Florean Fortescue’s no longer serving Ice Cream in cups?

leiaorgana

DIS Veteran
Saw on another site today that you can only get Ice Cream served in a Waffle Cone or in a souvenir glass at Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour now. No more regular cups.

Is anyone there now or been recently that can confirm this?

I’ll be disappointed if it’s true. Butterbeer Ice Cream is a must every trip but Waffle Cones melt too quickly and I’m not buying the glasses.

Saw on another site today that you can only get Ice Cream served in a Waffle Cone or in a souvenir glass at Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour now. No more regular cups.

Is anyone there now or been recently that can confirm this?

I’ll be disappointed if it’s true. Butterbeer Ice Cream is a must every trip but Waffle Cones melt too quickly and I’m not buying the glasses.

Hmmm, I’ve got several of the glasses, but not sure why they wouldn’t continue to serve the more affordable disposable dishes........?

Hmmm how odd. Why would they not list them on the menu anymore? I read that someone said that they really had to fight to get one in a cup the other day and the staff initially refused but then eventually gave in.

That is really weird. I saw that it wasn't on the menu because I was comparing the price of the soft serve to the hard packed and noticed they didn't list a price for anything in a cup, but when I ordered mine in a cup, the server just repeated my order and started making it. She didn't act like it was strange or make any protests.

I was the the week before last and got ice cream in a cup without a problem.

Perhaps it falls under the big push for no straws to reduce waste school of thought? JMHO paper straws and such cups for ice cream should be made available as an option.

I asked the manager in Florean Fortescues this morning and he said NO more ice cream in cups.......

Waffle cone or souvenir cups only now.

No more Florean Fortescue ice cream for us......I hate waffle cones and don’t need nor want a souvenir cup. We prefer Ben & Jerry’s anyway.

I asked the manager in Florean Fortescues this morning and he said NO more ice cream in cups.......

Waffle cone or souvenir cups only now.

No more Florean Fortescue ice cream for us......I hate waffle cones and don’t need nor want a souvenir cup. We prefer Ben & Jerry’s anyway.

Tacky money grab IMO.

Assume the souvenir cups are NOT akin to the refillable mugs as to reduced pricing lol

I wish they would make up their minds. When someone else asked about this to Guest Services, they said the official stance of the park is to only offer plastic cups or a waffle cone, but if someone requested a disposable paper cup, they do keep them hidden behind the counter and there will be no issue (again, if someone requests them.)

The person that contacted them was the one who initially had the problem...looks like workers/management at Florean's aren't on the same page with Guest Relations. Shame, as they are going to drive people away if they cannot be accommodating.

Tacky money grab IMO.

Assume the souvenir cups are NOT akin to the refillable mugs as to reduced pricing lol

Absolutely......and no, no signs for reduced cost for a refill.....if they were there I never saw them.

I wish they would make up their minds. When someone else asked about this to Guest Services, they said the official stance of the park is to only offer plastic cups or a waffle cone, but if someone requested a disposable paper cup, they do keep them hidden behind the counter and there will be no issue (again, if someone requests them.)

The person that contacted them was the one who initially had the problem...looks like workers/management at Florean's aren't on the same page with Guest Relations. Shame, as they are going to drive people away if they cannot be accommodating.

I agree....they need a consistent policy.

We didn’t push it and just asked the question, were the cups going to be available in any way and he definitively said no.

Aww if nothing else, this chat reminds me of one of my favourite moments of my trip in March.

Sitting in a practically empty (EE that morning) Diagon Alley after doing Gringotts, eating my little tub of ice cream, and thinking to myself, this is so strange eating ice cream first thing in the morning, but you know what, I'm on holiday, why not!

Oh and having a lovely chat with the team member on the refreshment cart, I wish I could remember her name, hey ho, sorry to get away from the main topic, but just thought I'd share :)

I always got the cone, so I don't remember - was the ice cream in cups much less expensive? Perhaps you could bring your own cup to dump the ice cream into for the gluten free daughter? Not an ideal solution, but if she really wants the ice cream...

Universal definitely should have something for gluten free folks other than buying a souvenir glass.

I think it was around $1 more for a cone. I am all for taking steps to reduce waste, carbon emissions, etc etc but this is ridiculous. Not everyone wants the flavor or crunch of a waffle cone to go with the ice cream, or wants to pay more for it. Some can’t eat it. Paper is at least biodegradable, unlike the plastic silverware, styrofoam, etc.

Looks like the price of a waffle cone has dropped .50, so it’s right inbetween what a cup used to cost and the old cone price. Sundaes come in a souveneir cup according to their website. And boy, I didn’t realize how much they’ve dropped the price on that over the years! Looks like it was $10.99 when Diagon Alley first opened, for the specialty sundae anyways. Now it’s 7.49/8.49 and looks likes there is no specialty sundae anymore. It was never worth $10.99- it’s just cheap plastic. Not that lowering the price makes it ok to eliminate paper cups.

I always got the cone, so I don't remember - was the ice cream in cups much less expensive? Perhaps you could bring your own cup to dump the ice cream into for the gluten free daughter? Not an ideal solution, but if she really wants the ice cream...

Universal definitely should have something for gluten free folks other than buying a souvenir glass.

If her daughter is particularly sensitive to gluten and/or Celiac, the cross-contamination from the cone would be a concern even if she put it from the cone into a cup.

If it is mostly a money grab, perhaps they will start to offer the cups for the same price as the cone? That is what most places do that offer regular cones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!