Flying back to US from Canada & Customs

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
For AK cruises, flying back to US - You go through US customs at the first US airport you land in, correct? Or do you go through customs before you board the plane in Vancouver?

I'm seeing flights from Vancouver to an US airport with a 30-40 minute layover and it doesn't seem to me that it's enough time to go through customs and get to the connecting flight. Is it enough time?

I went on the DCL Alaskan cruise last summer. I went through Canadian customs BEFORE boarding my flight back to the US. 30-40 minutes was not enough time, it took almost an hour. Of course, I was flying back the day after the Orlando shootings, so security might have been up a bit. I hope this helps.

I can't even remember the last time I had a layover. Is 30-40 minutes typically enough time to deplane, and run to another gate? Assuming no delays? It doesn't sound like enough since most domestic flights board 30 minutes before departure time.

I get that you would go through customs getting off the ship in Vancouver, but why would you go through customs before getting on the plane? I would think you'd have to go through customs at the first airport you land in? We've made 30-40 minute layovers but it's only been when the connecting flight was at a small airport and the airlines gates were literally just 1-2 gates over--made the connection fine (but we had no delays).

I get that you would go through customs getting off the ship in Vancouver, but why would you go through customs before getting on the plane? I would think you'd have to go through customs at the first airport you land in? We've made 30-40 minute layovers but it's only been when the connecting flight was at a small airport and the airlines gates were literally just 1-2 gates over--made the connection fine (but we had no delays).

When you disembark the Wonder in Vancouver you go through CANADIAN customs. Then when you are flying to the US from Vancouver you go through US customs at the Vancouver airport.
http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/nav...-immigration/us-customs-and-border-protection

That's what I originally assumed since you don't go through customs going TO Vancouver until you land there, but it turns out, in reverse, that's not the case.

I get that you would go through customs getting off the ship in Vancouver, but why would you go through customs before getting on the plane? I would think you'd have to go through customs at the first airport you land in?

Because Canada!

Their main airports have you go through US customs while still there in Canada so you don't have to do it once in the US.

Also hapoens flying out of Shannon. And maybe Dublin.

Canadian here- the above posters are correct you go through customs in Canada. It's so US customs in Vancouver can deny you to start with they wont allow you to travel to your US destination then go through customs only to deny entry there, too late you're already in the US. I've actually had family denied at Vancouver missed their flight only to be allowed through hours later. So the 30 minute layover has nothing to do with customs if you feel you can make it plane to plane go for it, just leave plenty of time ship to flight for US customs at Vancouver it is one of the busiest airports in Canada

Yep, when you land in Canada you'll go through custom to enter our country but when you leave, you'll go through the US customs at the Canadian airport.

On the way to the cruise we'll be flying in from Austin, with a plane change at Los Angeles, then into Vancouver. So will we go through customs in Austin, Los Angeles or Vancouver? First international flight since age 5, so I'm clueless. Thanks!

On the way to the cruise we'll be flying in from Austin, with a plane change at Los Angeles, then into Vancouver. So will we go through customs in Austin, Los Angeles or Vancouver? First international flight since age 5, so I'm clueless. Thanks!
You will go through Canadian customs when you arrive in Vancouver.

When you depart Vancouver to return to the US after your cruise, you will go through US customs prior to boarding your flight. This has the benefit of allowing your return flight to land at a domestic gate at the arriving airport rather than having to go through a gate at the international terminal. This was a particular convenience when we flew Vancouver to Chicago O'Hare, since the international terminal at O'Hare can be particularly busy. If you are returning with the plane change in Los Angeles, your checkd luggage will already be cleared so it can simply transfer to your connecting flight into Austin.

When you depart Vancouver to return to the US after your cruise, you will go through US customs prior to boarding your flight. This has the benefit of allowing your return flight to land at a domestic gate at the arriving airport rather than having to go through a gate at the international terminal. This was a particular convenience when we flew Vancouver to Chicago O'Hare, since the international terminal at O'Hare can be particularly busy. If you are returning with the plane change in Los Angeles, your checkd luggage will already be cleared so it can simply transfer to your connecting flight into Austin.
Thanks! I'm glad to know we won't have to clear customs in Los Angeles.

What about our luggage on the way over? Will we be able to check it from Austin straight through to Vancouver?

For those of you that have Global Entry (which I highly recommend), they have dedicated lines both at the port (when you arrive to board the cruise, at which point you are technically entering the US) and at the Vancouver airport (where again, you are technically entering the US before your flight). Seemed to save us a good bit of time based on the lines we saw for routine clearance.

For those of you that have Global Entry (which I highly recommend), they have dedicated lines both at the port (when you arrive to board the cruise, at which point you are technically entering the US) and at the Vancouver airport (where again, you are technically entering the US before your flight). Seemed to save us a good bit of time based on the lines we saw for routine clearance.
Along with this, if you have Global Entry, remember to take your Global Entry card with you so that you can get in the dedicated security line at the Vancouver airport. Even though the info is in your passport chip, it doesn't physically say anywhere on your passport that you have GE, so they wouldn't let us in that line without the card. But when going through the passport check we were able to use the shorter lines with the kiosks. The procedures may have changed in the past 2 years, but that's what we encountered in 2015.

I get that you would go through customs getting off the ship in Vancouver, but why would you go through customs before getting on the plane? I would think you'd have to go through customs at the first airport you land in?

Some Canadian airports have US customs and immigration there instead of having to go through when you land. Pearson Airport in Toronto as well as Vancouver have this. Not all Canadian airports are like this but some of the larger ones do. That's why people flying from smaller airports in Canada that connect through those airports on their way to the US have to identify their luggage and go through customs and immigration in the connecting airport. If they're flying to the US direct from those airports, they go through customs and immigration in the destination airport. You have to adjust your time accordingly at the starting airport or connecting airport. That's why people flying Toronto to Orlando, either to go to WDW or on a DCL cruise, can use the luggage tags and never have to pick up their luggage because they've already cleared customs. It just means you have to arrive at Pearson an hour earlier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter