Flying in to San Diego

Gigi@Disney

HiYa Mouseketeers
flying in to San Diego, is there a way to get to Escondido without renting a car? TIA!

Escondido is at least a 90 minute drive from the airport. So, while possible, a taxi would be very pricey. Renting a car is probably your most cost effective option.

Probably the most affordable would be a ride-sharing van. They are available at the airport where they have ground transportation.

Escondido is at least a 90 minute drive from the airport. So, while possible, a taxi would be very pricey. Renting a car is probably your most cost effective option.

Uber/ride sharing is probably the best bet - though Escondido is only about 35/40 minutes from SAN and not 90 minutes as posted above.

Escondido is only 30 miles from downtown SD (where the airport is.) Even during peak rush hour it's only a 60 minute commute. Normally it's a standard 30 - 40 minute drive.

That being said there is bus service between downtown and Escondido. Looks like busses depart every 15 minutes. Cost is only $2.50 one way and the route takes an hour. One would need to Uber from the airport to Santa Fe depot downtown (will take 10-15 min for no more than 10 bucks.) Here's the link for the OP.

https://www.sdmts.com/sites/all/themes/mts/templates/sdg/pdf/235.pdf

Thanks very much!

We used to live in Vista so I'm comfortable with the area but trying to figure out maybe renting a car in San Diego and dropping it off in Escondido - thanks again.

Escondido is only 30 miles from downtown SD (where the airport is.) Even during peak rush hour it's only a 60 minute commute. Normally it's a standard 30 - 40 minute drive.

That being said there is bus service between downtown and Escondido. Looks like busses depart every 15 minutes. Cost is only $2.50 one way and the route takes an hour. One would need to Uber from the airport to Santa Fe depot downtown (will take 10-15 min for no more than 10 bucks.) Here's the link for the OP.

https://www.sdmts.com/sites/all/themes/mts/templates/sdg/pdf/235.pdf
Oh I didn't see this! Thank you!!!

Oh I didn't see this! Thank you!!!

You're welcome. The advantage of the bus if you're traveling solo (as opposed to renting a car) will be that it will use the HOV lanes, skipping any potential traffic tie-ups. The 1 hour commute time which includes a couple stops should be pretty accurate.

Last edited:
Look at what time you arrive and what time you need to be in Escondido. It can take over 2 hours depending on the bus schedule. You can use Google Maps public transportation search and enter days and times to get the schedules. I'd check both from the airport and Santa Fe Depot, since it's relatively easy to get to Santa Fe Depot and you'll have more options from there. If you have a specific address in Escondido that will narrow your options.

I work right near the airport, just checked Uber to Escondido CA right now is $37.50 in case you were wondering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!