Flights were changed! Advice

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
New to cruising and really traveling as a family. I have 3 nights at WDW booked ahead of a 7 night cruise in August. At the 6 month mark I got an amazing deal on flights with the perfect times out of our small airport in upstate NY. This requires us to transfer in Detroit. I got an email yesterday from Delta stating that all the times have changed! On the way down not a big deal (moved our flight up 30 minutes= earlier morning longer layover) but coming home they pushed back our flight 10 minutes in Orlando and moved up the flight leaving Detroit 10 minutes cutting 20 minutes off our layover! Down to 49 minutes in DTW! Is this doable with 2 7 year olds and a DH in tow? Any advice would be helpful? Should I contact the airline? If I had known these were the times I never would have booked.

You'll be okay...I know it seems like a tight turn around, but we've had shorter layovers in much bigger airports than Detroit. On the way home from vacations, shorter layovers are much better, less time to be in a bad mood!

Personally, I wouldn't worry too terribly much about a 49 minute layover - I've dealt with MUCH tighter ones and I have yet to miss a connecting flight (knock on wood.) Granted, I don't have kids, and I'm not extremely familiar with DTW; however I feel like after making a 10 minute layover work in Atlanta, I can do anything! Haha! I think you'll be just fine :)

New to cruising and really traveling as a family. I have 3 nights at WDW booked ahead of a 7 night cruise in August. At the 6 month mark I got an amazing deal on flights with the perfect times out of our small airport in upstate NY. This requires us to transfer in Detroit. I got an email yesterday from Delta stating that all the times have changed! On the way down not a big deal (moved our flight up 30 minutes= earlier morning longer layover) but coming home they pushed back our flight 10 minutes in Orlando and moved up the flight leaving Detroit 10 minutes cutting 20 minutes off our layover! Down to 49 minutes in DTW! Is this doable with 2 7 year olds and a DH in tow? Any advice would be helpful? Should I contact the airline? If I had known these were the times I never would have booked.

It's not ideal, but I think it's doable, especially with Delta where you will have assigned seats. Chances are the flights will be coming in/leaving from the same terminal so you won't need to worry about that. It does increase the chance of an issue if your flight out of MCO is delayed, but a delay could create an issue even if you had the additional 20 minutes. I wouldn't stress over it.

I think you probably will be fine as well. I will note that we travel frequently to/from Detroit/Orlando with Delta, and the flights usually arrive fairly early. Good luck!

DTW Delta terminal is very easy to navigate. If your kids already know how to use a moving walkway, it’ll be even faster.

I have done multiple layovers in Detroit that are that tight, also on Delta. I will say a lot of them have been in different terminals, though. There is a very cool moving walkway that goes through a tunnel that lights up and does a sound show that the kids will like. Just make sure the kids don't waste time and walk quickly. The terminals are quite long in Detroit.

If you had booked it yourself I might be worried. With the airline making the change, they think you can do it. Having said that, I wouldn't be planning on any food/restroom stops between gates.

This is quite doable in DTW. It's a big airport but they make it easy to get from gate to gate. Just, as said above, no restroom/food breaks. You'll need to go from gate to gate.

I have been on tight layovers in DTW on Delta, including one where Delta cancelled my connecting flight while I was still in the air. I would try to change it. If you are at all delayed and come in from a different terminal, you are really going to have to rush to make your connecting flight. The terminals aren't close and I have not had good customer service experiences with Delta.

Airlines do not offer alternatives or new flights with a transfer which cannot be made.

And yes, I would call. The airline does a suggestion, as for most people it won't make a difference or they just accept. You are not obliged to accept the alternative. If that is the only option available, yes, then there isnt much of a choice, but if there is, you can change.

Another note since you are flying Delta. They should let you change your flight if you wish without a cost. I've had them change flights I've booked way ahead of time and was able to change the flights to those that worked better for us at no fee.

Thanks everyone I'm not as worried as I was before. I think I'm going to give them a call tonight and see what they have to say. Even if I can't switch flights maybe they can move us up a few rows so I can get off sooner. I also wonder about luggage if that's enough time to transfer.

Thanks everyone I'm not as worried as I was before. I think I'm going to give them a call tonight and see what they have to say. Even if I can't switch flights maybe they can move us up a few rows so I can get off sooner. I also wonder about luggage if that's enough time to transfer.

It should be plenty of time for luggage. If you didn't know, you can watch your luggage on the Delta app too. The app can give you updates on where your luggage is and if it made it on the plane. This is a thing of joy and both stress :) On my last flight, one piece of luggage didn't update with the rest and I started to panic. Note, it did make it on the plane and there was just a delay in the system updating.

Another note since you are flying Delta. They should let you change your flight if you wish without a cost. I've had them change flights I've booked way ahead of time and was able to change the flights to those that worked better for us at no fee.
Good point. The rule is "one hour." If Delta has changed your flight more than an hour then they will accommodate your request to do something different for free. I've actually had this work in my favor before. I booked a less desirable time because it was cheaper, and then the flight time got *really* changed, so I ended up getting to move to a better time anyway (that I hadn't bought in the first place because it was too expensive).

If you end up taking the flight, maybe make sure the flight attendants are aware. I don't know if they can do anything these days (there was a time when they called ahead to notify the next flight and let you off first), but maybe you'll get helped off first? Don't know.

You should be fine. Delta is all in the same terminal at DTW and there is a tram within the terminal if your flights are opposite sides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!