolulu roundtrip per person was $399. JetBlue Detroit/Boston roundtrip was $150. Hawaiian Air allows a carry on suitcase and a backpack/personal item per person. Jetblue allows the same thing. And you can choose seats ahead of time for free for both airlines. Saved a ton of money right there. We live 3 hours from achicago and often fly from there. I tried booking Chicago/Honolulu but as soon as I found an awesome deal I realized it was bare bones and had to pay extra for luggage, seat assignments and meals. We were very happy with both airlines. The flight from boston was 10.5 hours. It was long but not bad especially with a ton of Disney+ downloads to keep everyone occupied! 😆. See if maybe you can fly Jetblue or Southwest to California then fly from CA to Honolulu. CA flights to Honolulu are extremely reasonable especially on Hawaiian which was even a little bit less $$ than Southwest. I detest paying airline extra fees - goodness knows Hawaii is expensive enough! Good luck! 😁
Wow! You had some great rates! I usually really really dislike flying in/out of OHare and separate ticketed flights make me a tad nervous. I will definitely check out Hawaiian Airlines, though. I have enough points with SWA to get a free flight to CA so that may be our best bet! Thanks for the advice! We are used to European flights but our longest straight flight was only 8 hours.....dh will sleep/snore the entire time! I'm usually too excited to sleep!

I bet that was a dang long flight non-stop from Boston! We are in StL and looking to fly to Chicago, then ns to HNL.....if you don't mind me asking, what was your Boston-HNL cost? I've been looking at United although we have flyer miles with United and Delta so I tend to look to those airlines to get the miles to add up. But, if Hawaiian Air is that much cheaper I may have to look into that one! What time were your flights from Boston? I konw what you mean about nickel and diming you with regard to picking your seats and having to pay for luggage. Was the checked luggage free or just carry-on? What do you mean about generous carry-on policies?
Sorry forgot to answer about departure time. We left Boston at 930am and arrived 3pm-ish.

If you want to try the Southwest flight, use the multi-city option and book two reservations: west and then east. For example using multi-city we do BWI to OAK to LIH (Kauai) and then a separate booking HNL to SAN to BWI. The prices are the same from my testing, but it's managed through two reservations instead of four.

Possibly planning our first trip to Aulani next June. How were your flights setup? Looking to fly out of PIT, PHL or any Washington DC airport. Did you fly nonstop? Have an overnight layover on the west coast each way? Just a regular layover somewhere? We are flying with boys 12 and 15. We usually fly southwest to Disney but it’s like piecing a puzzle together on Southwest coming from the east coast to Hawaii. Trying to get there somewhat economical since this would be the most we have even spent flying. What was your experience? What’s your favorite airline and route? Thanks!
We are flying out of Dulles in DC. They have a non-stop, but I didn't think that I could handle a 9 hour flight. So we are stopping in Los Angles. That flight was $675 RT. We have flown to San Francisco and stayed a couple of days and then flown the rest of the way as well. That really helps with the jet lag.

Various websites can provide a list of current non-stop routes to Hawaii. From the East Coast, there will be very few options. Honestly, from the eastern part of the US, it takes SO long to get to Hawaii, you really have to want to go there to deal with the cost/time associated with any of those flights. Connecting flights will take even longer. Some connecting flights add a LOT of travel time.

We have been to Hawaii previously (never been to Aulani) and while a nice place to visit, the cost/time of travel rules it out from being someplace we have any interest in returning.

That Boston-Honolulu flight is currently the longest domestic non--stop flight. My flight info says 11 1/2 hours. We are flying Sat, Jan 25, returning Mon, Feb 3rd and paid $660 for regular coach.

That Boston-Honolulu flight is currently the longest domestic non--stop flight. My flight info says 11 1/2 hours. We are flying Sat, Jan 25, returning Mon, Feb 3rd and paid $660 for regular coach.

Ohhhh East coast to Oahu is painful. I lived in DC for eight years and had to go to Hawaii for work. The non-stop flight on United out of IAD was painful. They always seemed to use the OLDEST planes. Brutal. On American, I found I often had to stop in LAX (ugh) or PHX. I prefer the nonstop over the West coast stops. Just get it over with!

My parents, on the other hand, have had a worse go at it from Boston Logan. I don't think non-stop was an option until more recently. They've had to go via LAX in the past; usually a red eye, etc. For our upcoming trip, they booked flights recenty around the same timeframe as eeyoresmom on Hawaiian (nonstop yay!) and similar price. Can't wait! ✈

Booked out flights with miles on United Card. 90,000 miles for two round trip tix.
Newark to Honolulu nonstop 11 hours. Stay 7 nights in Ocean view Deluxe Studio with points.
Fly to Maui, stay in Lahaina Airbnb for 4 nights.
Fly home from Maui to Newark, with 3 hour lay over in SFO.

We're booked on the BOS-HNL direct flight for our April trip. Coming back we're on United with a layover in Denver. I've been to Hawaii a handful of times (it's my happy place) but this is my first time with the kids.

We flew on Southwest from Pittsburgh this past July. We flew to San Jose, spent the day (toured The Winchester Mystery House very cool, ate at In and Out burger, went to the hotel showered, went to bed). Got up the next day and flew to Honolulu. I used points for all flights. There were 4 of us and the San Jose to Honolulu flights would have been $1500 if I had paid cash. Same thing on way home. Our entire trip was 2 weeks so we had 12 nights on the island this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!