Florida Keys

We really enjoy Key West and make the drive from Miami/Ft Lauderdale almost every year. We've also driven from WDW.

I highly recommend a SunPass transponder. This will allow you to use the toll lanes (kinda like HOV lanes but for a fee) through Miami.

If coming from Orlando, a stop off in Miami is nice. We like South Beach, we have a nice dinner and take a walk around the area for people watching and enjoying the Art Deco buildings. The next day we have an early start to the Keys and are usually in Key West by lunch time.

If you make the whole drive at once Alabama Jacks in Key Largo is fun for lunch.
How long a drive from Fort Lauderdale to the keys? and where to get a transponder? we're going to rent a car,and I will have to pay for that with the rental I guess?

About 4 hours, not sure about the toll Express lanes out of FLL. We used the transponder getting out of South Beach. Miami traffic is baaaaad.

There aren't manned toll booths down there. It's all SunPass I think. We go a lot and the transponder was cheaper than going through the rental car people. The express lane was a nice bonus. I ordered it here:

https://www.sunpass.com/mobile/index

We just keep it with our travel stuff and reload it when needed.

How long a drive from Fort Lauderdale to the keys? and where to get a transponder? we're going to rent a car,and I will have to pay for that with the rental I guess?
I live in key west. Any questions please feel free to ask here or pm me. Ft lauderdale to key west is about 3.5 hours. I recommend you base the timing of your trip around miami rush hour. Once you get past the Miami airport traffic gets better. Don't take 95 take the turnpike. Traffic headed south is worse in the pm rush hour. Headed north is worse in the morning. As far as a SunPass you don't need to buy one. With a rental car they will bill by plate.

After we go to WDW in December, we are heading down to the keys. Right now I'm thinking we will go to Key West for 2 nights then 1 night at Islamorada. I've been looking at hotels in Key West and I'm having trouble picking one.

It seems like Islamorada is a good place to visit but I would be open to the other keys, any advice? Also, any advice for this road trip would be great. It will be me, my husband, and our daughter who will be 15 months at the time.
Key west local here. Bahia Honda should definitely be on your list. It's a beautiful state park. That's near Marathon and Big pine. As far as islamorda I don't know all that much. I just drive through it on the way to the mainland. The theater by the sea is up that way you may want to research it. I highly recommend taking some type of boat tour while you are here. A lot of people just see duval street and the bars and over look some of the hidden gems of key west. The water here is amazing. What time of year are you coming?

I live in key west. Any questions please feel free to ask here or pm me. Ft lauderdale to key west is about 3.5 hours. I recommend you base the timing of your trip around miami rush hour. Once you get past the Miami airport traffic gets better. Don't take 95 take the turnpike. Traffic headed south is worse in the pm rush hour. Headed north is worse in the morning. As far as a SunPass you don't need to buy one. With a rental car they will bill by plate.
Great tips! Thanks!
Key west local here. Bahia Honda should definitely be on your list. It's a beautiful state park. That's near Marathon and Big pine. As far as islamorda I don't know all that much. I just drive through it on the way to the mainland. The theater by the sea is up that way you may want to research it. I highly recommend taking some type of boat tour while you are here. A lot of people just see duval street and the bars and over look some of the hidden gems of key west. The water here is amazing. What time of year are you coming?
Thanks for the tips! I think I've traded out Islamorada for Marathon. I think the dolphin research center and turtle hospital look interesting in Marathon. I'll look into the places you mentioned. We will be there at the beginning of December.

So, I have this portion of the trip planned and was really excited about it. But now I'm not sure if we should go or not due to damage from the hurricane. I'm not sure how much will be back open by the beginning of December. Should I find something else to do or should we just go for it?

Are your reservations in Marathon or Key West? Key West weathered the storm much better. It is a very special place with lots to do. The areas impacted from the storm (Marathon) will be a bit depressing for a while. I read the Sombrero Beach is basically gone. Marathon would be worthy of a day trip, but I think Key West will be much nicer at this point. If you are on a budget, there are nice rental houses with a pool near Stock Island (if they are Ok after the storm).

Check out reviews on TripAdvisor. There is great info there.

Are your reservations in Marathon or Key West? Key West weathered the storm much better. It is a very special place with lots to do. The areas impacted from the storm (Marathon) will be a bit depressing for a while. I read the Sombrero Beach is basically gone. Marathon would be worthy of a day trip, but I think Key West will be much nicer at this point. If you are on a budget, there are nice rental houses with a pool near Stock Island (if they are Ok after the storm).

Check out reviews on TripAdvisor. There is great info there.

Right now we are staying at both Key West and Marathon. I know that the resort in Marathon we are staying at opened back up at the beginning of October. Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check into trip advisor!

We like to stop at Robert was Here fruit stand in Homestead for fruit milkshakes on the way. Mrs. Macs restaurant on Key Largo has great fried shrimp if you get hungry in Key Largo. If the dock at Robbie's in Islamorada is open, stop by to feed the tarpon.

I second the suggestion of getting a Florida Sunpass. I had it mailed to my home before my trip and saved time and money at the toll booths. The tolls are rather expensive on the way from Orlando. I think one stretch was over $13.

The magic in Key West is from sunset until late in the evening. Make sure to go to Mallory Square each evening before sunset and watch the show.

As cool as the drive to Key West is, it's a long way. We are going for four nights/three days end of February/beginning of March and opted to fly down and back. Key West high season is pretty pricey when it comes to lodging and our timeframe is high season. Given that we opted for the Best Western Hibiscus (pool view - double queen room) // includes a continental b-fast, mini frig and microwave in room. With tax we are paying $323 a night. The real plus about this is that it is walking distance to old town, so we don't need a car and can walk everywhere. This motel is one of the less expensive options that is well reviewed on trip advisor that is walking distance to lots of the attractions in old town/Duval street. Many people like to do bed and breakfast's in Key West too and some of these are some of the more economical options in Old Town also. We wanted a double queen room, so that limited B&B options, but there were some. But then we also wanted our own mini frig and microwave and we didn't find any B&Bs with that. DS is a picky eater, so a microwave and mini frig our own snacks, etc. is a really handy option. Also, he'd eat the Best Western continental B-fast food, but not the slightly more gourmet b-fast offerings at the B and Bs. That made this an easy choice for us. There are tons of great restaurants that we have heard about and see that will work great for both the foodie and picky eater, so I think this will work well.

Do note that prices vary a lot based on time of year, but Key West has gotten to be very popular, and I and many were quite surprised at how pricey lodging is, especially when you compare it to some place like Orlando lol.

Our stay will be pretty relaxed with pool time etc.

We on the mini stay plan to:
Day 1
do the trolley tour
do the Hemmingway house
Pool time
Hit Duval in the evening for dinner

Day 2
check out the Southernmost point sign
Butterfly Conservatory
West Marlo Towers and Gardens
pool time
Commotion on the Ocean Music Sunset sail

Day 3
Fort Zachary Historic State Park
We plan to do the 11 a.m. tour of the fort there
Then check out the beach and have lunch over there
Some pool time
Hit Duval in the evening for dinner

Please note that Key West is NOT known for it's beaches. It's known for a cool laid back vibe, but there are much better beaches elsewhere in Florida. We aren't beach people. Maybe that's why we usually when we go to Florida go to Orlando. As non beach people for the most part, Key West should work well for us, and in fact we are doing a mini trip there instead of a mini trip to Orlando in 2018 / no Orlando for us next year.

Hey, though, in November this year we will be hitting Orlando -- less than a month away for our mini trip there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter